Print Story The Great K5 Emigration of 2003
By jimgon (Sun Aug 27, 2017 at 08:57:16 AM EST) (all tags)
 The other day I was looking at old email and I found my original account email.  8/27/2003.

That's when I followed Blixco off K5 and onto HuSi.  It's the oldest email in my Yahoo account.  I also found an email for the Boston-HuSiMeet of 2004.  Here we are fourteen years later.  Still on HuSI and connected in Facebook and Twitter and many other HuSiMeets.

Over those fourteen years I've almost gotten a divorce, bought a house, been fired when my employer found my HuSi account, quit a job at the start of the Great Recession, left another job and returned to it after eleven weeks at the Worst Job Ever.  Somewhere in there I've spent a lot of money servicing debt. And I'm still on HuSi and still married to the same person as at the start.

I'm still employed at Super Mega Corporation which just keeps getting bigger.  I've been based in Hartford for the last eight years.  The company opened a building in Boston about a year ago and I've considered asking for a transfer, but I haven't been able to come up with a decent cost benefit. Most commuting options are more expensive than driving to Hartford every day.  But the cost is currently at about $50 more a month.  So I'm considering it further.  The facility is about two blocks from Fenway Park (not that that is really part of my consideration).

For those keeping track I'm still not using Facebook.  I logged on to change my password last week because I got some text messages indicating someone was trying to do a password reset on my account.  I took a look at some comments from some people I don't know on some posts by friends and decided to stay away.  From what I saw in five minutes it seems FB is still toxic and not the place for me.  What I like about Twitter is that the way they handle replies to posts there's limited temptation to read them, so no matter the toxicity it's easier to avoid on Twitter than FB.

Otherwise not much has changed.
< Or probably more like hanging around | First ride of the year >
The Great K5 Emigration of 2003 | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
+5 by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Aug 27, 2017 at 11:03:01 AM EST
...in the sense that my user ID is five more than yours, so I guess I've been here for about the same length of time.

And how things change, and yet remain the same. I'm living alone (again) in the same house, working in the same office on (a different aspect of) the same project. In the meanwhile I've discovered a few things about myself... Marriage is... not for me, apparently. My gender really is fluid or surreal or something with no words to fit. I can write a coherent novel that's pretty readable. Getting old while being alone is going to suck; best find a better situation sooner rather than later. Never promise forever, or, for that matter, never.

Keep on keeping on, my friend.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Interesting by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Aug 31, 2017 at 08:30:26 AM EST
I would have thought it was longer than that, but looking at my curl'ed copy of my old diaries my first post was in September, 2003.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It's a blur by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 31, 2017 at 08:23:55 PM EST
The end of the K5 diaries and start of the HuSi diaries have a lot of crossover, so it's hard to remember the breakpoint.

---------------
tl;dr by Noogie Brown (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Sep 05, 2017 at 07:37:22 PM EST

Back in my day... by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Oct 24, 2017 at 10:54:13 AM EST
we didn't have teh inter-tubes. We wrote on rocks and threw them at eachothers heads. And we liked it! We liked it just fine.

Congrats on staying married. Hard work, that.

The Great K5 Emigration of 2003 | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)