Print Story This is me, judging you.
Travel
By ObviousTroll (Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 10:38:22 AM EST) (all tags)
I made a list of impressions I got from our time in London, pretty much as they popped into my head. This is that list, slightly edited for spelling and grammar

1. Tell Troll Jr. about the real punch daggers on display at Windsor. Busts of generals with sweet whiskers, too.
  2. Oxford Street not much different from The Court At King of Prussia, all the same stores, but people watching is cool, and there are still phone booths all over London.
  3. We saw a puppeteer with an Eric Clapton marionette doing karaoke.
  4. Jesus quotes on the buses for Easter? Lots and lots of buses. About 10x what you would see on downtown Philly.
  5. All the service people seem to be foreign born, mostly eastern European, and there are help wanted signs everywhere. Heard lots of unfamiliar languages but no Spanish.
  6. No real cocktails in the restaurants. No one knows​ what a Manhattan is. The closest I got was a tiny “double” Irish whiskey with a single tiny rock in it. I asked Google where to go for a Manhattan and it told me the best place to go was NYC.
  7. OTOH, the Guinness I had was excellent, much better than in the US.
  8. Locals walk fast, tourists​ don't. It took me a few days to get my city legs back.
  9. The entire city is under construction. The entire country is under construction.
  10. Apparently peas are the national vegetable. They serve peas with everything. They put peas on my ravioli.
  11. Apparently the vast majority of homes here are brick, stone or cinder block. The Times had to explain to its readers that wooden homes easier to insulate and cheaper to heat and cool. Also, (from the Times) prefab still has a bad reputation here. I have to believe almost all US home construction uses at least some prefab components these days. OTOH you don't find many 400 year old wooden homes. There are fire extinguishers everywhere in London...
  12. Standing next to Tim Peake's Soyuz capsule, I discussed when the Apollo/Soyuz mission occurred with a long haired Russian who use Pink Floyd albums to work it out. He was off by a year but I didn't want to start an argument in the middle of a museum about when “Wish You Were Here” was released. A young Chinese woman overheard me complain about how I had actually used the model of computer in the museum’s display and proceeded to ask me to explain why computers are so fast. I very nearly started writing on the museum wall as I tried to explain it to her. After that, when I was looking at a replica of Harrison's famous clock, a kid ran up next to me exclaiming about how cool it was, I started to lecture him about how important the clock was too the history of navigation and history. He was very much not amused, although his parents were certainly amused by his reaction.
  13. The next day, I left a balloon animal at Stonehenge. Later I saw a boy take it and his dad packed it up for him. I tapped the dad on the shoulder and told him the dog came from America. He thought that was great and told me it was coming to live in Sudbury.
  14. What the hell is up with the peas? Seriously. What. The. Hell. Are “mushy peas” a side dish or some sort of satanic dipping sauce?
  15. I've been getting a lot of interesting looks for my denim jacket. Makes me regret not bringing a cowboy hat.
  16. A street performer told his audience that my enthusiasm was making the rest of them look bad, then asked me to stop it.
  17. Visiting London feels like visiting Philadelphia's big brother. There are lots of similarities in the architecture, and just the feel of it.
< Don't believe the timecard, it's not really vacation | This is me, judging Paris. >
This is me, judging you. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
US Homes by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 01:25:45 PM EST
Seem to fall down anytime there is a tornado, and if there's a forest fire nearby the whole town goes up in smoke. With London, it learned its lesson about wooden buildings in 1666...

Are “mushy peas” a side dish or some sort of satanic dipping sauce? Can't they be both?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Sure, but by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 03:04:54 PM EST
 who wants to live and in an old house anyway?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Does Soviet UKia even get tornadoes? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 05:19:46 PM EST
Or huge wildfires?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Earthquake country by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 06:42:48 PM EST
Wood-frame houses are far safer than anything built with brick or stone in an earthquake.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I am going to by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 01:38:47 PM EST
think of your comment about our local mall the next time I'm there. Heh.
Isn't it now by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 03:03:23 PM EST
 Officially larger than the Mall of America?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I think it is... by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 03:42:41 PM EST
especially with the new hoity-toity connector they put in.

I feel like I need to dress up when I merely walk through that part.

Plus that fake downtown the built across 202. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 04:46:40 PM EST
 i have no idea who they expect to eat at all those restaurants.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
There's by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 07:48:00 PM EST
also the new stores/restaurants/apartments by Wegmans. I guess they're expecting people from my neck of the woods to hang there.

Hard to walk when there are highways everywhere, as you well know.

It seems that the concept of walkability in places not at the mall has only recently captured the attention of the town planners.

Peas and ravioli. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 05:18:52 PM EST
I wonder if that's legit Italian? The Italian place I've been eating at since 1977 used to have peas in the marinara on the calamari.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I think peas are by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 06:18:29 PM EST
a Northern Italian thing. The same with risotto.

I have never ever seen peas in a Southern Italian dish ever. Lentils, yes (for New Years) or other beans but never peas.

This is me, judging you. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback