Print Story I Just Need A Break
By yankeehack (Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 01:36:38 PM EST) (all tags)
Last week sucked to the point that I have to just laugh...

  • It's been a few couple weeks where nothing at all and everything has been happening. Mainly, LO and I have spent a lot of time together. LO is doing babysitting & cat sitting types of jobs for some spending money. Apparently, she lost out on the nanny gig she had last summer because she responded too late. Most of her other friends are working at summer sleepaway camps. She could get a gig at a restaurant that her HS BFF works at, but it's already late June. Anyway, she's been spending the other part of her time with her boyfriend, as he's moving to NYC and starting his ibanker job after the July 4th weekend. Maybe he'll support her.
  • The job search goes on, but this week was the most absolutely, positively, over-the-top week in WTF I have experienced as a working adult. Let's begin...
  • Rolling into the week, I was expecting to go to DC (specifically suburban VA) to interview on Thursday with a startup. I had the phone interview with them the week before last, and an hour after that call, I get an invite to meet with them. Awesome. The co-founder was traveling the next week, thus the delay. They were cool with me moving down, although I was "on the high end" for the job. I should mention the startup has a torrid history of sorts (there was high public drama with the original founders, so a few left and the company pivoted to something else) and their VC raises have been small. At this point, there's a gen-y co-founder and an "industry experienced" CEO at the helm. On Monday, I get an email from them "sorry we're cancelling the interview, someone has accepted the offer for the job." Me: WTF the gen-y interviewer did not mention they had an outstanding offer. The kicker is that they are in the HR space. At this point, I'm thinking "thank god I didn't book train tickets."
  • Tuesday comes, I'm still pissed about what happened. In the afternoon, I get an email from another DC company, "Hey, we'd love to have a phone interview with you." So I end up scheduling an interview for Wednesday.
  • Wednesday, I have an interview with company #2. The phone interviewer was really, really young (she was doing the phone screens for the boss). But anyway, she wanted to bring me into meet her boss. She asked if Friday would be fine. Me: Sure. Phone interviewer: Also, can you do us a favor and look at our Web site and give us some suggestions? Me: Sure. (This got me a little intrigued and excited.)
  • Wednesday afternoon/evening. Oh shit, this is not a startup/tech company, so I need to get a suit. I'm not feeling 100% (perimenopausal PMS is a bitch and a half), but I get my butt out there to shop. I was also rushed because I promised LO that she could have my car on Thursday. I live near the 2nd largest mall in the US - and I couldn't find a fucking outfit. As in suiting is literally not stocked in most stores or looks like wrinkly crap.
  • Also, it was humid and warm in the mall. Like I was breaking out in a sweat walking around. I ended up giving up at about 8:30pm and going home to check stores on the Web (some of the department stores have the "check if it's at a local store" function on their e-commerce sites.)
  • Thursday. In the morning, I get up early and hit the mall again. I ended up at the few stores that did have suiting according to their e-commerce sites, but the selections were limited or they did not match or at very the high end stores, the outfits were $800+. I did finally find a black suit on sale. I then did some accessories shopping and by early afternoon, I was done. LO took the car to see her boyfriend when I got home. I dorked around at home until about 2am getting ready for Friday.
  • Friday morning. I get up at about 5:15am to start getting ready. I was planning to grab the 6:15am train to Philly and then grabbing the 8:13am Acela to DC for the interview at 11am. I had about 50 minutes of delay time built into my plan. The plan was working well until 8am when it was announced the train was delayed 15 minutes. The train was then delayed 15, 20, 25 minutes. Then we were called the boarding platform. There weren't that many people for this Acela, but we see other NE Regional trains come in on time and leave. (Note: I bought an Acela ticket because normally it's the NE Regional trains that are delayed.) We wait, and some of us are freaking out. (Once the delays started, I emailed the company to let them know.) Then an Amtrak person came down to let us know the train was cancelled and we were to get on the next Acela (which was running late). I asked the Amtrak rep what time the next train would arrive in DC and she said after 11am. FUCK.
  • I should mention that Friday was in the high 80s and humid as get out. My flat ironed hair turned curly as soon as I left the house.
  • So I called the company and spoke to the receptionist and left a voicemail asking if they could meet with me in the afternoon. (They seemed flexible on the phone interview.) I got on the new train and headed down. The company emailed back and they said 1pm would be fine.
  • I arrive at Union Station at about 11:15am and it's madness, with tourists and all. Since they took out the benches in the main lobby (yes, it's been a while since I was there), I ended up chilling in the food court, and spent time checking out the company's Web site. At one point, a tourist family sits behind me and the Dad spilled his soda everywhere, some of it splashing on me. The irony did not escape me as I originally wanted a dark gray suit and I settled for something in black. JFC.
  • I take a cab to the interview, and had a chatty black woman as my driver. I told her about my day so far and she said that I looked good and that she would pray for me. She took some "shortcuts" and got me there early. I tipped her well.
  • It wouldn't be a story unless the interview was a complete and utter shitshow. The boss was cranky woman in her mid-to-late 40s who was annoyed to high heaven that I couldn't read her mind and she didn't know what she wanted. She was also very, very unprepared - which expressly ticked me off. We went back and forth for most of the interview, and at one point, she became frustrated while I was recounting my experience. "This is tedious!" she said. So, the topic of the interview changed to marketing tactics - and as it turns out, she didn't really know what she was talking about. (The metrics she uses is ass-backwards compared to the rest of the industry and her understanding of tactics was shaky.) By then, I had mentally checked out of the interview (my right arm was hurting and fatigue was setting in) and could not wait to leave. Let's just say I did not have further questions about the company.
  • The one piece of gossip I did get from the interviewer is that the company - which organizes events and conferences is definitely seeing a downturn vs. last year, and apparently 2nd quarter has slowed down tremendously as businesses are booking at the last minute.
  • After I was out of the interview, I decided it was better for me to head back home than to hang out in DC. I made my way back to the train station and my Tinder started picking up ahem. I might have asked for a raincheck from a potential dinner date. Union Station was still bananas and filled with tourists. The train ride back was uneventful, save for the fact I spent $200 bucks on it. (I was that tired.)
  • I arrived in Philly and grabbed some takeout from a grilled cheese sandwich place in the train station. Then I went to catch one of the earlier rush hour trains back home, but I legit brain-farted and watched 3 trains go by while standing on a very warm train platform. Then I realized I could actually get on one of these trains (they were express rush hour trains). I got home in time for the blister on my foot to start hurting and then consumed my sadly congealed sandwich and fries. I went to bed at about 9pm and slept for 12 hours.
  • So that's where I am at. This week the recruiters have not been as active and it'll probably stay that way until after the holiday. I applied to a few more jobs this week but haven't heard anything yet.  ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I. JUST. NEED. A. BREAK. I know the type of place where I want to be and I've got geography nearly settled. I just need to get moving.
< ask Husi - vidya | Tales of an exploding bike >
I Just Need A Break | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
we were at that mall yesterday by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 03:09:04 PM EST
why can't they get climate control figured out?

HVAC seems to have by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 03:37:08 PM EST
gotten bad after the new addition was added, but I don't understand why it was warm and humid just about everywhere. It was really bad in some of the stores.
"...she dares to indulge in the secret sport. You can't be a MILF with the F, at least in part because the M is predicated upon it."-CBB
[ Parent ]
I must be coming native by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 11:23:09 PM EST
I've not considered the times I've been to Union Station to be all that busy.

glad you didn't get stuck by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 03:28:19 PM EST
on the train the day the two guys died..  (Conductors got off their freight train to look at a wheel that was throwing an error, Amtrack train hit and killed them). Mighta been this week.

Yeah by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 04:02:50 PM EST
I saw that. No more morning appointments in DC for me if I can help it. (Or I'll just go down the night before...)
"...she dares to indulge in the secret sport. You can't be a MILF with the F, at least in part because the M is predicated upon it."-CBB
[ Parent ]
Ouch by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 11:47:01 PM EST
That's all just... ow.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Next time you're coming to D.C. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jun 30, 2017 at 07:10:20 PM EST
Let us know in advance. We can Do Lunch. Or something. Especially if you're coming to NoVa.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I know! by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Jul 01, 2017 at 01:04:10 PM EST
I wish last week hadn't been so...draining.

Are you and most of the Husi-ites nearer to Arlington than Alexandria?

This is also a very dumb question: Do you know if it's reasonable for me to be able to cab from DC (like say, Union Station) to NOVA? (I would hope it would be since you've got Dulles & Reagan.)
"...she dares to indulge in the secret sport. You can't be a MILF with the F, at least in part because the M is predicated upon it."-CBB

[ Parent ]
Arlington is a bit closer by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jul 01, 2017 at 01:17:40 PM EST
But Alexandria is right next to it. Union Station to NoVa should be reasonable. It's about $80 from Reagan to Dulles.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

[ Parent ]
No worries. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jul 17, 2017 at 01:02:38 AM EST
I'm certain you're still a knockout with curly hair!

"To this day that was the most bullshit caesar salad I have every experienced..." - triggerfinger

I Just Need A Break | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback