Print Story ask Husi - vidya
Games
By clover kicker (Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 01:03:49 PM EST) (all tags)
Steam and GoG sales are on.

Anyone played Civ VI? I don't care about eye candy or soundtracks, I want a deep strategy game not something "streamlined" for today's technopeasants.

XCOM2 is cheap enough that I'll probably buy it. The XCOM remake was half decent, hard to believe  the original game on my 486SX could handle maps 10x the size of the remake on modern hardware.  Apparently they've rediscovered the secret lore of destructible terrain for XCOM2 which really annoyed me from the first remake.

In other gaming related news I recently read the Witcher novels, a few thoughts below the fold.

I've only played the first Witcher game, not sure about the other ones but that game did a great job of establishing a mood and immersing you in the setting.

And what a setting! Grimdark and hilarious, the  creatures are fantastic  but the motivations/behaviours/reactions are utterly believable.

That setting of course comes from the books,and they're great.

I read a fan translation I found on the pirate bay, maybe the official translation is more polished (rimshot) but the occasional fractured grammar didn't bother me and maybe even enhanced the feeling of a foreign and strange land.

Anyway, recommended for those who like fantasy, or those who appreciate writing like "the guards stood arrogant and stiff, as if they had spare halbreds shoved up their asses".

< She said losing love is like a window in your heart | I Just Need A Break >
ask Husi - vidya | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If you're playing XCOM by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 02:39:24 PM EST
OpenXCOM might be worth looking at. I haven't played the remake, but without changing the game much or doing a number on the graphic, I don't see much room for improvement. But you're probably past that.

XCOM 2 was designed to be an incredible game. There are some issues with it that made me stop playing it, but I was one of those affected by the severe performance issues. Nobody seems to know the cause. A remedy for some people is to turn on caps lock (doesn't work for me.)

I do have some issues with progression balance in the new one. But it's possible I have been misreading the situation. Another nit: 2K reserves the right to disable the game forever at their discretion whenever they feel like etc. You'll be prompted to agree to that whenever you launch it.

Chill out, snowflake.

did a quick OpenXCOM campaign when they hit 1.0 by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 03:23:38 PM EST
A refined implementation of a classic game, highly recommended.

XCom speed by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 10:20:55 PM EST
A coworker wrote this mod.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I wonder if this would help me. by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 02:04:41 PM EST
I have frame rate issues, even worse UI response and looooong load times (on solid state.) This mod sounds like it cuts down on "time clutter" by skipping stuff and shortening durations, but I think my issue is more fundamental. Don't get me wrong, I'd find that nice with the other issues out of the way.

Chill out, snowflake.

Yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 04:14:51 PM EST
I just mention it as something that looks nice.  (Haven't tried it myself)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Whenever I reinstall by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 07:27:52 PM EST
I'll try it out. Might be on another machine (whenever that happens) but it seems to affect people randomly. I don't have any logitech hardware connected, so it's (probably) not that interrupt problem. I should try it in Linux, peak perf usually suffers but this kind of thing rarely happens.

Wish I had something like this mod for the various Front Mission games. Only ever completed the first one.

Chill out, snowflake.

Civ VI by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 10:19:15 PM EST
I've never been able to get into it.  I prefer Civ V by a wide margin.  It is hard to pin down why.  It's not "dumbed down" like Civ Revolutions was.

If you want something good, I highly recommend any of the Amplitude "Endless" games ("Endless Space", "Endless Legends", "Endless Space 2".)  (Though I just got the last and am in the middle of my first game.)

If you want something really deep and complex, try Stellaris, though they still haven't quite fixed the mid-game.

I've never played the first Witcher game, but the most recent game was outstanding.   I've only read one collection of Witcher stories, but the third game very much matches them in tone.  From what I've heard, the first one is considered the weakest.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Stellaris by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 08:22:02 AM EST
Stellaris has a lot to like, and they're constantly developing and polishing it. It's eventually going to be brilliant for what it is...

But I've got a problem with the fundamental assumptions of the game. The insistence on splitting my empire into sectors so that the AI can mismanage my hard won planets is frustrating and not what I want from a game.

Will check out the "Endless" series, thanks.

Sectors by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 04:16:04 PM EST
Totally agree about sectors.  It seemed that the latest patch changed it somewhat...I guess there are now techs that let you micromanage.  I haven't had enough time to try it much, though.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
+1 for Endlesses /nt by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 02:06:44 PM EST

Chill out, snowflake.