Print Story Six years ago?
By webwench (Sun May 21, 2017 at 08:42:03 PM EST) (all tags)
How did I find this post from six years ago?
And what happened over the subsequent six years?

Same old stuff...
My kid graduated high school and joined the Army! He's been in for about 9 months now and hasn't gone awol yet.
I'm still happily married to the same fellow! Been, what, nine years now?
Bought a 1200GS, still have the 1150GS (can't part with it due to the sentimental value... And no one would pay anything for a bike with ~160k miles on it anyway).
Down to two big boy cats and probably staying there.
Career going swimmingly, reasonable progression... Same employer, doing 'cloud stuff' right now, lots to learn.
Same location...
Can't believe I'm 45 freaking years old. I feel about... 25, maybe 30.

How about y'all?

< More self-pitying whining stuff | Self-pitying whining stuff - full reverse >
Six years ago? | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hell Ms. Wench. by hulver (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon May 22, 2017 at 04:07:38 AM EST
'Tis good to hear from you, glad you're doing well.

Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative1.

1 The alternative of course is being immortal, a long madness of watching everything you loved die and crumble while you wait for the world to end.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Good to hear from you! by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon May 22, 2017 at 07:17:55 AM EST
What mos is the boy in? Not 11 bravo, I hope. Maybe a nice intel job in Ft Huachuca...

So, didja get the tdi?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Feeling 25 by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon May 22, 2017 at 07:18:14 AM EST
I still think I'm in my 20s until I hang out with people in their 20s. Then I'm good with where I am.

6 years ago I had just moved to Texas after divorcing the bat-shit crazy ex. 6 years last weekend I was hanging out in Houston with clock, Stacky, theboz, riceowlguy, blixco (and his most awesome wife), and the one and only atreides. A week or so later, I got a message on eHarmony from the woman I went on to marry and we've got a 3 year old.

I lurk here but keep up with most of y'all on Facebook.

Life goes on... by ana (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon May 22, 2017 at 09:34:19 AM EST
Operating the satellite I've been working with for years now (it'll be 18 this summer; does it get a vote?). Still in the same house, with the bitiest of the managerie. Thinking of downsizing.

And I hear you, about thinking I'm much younger than I am. Most of the folks in my fiction are middle-aged now, so there's that.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

We're down to two cats by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon May 22, 2017 at 02:54:02 PM EST
Our favorite died of feline hepatic lipidosis last July.

I'm attaching a pic the fifteen_year_old made, she's a visual art major in her art school.

The twenty_year_old is finally figuring out how to study and do homework, she failed spectacularly as a full time college student on campus, and is now attending a community college part time.

I'm six years into being offshored, and being able to travel at a moment's notice to Europe and Canada without a visa for a short term business trip has given me a lot of travel opportunities. Most of my team-mates can not travel easily.

For various reasons, I have not ridden in years, the Kawasaki sits forlornly in our crapped up garage.

Visas by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon May 22, 2017 at 11:44:24 PM EST
The irony that being from here makes it easier to go there than those who are not from here.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Where the time went by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon May 22, 2017 at 11:42:34 PM EST
My son stopped being cute and started being a teenager.
I am an idiot about all things.  (According to said son)
Career is going well.
Homelife is going well.
I'm in my goddamn fifties goddamnit!
I also do cloud stuff on occasion
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I'm not even the same man I was 6 years ago. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 23, 2017 at 01:24:53 AM EST
True, or false?

You or me? by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat May 27, 2017 at 07:59:17 AM EST
Either way true.  But I'm an existentialist.

---------------
6 years ago... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue May 23, 2017 at 03:56:51 PM EST
This year:

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It could be worse, Billy Joel mentions several by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #10 Tue May 23, 2017 at 04:18:43 PM EST
places on Long Island.

Other Billy Joel songs... by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue May 23, 2017 at 05:50:15 PM EST
 "Scenes from an Italian co-working space"?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Holla by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue May 23, 2017 at 08:58:36 PM EST
I am glad you and yours are doing well! I like seeing your posts on the FB.

Let's see...

That is about it.
environment and ecology... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun May 28, 2017 at 11:40:45 PM EST
...statistics and programming are extremely useful.

Life and things by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat May 27, 2017 at 08:07:09 AM EST
I haven't quit my job in four years.  I still scan the job ads and apply to things that I think would interest me.  Super Mega Corporation philosophically doesn't match me, but they do pay well.  I'm mainly doing IT portfolio management now and also a lot of training for simple minded project and program managers.

Older daughter is in college.  She lives at home and commutes.  She's a poor student and also dealing with depression issues.  Younger daughter is in high school and starting to look at colleges which is hampered by my telling her, "we can afford x and if you want more you need to find scholarships to pay for it."

My wife is working as a clinical sociologist.  Let me tell you clinical sociologists at non-profits in the US make crap wages.  But she enjoys it.

---------------
Six years by LoppEar (4.00 / 3) #15 Sun May 28, 2017 at 02:22:19 PM EST
Life is pretty solid and seems like I'm happily planning the next step and next step of a pretty flat hike these days. Which is somewhat weird. Six years ago...

Planning my wedding, had just had engagement photos taken on the lakeshore in Chicago on what turned out to be the entirely foggiest midday I ever spent out there. Everything obscured and fresh. We're still happily bumbling along hand in hand.

Still had my house in GB, unoccupied. We left Chicago the next year, now we have a sprawling place deep in the woods of GA.

No pets, hard no to kids :: Several outdoor cats, and a two month old daughter!

I now own a motorcycle, and ride it steadily for short local runs. It's part of my old man mystique.

I was working for the trendiest retail marketer of my career, as they tried to absorb outside funding and clean up their everything. Did a few years of exhausting consulting, and now do that independently and much more laid back part time. Not progressing, other than learning new businesses and the occasional new framework as I move their data from one cloud to another and aim it at policy/decision maker's eyeballs.

Since I often have to contextualize where I know many of you from to relate a FB etc story with friends or family, I keep reflecting on how unexpected our cross-country meetups 10, 12, 15 years ago were.

Good times, internet friends, good times.

Hm. by barooo (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jun 12, 2017 at 02:27:47 PM EST
 Six years ago, We were about 3 months away from having babby, sometimes known as the little viking, but most recently mostly by her name.  I was working at $sports_recruiting, having just gotten into Ruby on Rails via a big initiative to make our Process more Agile and bring in consultants to teach us TDD and things.  I was pretty excited at the time, and looking back it was a huge turning point professionally.  I'm a way way better developer for it.  About a year later I jumped ship to an ed tech startup doing iOS stuff and also rails, via our own mmangino (not the fat former Kansas football coach).  I stayed there a couple years, was reasonably gruntled for the most part, but jumped ship again, also at mmangino's urging, and am now working at the transportation software startup he's at, currently doing a lot of Elm, and also quite a bit of Rails and other things.

Still have the same crew of pets, a 13.5 year old deaf arthritic lab, whose time is drawing near, a fat 13.5 year old (estimated; he was an adult rescue) tomcat that sometimes uses the litterbox, but usually just goes in the general vicinity, and a also 13.5 year old long haired meowy cat, as my daughter calls her.

Oh, there's a betta fish named Elsa and an ant farm too.

Daughter finishes* kindergarten on Wednesday.

I believe I had the BMW K75 6 years ago, I sold it about 3 years ago.  I had nowhere to park it, it got knocked over twice on the street, and the last year I put about 350 miles on it.  I miss it, and should I ever have a garage for it will get another bike, probably an R1200GS.

I'm also 40 freaking years old, but I'm pretty close to being in the best shape of my life.  Last year I did 6-8 months of pretty hardcore keto and dropped 50 pounds or so, started doing some running again, and back in January or so decided to try and get back into olympic weighlifting as a hobby.  I'm not athletic enough to be good at it, but it's fun, and thanks to mostly working from home, I can squeeze in training around breaks, etc.

* She's doing it again next year for many reasons that boil down to she was born on the cutoff date and is the youngest in her class, and her therapists agree another year of K would be good for her, and we have a truly amazing K teacher and feel pretty lucky to be able to get another year with her.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt