Print Story Three quick things
By yankeehack (Sun Jul 23, 2017 at 04:24:03 PM EST) (all tags)

1) In a state of grief (and incandescent rage) right now as I finally heard that one of my numerous Italian "cousins", cousin M is in hospice. We knew the day would come - as of December, she had one more drug to try and if that didn't work...

My incandescent rage, however is at a) Ovarian cancer and b) my siblings and my cousin V who didn't share that cousin M was in hospice. I learned from my mom who learned from my sister who learned from my cousin V. (I did not expect cousin M's immediate family to tell me - they are in their 20s and stressed to be losing their mother. And cousin M would be embarrassed to bother me in the first place.)

However, I'm getting real tired of only hearing from my siblings when they need babysitting. My cousin V, on the other hand, is already embroiled in a years long grudge with family (specifically cousin C, who is cousin M's sister) due to how things went down during my uncle's (cousin C's father) last few weeks of life. Cousin C refuses to attend things that cousin V has been invited to (you wonder where I get it from, as we Italians can hold a grudge). Cousin V has been undependable before, but now it's made worse by her hanging out with my siblings.

Anyway, my family doesn't deal with sickness and death all that well. Even when I was growing up, my mom was only intermittently told about things, and it was hard it when it was about relatives she was close to.

2) I have two phone interviews this week potentially, both VA companies, one in Herndon, ugh I know and the other in Arlington. The first interview is with a company and I am a great fit for with my skillset. The second interview is with a company with a name you'd recognize, but the HR guy can't use a fucking calendar and has tried to confirm phone interviews on the phone or a few hours before day of, saying that he was "booked up" with any time I suggested. At this point, unless HR guy confirms a date/time in advance and keeps it, I'm ignoring him and writing a glassdoor review.

Anyway, if the first phone interview works out, I'm thinking of living in Alexandria.

3) Had a creepy experience with a guy on an app, who was a friend of a friend (not one of yours). Matched with him late (like after midnight) on Wednesday night and we chatted for a bit. He was in my area because he got stranded by an airline. He, not once, but twice, asked if he could uber to my place. LOL no. Aside from everything else, it was after 1am in the morning. I can't explain it, but the way he was insistent about it just creeped me out.

Based on what I know of him online, he either thinks/hopes that is the way how the app works and/or easily misses cues. Both, probably.

4) Bonus: LO went to go see the boy in NYC again. She is willing to give him "one more chance." shakes head

< Bodies jammed in the Underground, evacuating London Town | Gone >
Three quick things | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Grudges always bewilder me. Family, too. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jul 23, 2017 at 09:20:45 PM EST
My family actually has two different private FB groups with slightly different names because the one group doesn't realize the other group doesn't want to talk to them - and apparently, I'm the only one still in contact with my father's sister who (a) yes, she's a complete idiot but (b) she's still my father's sister.

I get angry at people all the time, but I never see the point in staying angry, especially with family. Make a note, don't trust them again, but they're just fallible monkeys trying to figure out how the space ship works, just like the rest of us.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
If it was anything by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 05:19:05 PM EST
else, I would ignore, just like I do wrt my sister -in-law. However, there are a few times in life where you need to show up and be dependable. That, I'm pretty clear on.

From what I gathered, the grudge pertains to a "wake the fuck up" argument. Cousin V had a spotty childhood due to my well-meaning but always up to something uncle and the loss of a functioning mother figure due to mental illness. So cousin C (and to a lesser extent cousin M) raised cousin V.

So your daughter didn't get the grudge gene? by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 06:58:32 AM EST
Sadly, that's another life lesson coming her way. The last break-up story made my laugh, I'm expecting the coming one will be spectacular.

Anyway. Good luck with those interviews!

The scary thing by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 10:18:38 AM EST
is that Little One seems pretty smart (but still making the wrong decision). I wondering if she is in a sorority (and only knows frat boys) or still rowing (don't know rowers, but wouldn't be at all surprised if they are like said frat boys). If staying with boy friend seems like a good idea, she needs to fish in a new sea.

Arlington's HR department is worrying enough. Herndon (the town) is actually a fine place to work, assuming you can get there. The Dulles toll road (beltway to Herndon) is open early in the morning, was a mess coming back (at least when I was there). I66 likely has even more issues (I'd expect to pay some big tolls just to get to work). I'd take any warnings from wiredog about this rather seriously.

Wumpus

I wonder what happened to her much earlier boyfriend with the miserable home situation. He seemed to be dealing with it well, which indicated a great head on his shoulders. I sure he's drifted well away, but have to wonder if he's still a "facebook friend".

Ding Ding Ding! by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 05:33:11 PM EST
When I asked, LO did cite there were no interesting guys at school. Nevermind the fact that she had several suitors last year. One kid,  took her to a Mardi Gras ball (and invited her to another), drove her and her friends to the airport (granted they got stuck because of uber surge pricing), and carried her luggage to her waiting uber when she left. "He's too nice but he'll be great for someone else," she said.

Also, the boy now has money (relatively) and he offered to take her out/buy her stuff. I bet she wants to drop him when she is good and ready.

All I know about the kid with the bad home life is that he is going to school locally with help from his extended family.

LO does have another ex-bf from her HS days who was really sweet, played hockey, but he lived in NJ (which was a PITA distance-wise). He is in China on a semester abroad and apparently texts her every so often saying that he misses her. He's a year older than LO but goes to school in Ohio. Once he graduates, he too wants to go into banking.

From what I know, the Herndon to Arlington/DC commute can be a bitch. I should be ok (I heard it was 40m drive) if I can get off of the toll route earlier.

Silver Line goes as far as the east side of Reston by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 06:07:48 AM EST
The Herndon station is slated to open in 2020.

I've never been out that way during rush hour. It's never been horrible when I've been out visiting friends on the weekend or dropping my daughter off at Dulles in the middle of the night.

Cicero, The Republic
Yeah I know by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 05:21:18 PM EST
The other night I told her that she should just let him date others for a bit, no dice.

I think one reason why LO went back is because she wants to break up with him on her time. We'll see how that works out.

It could always be worse by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 01:26:54 PM EST
He could have mentioned Lyft, and talked about mustache rides.

Argh... by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 05:35:54 PM EST
As it turns out, the guy lives in State College, so his desperation was at least...explainable.
Is he a JoePa-logist? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 06:55:07 PM EST
I have some in my family, and some fellow alums, it's sad.

He apparently works there by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 07:11:13 PM EST
and is stuck being a somewhat newly divorced dad in the middle of PA.
Alexandria! by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 08:35:27 PM EST
Del Ray's a nice neighborhood.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Herndon's right next door by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jul 26, 2017 at 02:48:54 PM EST
I'm in Reston, thinking of moving back to Falls Church. Alexandria to Herndon is probably an hour commute on 495 to the Dulles Toll Road. Probably an hour or more on Metro, too. An alternate would be 495-66-Fairfax County Parkway. Alexandria is an expensive place to live. Not McLean expensive, but fairly pricey. Falls Church is a bit more central if you want to keep your options open for other jobs, and a little easier to get into DC on the weekend.

Reston and Herndon would be ideal commutes, as long as you don't take a job closer to the city. Chantilly, Centerville and Ashburn likewise.

Drop us a line if you come to town for an in person interview. We haven't had a DC HuSiMeet in years.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Good stuff... by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jul 27, 2017 at 10:07:58 PM EST
I was thinking of Alexandria more for the social/more mobile people around component than anything else. (I need to get out of the suburbs.)

My optimal scenario was to live in DC, but I don't think that is going happen if I have to commute out to Herndon.

The good news is that the company I am talking to is a startup and seem to be fairly flexible - so hopefully my commuting hours can be too.

I will let you know when I expect to get down there, based on what I know it sounds like the week after next at the earliest. (There's an elongated interview process.)

Three quick things | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback