Print Story Staying in place
Working life
By yankeehack (Sun Apr 30, 2017 at 03:31:39 PM EST) (all tags)
A muggy, overcast day to match the mood.

So...
  • I'm still unemployed. This is not really what I wanted to be doing at this point, but...
  • The one tech company I had a phone interview with nearly a month ago never followed up, despite the hiring manager saying he'd get back to me by that Friday. I emailed the recruiter after the holiday and he did not respond either. Oh well, plenty of red flags on that one. It'll at least be a Glassdoor review when I need to renew my access.
  • I'm still not seeing anything great up here in Philly.
  • On Friday I was approached by two different recruiters for possible remote jobs. When I asked follow up questions for both of them, they didn't respond. So, either I'm an idiot or they are just filling a quota.
  • I am starting to look at jobs in Washington DC...thinking that change might be good for me. Either tech or something political. As it turns out, some of the digital job descriptions cover exactly what I have been doing, except that it's donors or constituents and not prospects or customers.
  • I didn't want to move immediately after LO left for school and I wanted to give being single a shot, but it's just not a good fit, career-wise or non-existent social life-wise.
  • LO is coming home in a little less than two weeks. She hasn't found a job quite yet and as it turns out, she is not that motivated about working at a camp. The soon-to-be graduating boyfriend broke up with her and a few days later, begged to be with her because he doesn't know what he wants. As much as I want her home, I am not in the mood to handle the logistics of having her home the whole summer.
  • My dad wrote me a screed on Friday night saying that he is worried about my job prospects and that LO and I could "always move back home."
  • In keeping with the I need a change theme, I've been (finally) going through my stuff and starting to purge. Trash days are Mondays, so after I edit some resumes this afternoon, I'll be going through things. I should have a few bags of stuff for the trash tomorrow and recycling for later this week.
Something has to change, right?
< Change is Inevitable | Baby take my hand >
Staying in place | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Something has to change by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Apr 30, 2017 at 03:41:50 PM EST
Yes.  Good luck.

---------------
It's hard to not find a job in DC these days by lm (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Apr 30, 2017 at 03:53:02 PM EST
That may change if the current administration continues to get its way with hiring freezes and culling jobs. OTOH, that may just result in a bonanza for contractors doing the same work for a lot more money.

Our youngest daughter will be down in Atlanta doing molecular biology at Georgia Tech for the summer. So if you want a place to crash while interviewing, etc., drop me a line. We effectively have a spare room for all but 3 or 4 weeks a year.

That said, my personal recommendation is to try to wait out LO graduating before you relocate. Every kid is different. But I think she'll be in a much better space if you wait.

Cicero, The Republic
Get a job in DC, room with a DC area husite, by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon May 01, 2017 at 10:58:29 AM EST
come home on weekends and let LO live by herself in Philly during the week. What could possibly go wrong?

moving while kid in college by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon May 01, 2017 at 01:55:11 PM EST
my parents moved while I was in college, and while it wasn't awesome, it was fine, especially as it was a short distance from where we were from if I wanted to visit. Frankly, these days people are getting pushed much more to "do something" over the summers, which makes where you live less important.

If you come to D.C. For an interview by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 02, 2017 at 07:34:11 AM EST
Give us a heads up. I don't think we've done a D.C. HusiMeet in quite a while.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Staying in place | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback