Print Story Vote Early and Vote Often
Politics
By anonimouse (Thu Jun 08, 2017 at 05:47:56 AM EST) (all tags)
 It's election day

I've decided not to vote for the simple reason I don't want to waste my time schlepping up to the Midlands from London to put my pitiful vote against our current Conservative MPs massive majority.

Thoughts

Theresa May has shown that she's not a "Strong and Stable" leader, but that's who we're likely to have. In addition, I am concerned that the latest problems with terrorists is going allow Theresa May to put forward legislation restricting free speech that I'm fairly convinced we don't need.

Jeremy Corbyn has had a good election in general. However his supporting cast is pitifully weak and doesn't believe in him. I don't believe in Labour policies anyway, and especially not this time round.

Tim Farron has been almost invisible, and hasn't really been that good when he was seen.

Other News

I won the lottery. Before you all ask me for money, it was only about 3quid. Here's how CurvyGirl took the news:

< Self-pitying whining stuff - full reverse | vidya >
Vote Early and Vote Often | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Voting Lib-Dem by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 08, 2017 at 12:30:07 PM EST
Have a half a chance in our heavily remain in the EU voting London commuter town where the lib-Dems won 4 out of 6 council seats in the constituency.

Not enthused by Farron and co but the alternatives to the left and the right are grim indeed

Also voted Lib Dem by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jun 08, 2017 at 12:58:29 PM EST
Would prefer Labour but this seat is fairly close between Lib Dems and Tory with Labour far behind.

Also Vince Cable seemed a bit fragile when I saw him outside the train station, I think it would really hurt his feelings if he gets rejected again after all those years.

I would have voted Lib-Dem by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 08, 2017 at 01:54:26 PM EST
...but the  Conservative majority alone in my constituency is actually larger than all the other main parties put together, and 10 times the size of the Lib-Dem vote.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
i would have voted labour by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jun 08, 2017 at 05:40:25 PM EST
mfw i see the exit polls

Y'all don't vote by mail? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 08, 2017 at 09:28:24 PM EST
How primitive!

Wow by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Jun 10, 2017 at 10:20:10 PM EST
When Americans mock your election shit's just fucked up.

---------------
no by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jun 11, 2017 at 01:47:20 PM EST
the British believe in the secret ballot. America has given that one up.
My mail-in ballot is secret. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jun 12, 2017 at 01:42:49 AM EST
How would it not be?

a whole bunch of possible ways. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jun 20, 2017 at 12:49:22 PM EST
imagine that you were married to an abusive woman who demanded that you prove to her that you were voting the way she wanted.

imagine that you worked for an employer who threatened to fire you if you didn't prove to him that you voted the way he wanted.

imagine you were physically disabled and relied on someone else to help fill it out and they lied to you about what they were doing.

etc.

The ballot is secret, but not anonymous. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jun 12, 2017 at 12:26:53 PM EST
Each voting paper is numbered, and they mark the number against your name when you collect it. It would be possible (although tedious) to work out who cast a particular vote.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
which may be why I did not recieve a polling card by gmd (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jun 12, 2017 at 05:57:57 PM EST
 And yet my partner did.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Corbynites by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jun 13, 2017 at 03:20:20 AM EST
Working at the council no doubt

Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! by gmd (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 13, 2017 at 11:28:28 AM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Our way reconciles that issue. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 13, 2017 at 08:30:50 AM EST
"How does the elections department process my vote by mail (absentee) ballot securely?

It is essential to the integrity of an election that ballot processing be accurate and transparent, while maintaining your right to a secret ballot. After you return your voted ballot, your county elections department follows this ballot counting process:

Your signature on the outer return envelope is checked against the signature on file in your voter registration record to make sure they match. You are credited for voting in that election. This ensures that only one ballot from each voter is counted.

The outer return envelope, which identifies you, is then separated from the inner security envelope, which contains your voted ballot. Your ballot cannot be traced back to you, ensuring the secrecy of your vote.

All ballots are inspected to make sure the tabulating machine will be able to read all votes. Tabulation equipment is tested before every election to make sure it is working accurately."

Looking at the results by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jun 09, 2017 at 07:48:29 AM EST
It appears Mrs May took a weak U.K. position on Brexit, and made it much, much, worse. I wonder what PM Corbin will do?

Gonna be fun to see the Trumpenfuhrer's reaction once his staff finds words small nought to explain it to him.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

cancelling a planned trip by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jun 12, 2017 at 11:46:30 AM EST
in fear of cataclysmic fall out, seems to be about it.
-- The revolution will not be televised.
Vote Early and Vote Often | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback