Print Story And I say, hey yeah yeah, hey yeah yeah. I said hey, what's going on?
By lm (Sat Jun 17, 2017 at 05:55:43 PM EST) (all tags)
Mostly misadventures in (not) wrenching. Well, maybe not mostly. Lots of blather.

Last week wss Eagleman. For the first time in three years I didn't run in that race. It feels kind of weird. But I have to admit, I had a whole lot more time.

I need to run more. If I get my running distance back up to something reasonable, I'm shooting for Savageman in the fall.

:: :: :: :: :: ::

So a couple of weeks ago I did something dumb. It was dark and rainy out. I was tired and cranky. I didn't look closely enough when infracting against the revised code of the Great State of Maryland as applied to vehicular traffic both motorized and unmotorized.

Long story short, I got hit and it was all my fault. No real damage to me. My front derailleur, however, was bent beyond use. I've also been having trouble shifting the rear derailleur off and on for some time, so I ordered new front and rear and tried to replace the parts myself.

After a few evenings, I gave up and took the bike into the shop. The rear derailleur turned out okay, I thought. The front, not so much. I just couldn't get it positioned right.

After dropping it off at the shop, the bike place called within half an hour saying I had the wrong rear derailleur. I'm not surprised. There are a lot of options. Apparently no all Shimano Tiagra line gear is compatible with other Tiagra line gear. Supposedly my shifters are old enough to not work with the RD-4700.

Well, heck.

I also managed to ruin the cable for the front derailleur.

The shop also pointed out that my rear derailleur hanger is bent. They think they can just bend it back. Hopefully they can as its integrated into the frame. That may have been what's been causing my rear shifting problems all along. If so, my old favorite local bike shop has been missing it for some time.

:: :: :: :: ::

With a check finally arriving for all of the repairs for the accident I was in a couple of months ago, I splurged on all new SRAM Red kit to update my new (to me) road bike. It came with 10 year old Dura Ace.

I wouldn't mind keeping Dura Ace but I'm upgrading the handlebars to bull horns and integrated aero bars. The current group set is old enough that you can't easily route the cables through the bars. Not to mention that I wanted bar end shifters.

And, well, SRAM just sounds like a ballsier name than Shimano.

:: :: :: ::

The new local bike shop is REI. They recently moved to a new location and that location just happens to be about half a mile from my apartment. Prior to their move the closes shops were two local chains that I don't particular care about a mile away for and the satellite branch of my old favorite LBS about three miles away.

I feel a little guilty about choosing a large faceless corporation over a mom and pop shop. But can't beat the location or the speed of the local REI. I'm looking forward to the rebuild on my racing bike being done in 4 days rather than a week or two.

And I might get my commuter back in time to continue commuting on Monday.

:: :: ::

Strava sent me an email congratulating me on my 50th mile this year.

I have over 500 miles in cycling last month alone. Dunno what that's about.

:: ::

I finished J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy last week. (Or maybe it was the week before.) It was a pretty gripping read, a no nonsense look about what life is like for large swaths of the US.

I'm intending to do a more lengthy review eventually. The short version is that Vance grew up in a small city south of the slightly larger Ohio city that I grew up in. A lot of what Vance experienced was going on in my neighborhood as a kid and as an adult.

I've moved on to John T. Noonan's Contraception: A History of Its Treatment by the Catholic Theologians and Canonists which is surprisingly interesting for such a dry topic.

One of the first surprises comes in the opening third of the book that details the emergence of the Roman Catholic (and probably Eastern Orthodox) sexual anthropology. Turns out that it's pagan.

Well, not entirely. While there was certainly a cult of virginity within Christianity from the get-go, the earliest Christian writers on sexual ethics almost wholesale adopted Stoic natural law theory along with its tenet that the only purpose for sex is procreation. The stoic influence was so strong that it led Jerome to alter his translation of the Onan narrative from the Hebrew.

It is to Jerome ... that it is owed a translation of Genesis 38:8-10 to which was to make it a powerful text in later times against contraception. In three important particulars Jerome established a version which was different from the version today accepted as the best version of the Hebrew. In two of these three cases his translation is significantly different from the Old Latin text he had before him. (1) Jerome's translation speaks of Onan "entering" (introlens) Thamar, thereby failing to indicated that the practice was repeated, not an isolated action. The Old Latin had similarly used a verb indicating a single action (introisset). (2) Jerome supplied the word semen omitted by the original and by the Old Latin as the object for "spilled". (3) Most important of all, he appeared to make Onan's act the reason for God's punishment: "God slew him because he did a detestable thing" (rem detestabilem). The Hebrew said because he "did not please God." The Old Latin said "he appeared evil before the Lord"; in neither is there the same focus on an act. ... The total effect of Jerome's emendations was to make the passage a strong text against contraception. It incorporated Jerome's judgment of the practice.

There is also some really great pointers about where to look for early Christian writings on some other topics that I find fascinating like trying to figure out when a human becomes a human. The oft-repeated refrain "life begins at conception" is relatively recent.

Next on the "to read" shelf are two books about Aristotle that take minority positions: David Bradshaw's Aristotle East and West which argues that the Latin west took Aristotle down a different path than the Greek, Persian, and Arab east and Lloyd Gerson's Aristotle and Other Platonists which argues for what most modern scholars of classical philosophy call the Harmony thesis, the notion that for the most part the metaphysics (and consequently all the philosophy that follows) of both Aristotle and Plato were harmonious and that the modern practice of holding Aristotle against Plato is a misreading of both.

My doctor recommended that I try going off warfarin. It's nice to have one less pill to swallow every day. It's also nice to not have to get blood taken regularly.

The best part is the ability to eat all leafy greens with abandon.

But this may be temporary. If blood clots come back, it's back on the warfarin for me.

I'm sick as sh-- of political false equivalencies on the Book of Faces. Between the "this unknown minor functionary of the left said somethng as mean as these national figures on the right" and the "the media doesn't mention the lies of this figure as often as the lies of that figure even if that figure lies several orders of magnitude more often", it's pissing me off to no end.

FFS, if one guy is a mass murderer and another guy once stole an automobile, they're both felons. That does't mean that the media shouldn't be much harsher on one over the other.

< vidya
And I say, hey yeah yeah, hey yeah yeah. I said hey, what's going on? | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
jd vance is bad smdh by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Jun 17, 2017 at 08:38:22 PM EST

lol, what? by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jun 17, 2017 at 08:55:44 PM EST
Okay, so you don't like him. Is it personal or do you hate all former marines?

Cicero, The Republic
he's the bill cosby of appalachia. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 11:33:43 AM EST
gives a shitlib friendly take on the much-maligned white working class, hence his status as a media darling. to hear vance, the problem is a breakdown of cultural norms, the same trenchant analysis offered by david brooks every week in the new york times.

in this analysis, the key to understanding society is to break everyone down into different demographic groups, make airy statements about culture and the "particularities" of every microdemographic, so that ivy league educated banksters, like jd vance ("duh... former marine"), can diagnose the problems with groups and how they could be remedied if the individuals within those groups would just pull their pants up and be more like ivy league educated banksters.

to the extent there is any systemic analysis that cuts across class rather than more or less arbitrarily defined demographic groups (sometimes cloyingly referred to as "identities," to encourage buy-in to the dominant ideological stance via a false promise of personal empowerment and meaning) that analysis comes down to a statement of how things are, that they can't change, and that everyone better get with the program.

in spite of the occasional nod toward something more compassionate than the "kill 'em all" social darwinism of the american right, this type of liberalism is remarkably compatible with a stance of staying the course with a politics of nondiscrimination and as-little-as-we-can-get-away-with reform in an era when police shoot black people with impunity and white mortality rates look like the 90s in the former soviet union.

chris arnade, though not without his own issues, is a superior alternative. similar kind of background, but at least he has a systemic analysis.

I'm not sure which book you've read by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 01:00:01 PM EST
but, "to hear vance, the problem is a breakdown of cultural norms" runs entirely contrary to most of what Vance has said in Hillbilly Elegy and the various interviews he's given.

Your other point, that there is no systemic analysis, I agree with. I think that it is a strength rather than a weakness.

Cicero, The Republic
it's welfare queens for the 21st century. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 01:43:25 PM EST
perhaps it would be fair to say he thinks the social norms elite political discourse demands of anyone who would place any claim on the system never existed among "hillbillies," but the central point is the same.

No, it wouldn't be fair to say that by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 01:49:32 PM EST
Did you read his book?

Cicero, The Republic
hell no, i read commentary and reviews by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 02:37:36 PM EST
and i've seen some of his media appearances. my characterization of where he's coming from is 100% on target.

I've you're unfamiliar with his words ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 04:00:53 PM EST
.. then I'm just going to ignore your input on that particular topic. You admittedly don't know what you're talking about.

lol by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 06:38:28 PM EST
"what, you only saw his TED talk, several reviews of his book, numerous media appearances, and dozens of pieces of commentary about him.. why, you don't know a thing about my man jd!" what a dipshit.

IHBT by lm (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 06:54:36 PM EST
IHL
HAND

Cicero, The Republic
get this, lee -- by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #18 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 08:38:04 PM EST
i haven't read a single thing by bill o'reilly and i think he's shit too!

fuckin' halfwit.

that's fair by lm (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 09:33:39 PM EST
It's good to see that you're uninformed opinions span the entire "conservative" spectrum of US politics.

Cicero, The Republic
you don't know what you're talking about on this by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Jun 21, 2017 at 06:57:23 PM EST
> he does not have a perspective that can lead society to a better place. he asks how society can put more appalachians through yale law, apparently without recognizing the fundamental limits of such goals.

He does not ask that question, at least not in Hillbilly Elegy, and in fact I don't see his book as even remotely suggesting that would be appropriate.

You're right that he's better at posing questions than at offering solutions -- but fundamentally what he's looking for from liberal America is empathy, and that's something that we've regrettably had in short supply for him and his.

dude, 'empathy' is horseshit. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Jun 21, 2017 at 10:08:33 PM EST
what people need is not the understanding of bankers, lawyers, and technology professionals. what they need is money, resources, the material necessities of a dignified, comfortable existence. those resources exist, but they currently go to selling dipshits who read the new york times and think of themselves as part of an enlightened, deserving elite metal tops for 800 usd a shot and financing similarly stupid purchases.

the analysis jd vance has is the same as the analysis given by so much of elite media: it exonerates the system that produces the wealth they enjoy, while claiming that the real problem is that each particular slice of the poor they manage to come up with has some combination of personal and cultural failings that could be addressed through education, but alas, some people just can't be reached. they never seem to get that the benefit of education is to put people in a better position compared with their peers and that some people will inevitably be on the bottom, as with the so-called hillbillies now. it's musical chairs. as long as what these people need is only available via a competitive, winner-takes-all system, there will be poor people to be vilified or, arguably more insidiously, condescended to as targets of elite "empathy."

Also ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 01:01:09 PM EST
" this type of liberalism ..." is misplaced. Vance is a died in the wool conservative.

Cicero, The Republic
american conservatives are liberals. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 01:37:17 PM EST

Whatevs by lm (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 01:50:47 PM EST
Virtually the entire mainstream discourse in the US is right of center on a global spectrum.

wtf? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Jun 21, 2017 at 06:55:40 PM EST
>  jd vance ("duh... former marine"), can diagnose the problems with groups and how they could be remedied if the individuals within those groups would just pull their pants up and be more like ivy league educated banksters.

That's ... not a fair reading of his book, in any way. He's not saying that his people need to pull up their pants and be more like ivy league educated banksters; hell, he even talks about how he felt pressured (by the other kids at his college) to disown his people and refused to do so.

The book really reads as both a missive of love and a missive of criticism. It's far more nuanced than you give it credit for.

lol 'his people.' by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Jun 21, 2017 at 10:22:35 PM EST
the yale alumni association is "his people." that's brave of him, not "disowning his people." jesus christ.

the love of fuckin' mithril capital lawyer jd vance means shit if your only financial prospect's being a blood donor for jd vance's boss. today's young jd vances should be hitting the blood mobile, not the books. that sweet blood money is going to dry up fast when they graduate. "dude, that's not fair, renfield has a really nuanced and important take on the peasantry of transylvania..."

I've been meaning to read Hillbilly Elegy. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jun 17, 2017 at 10:11:32 PM EST
I keep stepping back, possibly because I suspect I'll be reading about most of my family.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
(Comment Deleted) by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 09:17:20 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by lm

Violent and on drugs? by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 09:18:57 AM EST
The thing that I really appreciated about it is that it puts my aunts and uncles in a much clearer perspective in a very human way.

Not the violence so much - although there was some of that, one of my father's brothers once decided to kill the entire extended family. But the way that culture influenced their world views.

Cicero, The Republic
I couldn't possibly comment... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jun 19, 2017 at 12:31:36 PM EST
in detail outside the hole.

I certainly wouldn't claim my family has had it as bad as others have - just that, you can see my house from there. What's especially sad is that dad busted his ass to get us kids out of the rising crime and drug abuse of the 1970s, only to find it waiting for us when we moved into his idea of an exurb paradise.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
reading it was an interesting exdperience for me. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jun 20, 2017 at 12:48:15 PM EST
When my mother's life diverted from the rest of her family, she ended up dating a series of poor, emotionally (and sometimes physically) abusive white men, and ... they didn't grow up in the hill country, but they and their families had the exact same culture that Vance describes.

So reading the book was somewhat shattering personally, because of how much I recognized it.  (Her family is nothing like it, and it really reiterates the puzzle of what went wrong in her life.)

I can see that by lm (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jun 20, 2017 at 09:31:43 PM EST
Neither my mother's family nor my father's family is from Appalachia. But still quite a few similarities.

I think what makes Vance's testimony so important is that he's open and honest about a way of life that we don't like to admit exists.

FB by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #4 Sun Jun 18, 2017 at 08:47:46 AM EST
Yep, still no desire to return to that medium.

---------------
Two things by Herring (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Jun 19, 2017 at 06:05:13 PM EST
  1. I've been watching Sense8 recently because ... Netlfix and unemployment (it's a little bit like Heroes but with a lot more gay sex). So you've ohrwormed me. Thanks.
  2. SRAM Red. Well that is flash. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with that. I'm on Shimano Ultegra (now, aint you heard).
Leafy greens. Yay.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

My wife and daughter both watched Sense8 by lm (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Jun 19, 2017 at 09:33:30 PM EST
Every scene I saw from it made me want to watch it even less.

FX's Legion is pretty bad ass for a superhero show. How can you go wrong with a psychedelic portrayal of a schizophrenic mutant with psychic powers?

I'll let you know how I like the SRAM once I get the bike back and get a chance to take it out.

Not just leafy greens but also ibuprofen!

Cicero, The Republic
I'm pretty sure that... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jun 20, 2017 at 08:01:04 PM EST
a full SRAM Red group set costs as much as my newest bike.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I didn't get the full group set by lm (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Jun 20, 2017 at 09:29:32 PM EST
Didn't see a reason to change out the bottom bracket or the cranks.

And with the aero bars, I went with the bar end shifters + aero brake levers which end up being less than brifters.

No I just need to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on some serious wheels..