Print Story Or probably more like hanging around
By TheophileEscargot (Thu Aug 24, 2017 at 01:12:08 AM EST) Reading, MLP, Watching, Me (all tags)
Reading: "The Hanging Tree". Watching. Me. Links.

What I'm Reading
The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch. Latest entry in the Peter Grant / Rivers of London series about policeman learning magic in a special police unit to combat supernatural threats.

The series started out well, and there's still some appeal in the way it mixes magic with apparently accurate police jargon and methodologies. But again this entry is lacklustre. The new characters aren't that interesting. There aren't any intriguing new locations or magical systems. The ongoing plot doesn't really go anywhere, and the novel-level plot just repeats previous books.

I didn't bother buying this one, just caught it at the library. Not sure if I'll keep going. Mildly entertaining on its own, but disappointing that the series just seems to be spinning its wheels.

What I'm Watching
Saw the Keanu Reeves action movie John Wick on the small screen. For me it sort of fell between two stools, not plausible enough to be involving, not exaggerated enough to be impressive. Lots of the fight scenes are very similar as Keanu mows through fields of henchman, but nothing really stood out in memory.

Me
In my last week of dieting. Weight loss seems to have plateaued, though I've now started jogging again so it's conceivable that I've been losing fat at about the same rate I'm putting on lower body muscle.

I stopped running years ago as it was hard on my knees. This time I'm trying to stick to running on grass instead of tarmac, just doing early morning circuits of a small local park. Still some knee pain though: apparently sometimes it goes away as you build muscle, will keep an eye on it. Been doing only slow jogging so far. According to a step counter app the last time I did 5.3km at 9.2kph, or 3.22 miles at 5.7mph. Ideally I'd like speed up to a proper running pace, then work on increasing the distance, but will see what my knees allow. Considering getting some new super-cushioned trainers but they're pricey.

Been shifted teams for one week, then shifted again onto another team. Not Scrum Mastering at the moment. It's vastly less stressful at the moment as we're just at the start instead of struggling against deadlines and there's less responsibility. It will definitely ramp up though as it's yet another Super Important Super Urgent blah blah blah.

Links
Socioeconomics. What Google Bros Have in Common With Medieval Beer Bros. Teaching ‘grit’ is bad for children, and bad for democracy. Linguistic data analysis of 3 billion Reddit comments shows the alt-right is getting stronger. What the evidence says about the Google memo.

Politics. Centrists attack the left, but they are the true ideologues. Who are the antifa? Parallels between minor SF kerfuffles & real world politics are both trite & true. Traingate again. Jon Snow: Grenfell proved it: the British media are part of a disconnected elite. Exxon treated climate change very differently in internal docs.

Random. The 26 Worst Products for Men Ever Created.

Articles. Terminator 2: Judgment Day Is Still a Deeply Upsetting Blockbuster.

< Trying to get fit again
Or probably more like hanging around | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Grit. by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Aug 24, 2017 at 01:30:48 AM EST
I'm not sure this critique is very good. Really is grit the culprit for the lack of questioning in the examples posed?

As an aside: https://cogsci.stackexchange.com/questions/17174/what-is-the-correlation-between-grit-and-big-5-conscientiousness

British media is a joke. by gmd (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 24, 2017 at 02:59:43 PM EST
I am not alone amongst my peers in having all but abandoned the British mainstream media, except as a source of amusement. The. bc bias has been demonstrated again and again. I get my news from press tv, russia today and other less "establishment" outlets.
At this point I feel there is no way for it to regain credibikity. For the BBC it will always be "the organisation that covered up for Savile and his friends in hugh places".

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
"grit" by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Aug 24, 2017 at 07:42:18 PM EST
That article seems to me to be exactly backwards.  People dumped tea in the harbor because they were the sorts to damn well make things happen, not sit around and be rescued.   Passive citizens are exactly what authoritarian governments want.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Damore by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Aug 24, 2017 at 09:16:59 PM EST
This is long and sloppy after every attempt to shorten and neaten it, even after a rewrite. C'est la vie.

I was hoping (and still am, a little) his memo would bring a watershed moment. In my opinion it's almost a perfect document, not because it's entirely right, but because it's probably mostly wrong. But it's right in one way the literature virtually never mentions:

We need to talk, and it's okay to be wrong.

Few analyses mention this, even though he wrote about it. When they do, they talk about how we need to be able to talk, but don't really embrace the acceptability of being wrong. The fact is, our heads are networks of classifiers, from one perspective, and they're not perfect and simply cannot be. We will always believe wrong things to some extent.

Right or wrong aside, about a year ago I noticed the twitter crowd being very hostile to science and sound logic they didn't agree with. At some point the argument they shouldn't have to suffer emotionally because of all the suffering they've endured already at the hands of rationalizing oppressors. I can appreciate the sentiment, but it's definitely not going to help anything.

The author of this analysis spends an inordinate amount of space on themself, which I think is poor form. I doubt the drafts of all my resumes concatenated would reach that length, but I scrolled past it as quickly as possible.

This is a bit of a problem. When trying to convince a crowd made up partly of people who regard the gender queer as largely attention-seeking drama queens (pardon the expression), this amounts to fuel for the fire. This isn't needed to convince the choir. An infobox-sized bio would serve everyone better.

I've no doubt that there are some guilty of bad-faith attention seeking, though I know nearly as many people in real life as I've heard of online, so the perception to which it is justified is likely based on the vocal minority. Another issue is the mentally ill exist in all groups, and some people will conflate group membership with symptoms of the illness. Although I believe that's more often malicious than not.

Attention-seeking behavior in this space is fundamentally damaging, I think. Even simply to gain a following to support your fellow X. This promotes groupthink around your position and closes down any honest discussion of controversial ideas. I worry about an egoist being more likely to make disingenuous statements, and to create controversy and animosity simply to feed their own popularity. I don't know if it's true or to what degree it has an effect, but I've been a victim of the former effect and watched as many, many, many more from various positions have been its victim as well.

Chill out, snowflake.

Quartz by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Aug 25, 2017 at 01:41:00 AM EST
Not a fan of the article but I wasn't going to bring it up. Then I happened on this comment just now. It's a different author, but the reek is kind of the same. They tend to normalize on a per-publication basis from what I've seen.

Chill out, snowflake.

26 worst products? by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Aug 25, 2017 at 07:38:45 AM EST
The people running that site need to spend some time at Lileks looking around.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Knee pain when running by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Aug 25, 2017 at 07:21:05 PM EST
For me, it was all about the shoe. I haven't had knee pain since switching to shoes with a 0 drop sole. I tried going back to even a "minimalist" running shoe a couple of years ago (Nike Free 4.0) and knee pain started popping up. Currently I'm running in Merrell Vapor Gloves. The sole is a flat 5mm of Vibram rubber. If you're running regularly, getting shoes that fit your gait is pretty important.

For a lot of other people knee pain comes from pushing distance too far too fast. Ramping up the distance slowly does wonders for more people than you might think.

If you're pushing the distance at a safe pace and you've got shoes that match your gait, it might be time to look for a sports physiotherapist to get your gait analyzed. Outside of the wrong shoes and being too aggressive in pushing distance, having bad form is chief cause of pain from running.

Cicero, The Republic
roads/trails are another by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Aug 26, 2017 at 10:39:28 AM EST
After getting a shoe that let me ramp up the mileage, I managed to do in my knee (this was more an "all at once" thing that meant no running for months). I eventually realized that one side of the trail was higher than the other and this was pushing on my knees. Slapping a bit of cardboard in my shoe was enough to even them out (even after I found flat areas to run on).

Wumpus

I've heard of that happening to a few people by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Aug 26, 2017 at 10:51:40 AM EST
It's certainly something to watch out for.

Personally I've never hit a trail, jogging path, or street route where the unevenness was uniformly on one side or the other for my whole run. But after I heard about people running into that sort of issue I started paying more attention and I noticed that there are some suburbs where the streets are almost uniformly bowed. If you run on the same side of the street (relative to your direction) and always run in the street, that can cause problems.

Cicero, The Republic