Print Story Don't believe the timecard, it's not really vacation
Health
By georgeha (Fri Apr 21, 2017 at 03:19:08 PM EST) the boys, dangling bits, Grave of the Fireflies (all tags)
This is my sixth day off, recovering from minor surgery. Today is the first day that I feel close to normal, so the long list of things I wanted to do on my time off has been barely scratched. I did get caught up on some movie viewing.

Poll: Most depressing movie?

I got snipped fifteen years ago, and developed a complication of that, a large buildup down below. It was partly a hydrocele, and an image search of hydrocele can give you an idea of what my nether bits looked like. The left side had been growing  bigger and bigger, and nearly killing myself driving through Pennsylvania in January on winding mountain highways convinced me I needed to deal with it. I moved my leg unwisely, compressed things, and experienced really bad stabbing pain, all well driving around 70 in northern Pennsylvania.

It took about four months to get a surgery date, on Good Friday. My doctor was probably Muslim, so he probably wasn't cranky from fasting. He removed 400 CCs of stuff from my dangling bits, yeah, a beer can's worth of stuff.

Since then I've been recovering. The three inch suture has stopped bleeding, and he was serious about keeping the boys compressed. It's sort of a peninsula with poor drainage, and you don't want extra fluid staying there.

Fifteen_year_old was off this week, so it made the mornings much easier. I was able to sleep in until 9 most days.

About the only things I really liked to do was sit on the couch with an ice bag and read, or watch movies. I showed the kids Guardians of the Galaxy, and then we saw Deadpool and Grave of the Fireflies. Oh boy, that last one was depressing.

Work has been busy, I tried to get offshore help for my cow-orker, since a lot of what I was doing is just parsing a few gigs of log files, we didn't need an actual printer. We'll see how busy I am on Monday.

I didn't even look into medical leave, as I doubted HR could get it's act together enough, and I didn't want to lose any money. Money is still tighter than I prefer.

Mrs. Ha has about ten months in at her job, and while there's been some rocky moments, she's going okay. There are some short paychecks, due to a wind storm, a snow storm and some anxiety issues.

It's finally spring, and the weather is getting nicer!

< Something in the water | This is me, judging you. >
Don't believe the timecard, it's not really vacation | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Bridge to Taribithia by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 21, 2017 at 03:44:37 PM EST
Good lord is that movie depressing.

---------------
Have not seen it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 21, 2017 at 07:54:13 PM EST
But I've added it.

Grave of the Fireflies by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 21, 2017 at 04:24:13 PM EST
I watched in on a flight somewhere, the subtitled version.  Near the end of it, I realized that the woman sitting next to me was sobbing.  She'd been watching it from the side.  (No sound needed due to subtitles)

That'll teach her to spy on other people's movies.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 21, 2017 at 06:00:00 PM EST
On a flight, so I had to rewatch it in decent surroundings.

wow. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu May 11, 2017 at 05:17:26 AM EST
that's got to have been a terrible experience for her. :{
I watched by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 21, 2017 at 09:23:50 PM EST
Gleason, the documentary about former football player Steve Gleason. I started sobbing at the part where he was participating in a race and he needed help from his friends. I did not stop crying until the end.

Thank god I was watching it by myself, I could not have watched that in a theater. However, I should have just had a roll of paper towels by my side, rather than gobs of tissues.
...

Also, glad you and the boys are recovering!

I never heard of it by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Apr 21, 2017 at 10:09:35 PM EST
But I added it, along with another football tear jerker.

Probably the most depressing move I've seen by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 06:28:23 AM EST
... is Affliction. Nick Nolte and Sissy Spacek star in a story about a man who was raised by an abusive alcoholic.

Cicero, The Republic
Okay, never saw it but added it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 11:35:57 AM EST

It has one really great bit of dialogue by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 12:30:01 PM EST
After the mother of the main character dies, his brothers come into town for a funeral. One (played by Willem Dafoe!) seems pretty normal. The other went super-fundy. The fundy one says that their mother is now in hell because she never accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior and that if they don't accept Jesus, they'll meet the same fate. To which the sane one replies, 'yes, me, her, dad, and Wade will all be in hell together".

Other than that touch of gallows humor, it's pretty bleak. The performances are good. But I don't recommend it.

Cicero, The Republic
oi by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu May 11, 2017 at 05:19:07 AM EST
so last year sometime, a friend of mine and I went to see a theatrical production of "a long day's journey into night."

i grew up in an emotionally abusive household. a number of my mother's husbands and boyfriends were serious alcoholics.

the experience of watching that play --- even though it was not about alcohol --- was ... soul crushing.

Grave of the Fireflies by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 06:48:39 PM EST
Far and away the most depressing movie I've ever seen...and I've seen "The Killing Fields".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
For depressing movies by gmd (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 07:15:48 AM EST
"The Road" is pretty good. also "Breaking the Waves".

Then there's "Idiocracy" of course, and "Office Space"

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I already listed a Von Trier film by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 11:34:06 AM EST
You could probably fill the list with his films.

I didn't even consider documentaries like Office Space.

For some reason by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 01:59:29 PM EST
I really connected with Children of Men, it did a real number on me and I still felt ill the next day after watching it.

Then again, I found Kate Bush's live thing, Before The Dawn, such an emotional event that I can rarely listen to Aerial nowadays without having a good cry at some point.

There's just no accounting for taste.

Children of Men can seem depressing by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Apr 22, 2017 at 09:43:30 PM EST
But only if you view it as an entirely first person account. Someone on HuSi clued me into that, but I can't remember who.

Once you realize that the entire film is a first person POV from Theo, the ending scene has a very dark interpretation.

Cicero, The Republic
Is it really minor surgery by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Apr 23, 2017 at 06:43:52 PM EST
if it requires more than a week of recovery?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I could walk an hour after surgery by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Apr 24, 2017 at 08:51:51 AM EST
but it wasn't until Thursday that I started to feel like my old self.

More minor than open heart surgery, or giving birth, but more major than wisdom teeth removal or getting snipped.

Glad you're feeling better. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Apr 24, 2017 at 03:26:50 PM EST
I do know what you mean - I had sinus surgery back in the 90s and it must have been 3 days before I really felt like the anesthesia had worn off.

It was also 6 months before I could blow my nose properly but that's a different story.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It will probably be another three weeks before by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #18 Mon Apr 24, 2017 at 04:08:56 PM EST
I stop wearing supportive undergarments during the day.

I'm not sure if my stitches will dissolve, or if they need to be taken out. I'm thinking I could use the holes to make an unusual piercing, way more extreme than a Prince Albert.

Heh. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Apr 24, 2017 at 05:08:08 PM EST
My first clear memory after the sinus surgery was me complaining about it feeling like the doctor had left a bunch of gauze stuffed up into my nose.

SWHTL looked at me funny and asked if I remembered what the doctor told me before he sent me home - because apparently there was a bunch of dissolving gauze stuffed up into my nose....

Don't know what I'd do without her.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals