Print Story Bodies jammed in the Underground, evacuating London Town
By TheophileEscargot (Sun Jul 23, 2017 at 01:17:52 AM EST) Reading, MLP, Watching (all tags)
Reading: "The Book of Etta". Watching. Me. Links.

What I'm Reading
The Book of Etta by Meg Elison. Sequel to the "Book of the Unnamed Midwife", going a couple of generations into the future, where a persistent disease causes most female babies to die at birth, leading to a gender imbalanced world.

I liked this better than its predecessor which had some first novel weaknesses. This volume takes the social implications a step further. Some societies hold women in slavery, in others they form a fragile ruling class; in both they are confined to particular roles.

The plotting is also more interesting, with another appealing protagonist. Well worth reading if you liked the first one, I'll be looking out for the next one when it's out.

What I'm Watching
Saw Lego Batman with the toddler. He quite liked it though I'm not sure he understood what was going on. Has some entertaining jokes and jibes about the non-Lego Batman movies; it continues the theme of spoofing them. I was amazed that they got so many rights: Lord Voldemort, the Daleks, the Eye of Sauron

Me
Another release crunch, had to work from early in the morning till late at night for a few days. In theory it's all closed now, in practice things seem to keep coming back.

Weight loss is going well. Suspiciously well according to the scales, I think either the first or the last reading might be wrong as 10 pounds in four weeks is faster than I've ever managed before. Doing it a different way: having a normal breakfast and lunch to give me some energy in the day, then a very small dinner. It's fast but it's hard work: I'm a lot hungrier than when I have more filling carbs. Was especially hard to stick to when working very long days.

Another week and I should be at my original goal which is the top end of my old healthy range. Will probably keep going for another few days after, then have a week's holiday planned where I'll have to try not to put it all back on.

Still don't have much time to read which is depressing: taking an age to get through any book and there's a lot of stuff I'd like to get down to.

Links
Socioconomics. The 2 most popular critiques of basic income are both wrong. The ideology of "the market". Income graph. Working hours per week by country.

Sci/Tech. Predatory Journals Hit By ‘Star Wars’ Sting. What does a crypto startup do with $230m? What it's like to be a contestant on Robot Wars. "My Code is Self-Documenting".

Politics. A conservative Republican supports single-payer (very reluctantly), because there is no real alternative. Bannon & Kushner Want to Outsource Afghanistan to Mercenaries. Capitalism's fat cats and Brexit. Stop being distracted by "stop being distracted". My Fellow Plutocrats: You Can Cure Trumpism.

Articles. Cute-written but somewhat horrific acount of a nude sauna in London. When You Could Catch The Underground To See A Hanging. Renaissance carving knives with music on blades. Vietnam's South Korean ghosts. When the Beatles wrote for the Rolling Stones.

Pics. Paleoart.

< Meeting at midnight while avoiding all the neighbours | Three quick things >
Bodies jammed in the Underground, evacuating London Town | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Self-documenting code by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #1 Sun Jul 23, 2017 at 01:49:19 AM EST
The last major piece of code I wrote was a python library, and I remember very clearly realizing that there were two approaches I could take.  The library handles a binary network protocol, and the various messages have a similar, though not identical, structure.

The first approach was to write it in straight python code.  This would have been clear as day to the reader, but would have required essentially new code for each message, nearly a cut-and-paste copy.

The second approach was to use internal data definitions and cool python reflection techniques so that supporting a new message required just adding an entry to a table and adding a new definition to another table.

The second approach is not trivial to understand without some brain work even if you know it well.  The approach that is more extendable and less buggy (less code == fewer bugs) is less readable.

So of course I commented.  "If you want to do $blah, go do this in this table and add this to this other table" in addition to the "this is why I did it this way".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Release crunch by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 06:12:36 AM EST
I'm sure they're still around all over the place in industry, and I Wong claim we're immune, but we definitely seem to have them a lot less. Like once a year, if that. In a traditionally high pressure sort of domain. Maybe that makes me lucky, or maybe you'd do better at another place?

Iambic Web Certified

Way back by Herring (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 09:58:19 AM EST
when I was in a small startup, it often came down to cobbling together code, working stupid hours with little sleep to be ready for a client deadline. One observation that I made is that code written around 3:00am is frequently shit.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Er, won't claim, obviously by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 08:13:07 AM EST

Iambic Web Certified

London nude sauna by hulver (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 06:53:45 AM EST
You're quite right. Horrifying and amusing in equal measures.

It does make me wonder what sort of expectations those guys have.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Who goes to these places? by gmd (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 08:14:56 AM EST
I mean really, how desperate would you need to be?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Germans and working hours by Herring (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 11:19:46 AM EST
Henning Wehn has a theory.

You can't inspire people with facts