Print Story Ask Husi: Should I join Linkedin
Working life
By gmd (Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 12:57:05 PM EST) Linkedin (all tags)
As per the title. I hear very mixed things about it, so far I've resisted the temptation.

I'm not a big one for "social media" of any kind. I used to have a small facebook presence, now I occasionally use twitter but that's about the extent of it. I have heard colleagues extolling the virtues of Linkedin as a way of locating new job opportunities, but I remain skeptical. The fact it seems to have a strong Microsoft connection is big red flag for me too.

So has anyone here had anything other than a negative experience with Linkedin? Anything to watch out for?
< Technology | Meeting at midnight while avoiding all the neighbours >
Ask Husi: Should I join Linkedin | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What do you want? by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 01:33:36 PM EST
I find LinkedIn is good for business purposes. If you're looking for new work or you're into networking (i.e. sales) it serves a purpose. If you're looking for a social network, it's really not a good place.

Well... by ana (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 02:11:32 PM EST
Don't let them have your contacts list.

As the co-editor of an online literary journal, there's a lot of e-mail to 'submit@journalname.com'. Most of it is filtered right into the slush pile which we read every month or so. Some of it, however, comes from linkedin.

Nothing quite says "I'm an idiot, you should publish my stories" like having a "let's connect on linked-in" message, repeated again and again, going to 'submit@etc."

Or, who knows, maybe it's a new, austere, literary genre.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Thank you by gmd (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 02:19:26 PM EST
This is exactly the kind of thing I am concerned about...
I understand that people are alerted when you view their profiles too. It all seems rather intrusive for some ill-defined benefits.
Has anyone on here actually got a new job via Linkedin?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
job through linkedin by jaxom green (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 04:42:32 PM EST
I use linkedin as a self updating work related address book.  Because of that when I look for work I'll use linkedin to gather a list of companies that might be hiring in my field and then when I find openings I'll look through my contacts for a good person to have submit my resume as an internal hire.  By looking through where my contacts are working now I'll find new companies and companies that opened a local office and by submitting my resume through an internal referal it gets into the hiring manager's hands much faster.  However I did not create my linkedin contact list by allowing it to search my email.  I created my initial account with no contacts and then spoon fed linkedin a few email addresses of colleagues that I wanted in my "work" social network.  Then I could go through their connections and hand pick people to connect to that I knew and had worked together with enough to trust them to not be a posionous contact.  That would be a person who if you connect to another person through them you find them less credible rather than more credible.  Because of that I also don't accept the random linkedin invites that come through on a regular basis.

I don't use linkedin as a facebook style work social network like I imagine sales, marketing and recruiting people do but every job (3, possibly 4) I've found in the decade plus that I've been on linkedin has at least involved some amount of use of it even if only to remind me of a persons contact information.

My shadow profile has had some opportunities by dark nowhere (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 10:31:02 PM EST
honestly you don't even need to join the site as long as enough of your "friends" have, and have also done that thing ana said not to do.

Chill out, snowflake.

Do they use it in Frankfurt? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 10:04:15 PM EST
That's about the only question you would need to ask. Not that you'll have access to freedom of movement after 2019, apart from the fourth level divine spellcaster version.

yeah right by gmd (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 12, 2017 at 05:45:21 AM EST
because no British person ever got a job in Germany before we joined the EU right?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Bad enough dealing with German tax authorities by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jul 12, 2017 at 07:19:56 AM EST
Now you want the extra hassle of dealing with the Interior ministry for a work visa. thankfully I have a nice shiny Irish passport for these eventualities.

I had no issues in Switzerland by gmd (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jul 12, 2017 at 10:41:34 AM EST
If you want to live abroad accept there will be some red tape.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Switzerland by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jul 12, 2017 at 11:46:09 AM EST
Is part of the EEA free movement area so it's the same as the EU due to various treaties with the EU.

not really by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jul 14, 2017 at 07:28:33 AM EST
Switzerland never joined EEA - but signed a bilateral agreement after some serious arm-twisting from the union in December 2016.
-- The revolution will not be televised.
1999 by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jul 14, 2017 at 08:23:06 AM EST
Dokument nicht gefunden by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Jul 14, 2017 at 09:01:18 AM EST

But Switzerland changed their ways in 2014[1], by limiting immigration - and only changed their ways in December 2016 after EU threatened to suspend H2020, Erasmus and pretty much all of the research grants...

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_immigration_referendum,_February_2014
-- The revolution will not be televised.

by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Jul 14, 2017 at 09:03:20 AM EST
the point (of the previous prematurely posted comment) was that unlike the EEA, Switzerland can alter their Free movement, "almost" at will.

Given that it is composed of a large number of bilateral agreements rather than a few large ratified packages that makes it difficult to untangle just parts.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Red tape by jump the ladder (4.00 / 3) #13 Wed Jul 12, 2017 at 11:47:21 AM EST
Is going to be the winner of Brexit.

Coworkers by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 11:17:10 PM EST
Do your coworkers like you?

Because seriously, the only reason to join linkedin is to that if you lose/quit your job, you've got a place to hit up former coworkers for work.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I get loads of agencies approaches through it by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Jul 12, 2017 at 03:36:20 AM EST
For contract jobs so it's fairly useful for job hunting.

Well by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Jul 12, 2017 at 11:48:48 AM EST
It's good for personal networking around your career.  It helps you keep contact with old co-workers for the purpose of finding you a new job.

For me, the "social contract" of Linked-In is about getting and giving job opportunities. I also won't accept a connection to anyone that I have never met or worked with.

Yeah by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #15 Wed Jul 12, 2017 at 07:28:13 PM EST
My general rule is that if I haven't worked with them, I won't accept the connection.  I've only made exceptions for relatives and a fight husites.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Dude, you're too polite by lm (4.00 / 2) #21 Sun Jul 16, 2017 at 11:50:06 PM EST
I didn't even accept the invitation from my daughter. I've never worked with her.

Cicero, The Republic
I havne't gotten a lot of use of it by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #20 Sat Jul 15, 2017 at 01:06:54 PM EST
 I have an account that is maintained regularly.  I have a shell CV posted.  I use it for keeping track of past co-workers and occasionally for job searching.  I get a fair number of recruiters checking my profile.  I haven't landed a job via LinkedIn.  I have responded to questions from past co-workers and used it to query them about employers I'm considering if they've been employees there.  So not bad for research purposes, but not fantastic for landing a job.  It's definitely not Facebook or Twitter though some people seem to think posting political comments is acceptable (which it is not).  Mostly it's a professional networking site.

---------------