Print Story Now we are twenty one and sixteen
Family
By georgeha (Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 12:55:24 PM EST) beer, stress, dungeons, birthdays (all tags)
Gollywhompers, it's been three months since I've last done a real diary. I guess it's time for another. It's chock full of the usual Georgeha whinging and complaining that everyone has come to expect.

Poll: Are you surprised by President Trump's first six months?

The biggest news is that we're down to a single income family again, instead of a 1.2 income family when Mrs. Ha is working. It's summer, so our utility bills are lower, there's no need for school lunches and community college tuition, that all helps. By vastly decreasing the amount of wine we buy, moving to the cheapest beer I enjoy, deferring car maintenance, selling things on ebay, paying off surgery bills in chunks, letting therapist bills build up, draining the twenty one year old's college fund, and getting unemployment, we're not putting much on our credit cards.

I also had five gallons of late spring lager fermenting, which I've since kegged. I've made better, but it's paid for. I may not need to buy beer for another month.

We are going camping for two days, as sort of a vacation, and eating lots of the Wegmans equivalent of Nutty Buddies, as another sort of vacation.

The college fund withdrawal is ultimately for her benefit. A few hundred for her therapist to provide a report that might help her get an IEP in college, and three hundred to get re-certified for life guarding in Buffalo, so she can get a lifeguard job. I had hoped not to touch it, thinking we may need that modest amount when she goes full time, but she might not be able to handle full time college for a while. In the short term, this will help her get a job and possibly get accommodations when she's going to college, and there's still some left in that account.

She'll be staying with my sister in Buffalo for the four day course, it should be good for her. My sister has three cats, and the 21 year old likes cats.

Other than that, she's good. She turned 21, and did not want to go out for her first local drink at a VFW, firehall or country and western bar. She doesn't really have a taste for alcohol anyways.

The sixteen year old is good. Oddly, she does not want to get her driver's permit. We do want to get her a passport, but that's been put on hiatus for budgetary reasons. Somehow I have to try and scrape up $140.

She did have a meltdown on her birthday, the internet was out and she said every birthday has sucked recently. When we counted back, she had a point.

In 2017, all she wanted to do was chill and watch anime on Netflix all day. That's kind of hard without internet, and only eight gigs remaining of 4G.

In 2016, we said goodbye to a great cat, days before her birthday.

In 2015, the then 18 year old's boyfriend was visiting. Hours after he left a cousin showed up. There was a lack of attention paid to her that day.

In 2014, instead of celebrating her birthday with my parents on the Fourth, as we normally do, we had a combined graduation party for the then 17 year old, along with newspaper_girl and sa_girl.

Plus there's the whole "she's a teenager used to having a lot of autonomy to do whatever she wanted all summer long and now mom is home all day long criticizing" thing.

It hasn't all been bad for sixteen_year_old. In early July I DM'ed for her, seven of her friends and nearly 21 year old, using old school First Edition AD&D.

The Port of Athos is beseiged by the Dread Pirate Roberts in the ocean and hordes of orcs and goblins in the surrounding mountains. All the party's assets are in the Bank of Athos, while their gear is held hostage by the inn keepers; letter of credit from the Bank of Athos are not worth much. Fortunately, a patron by the name of Zaphod Beeblebrox, with two retainers named Dent and Marvin, has heard of a rumored 20 mile long tunnel under the mountains to get to Athos, and he wants to bring Greek Fire to break the siege.

The oddest moment was when a Druid was able to charm a Warg right out from under an attacking goblin. We need to continue that adventure.

She's doing her Saturday morning art class too, and has started her summer AP work.

Mrs. Ha is much less anxious now. She liked the hands on part of being a chiropractic assistant, but she didn't like the sexist older doctor, or the incompetent office manager. The person hired after her wanted her position, and knew how to play office politics, so it was not surprising when she got fired, and she's now much less stressed. She's been looking, and will probably find something soon. I don't know if she'll find something she can work at for ten years without a lot of drama, but I can hope.

The twenty one year old is being a big help with the internet computer things needed for applying for jobs, Mrs. Ha and computers don't go together well.

Our gardens do look great, the twenty one year old is discovering a talent for gardening, and Mrs. Ha now has time for them.

For me, travel is picking up a bit, work varies from way too busy to a little slow, and more mandatory training keeps getting assigned. I have started going to a therapist to deal with the stress. The therapist suggested going from two beers a night to one, to see if that helps with stress. Even if it doesn't, it stretches my beer supply.

< Gone | Driving on the wrong side >
Now we are twenty one and sixteen | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
dm'ing for a party of 8? by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 01:40:14 PM EST
Madness.

They got tired after 3-4 hours by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 01:44:35 PM EST
and for much of the game, I just let the party talk among themselves to decide what to do. The only combat was the warg riding goblins attacking them as most of the party slept.

(Comment Deleted) by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 07:36:43 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by ObviousTroll

> she does not want to get her driver's permit by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 07:39:44 PM EST
That seems common - for example, neither of my kids were all that interested in learning to drive and I've had co-workers make similar comments. Troll Jr. picked it up as soon as he needed to, though.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
21 year old is a good big sister by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 07:59:14 PM EST
Willing to drive the sixteen year old around if needed, and she's almost always around.

That certainly would explain it. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 06:57:39 AM EST
In our case, it was more the kids were either a complete homebody who didn't see the point in going out and the one who just likes to walk the woods and to everywhere else.

I'm reasonably certain the second one has a secret tree fort hidden somewhere behind the development. First thing she does when she comes home from college is to disappear into the woods for several hours.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Is that steak thing real? by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 08:01:03 PM EST
I was going to bring up his boast that he could pardon himself but... damn.

Chill out, snowflake.

Google it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 08:09:23 PM EST
And cry for the cow that died, so Trump could eat steak so well done it rocks on the plate.

WIPO by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jul 26, 2017 at 10:47:47 AM EST
I kept waiting for him to show that he was smarter than he appeared - that he had run a populist campaign, but he really understood what he was getting into.

I've lost hope.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
You may be waiting a long time by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 26, 2017 at 02:35:10 PM EST
and I suspect that if he knew he would win, and knew  how winning would have affected his life, he would not have run.

Agreed. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jul 26, 2017 at 02:45:59 PM EST
My overwhelming belief was that this began as a publicity stunt and it spiraled out of control.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Kid Rock by gmd (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jul 28, 2017 at 05:02:52 AM EST
 Appears to be making the same mistske...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
He's teetering on the verge of impeachment... by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jul 28, 2017 at 01:19:16 PM EST
...and the most honest person in the White House is a guy named Tony the Mooch.  So pretty much on course, I suppose.

Kids today don't want to drive.  I think it upsets their constant need to be communicating, or something.  I had to drag my son to the DMV.  My daughter did want to go, though.  Son has friends that don't have permits yet, and he's the second in his circle to have a car.  I don't know how they're all planning on getting to school in the fall.

Well, back in the day socializing was a heck by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jul 28, 2017 at 02:52:14 PM EST
of a lot easier with a car than without. True, my high school friends were within walking distance, but if we wanted to see Rocky Horror, a band, or other friends, someone had to drive.

The sixteen_year_old does a lot of socializing online.