Print Story I've got to stop having business trips like this
Working life
By georgeha (Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 01:54:11 PM EST) Visa, Civ III, multinationals, iMac, Trump (all tags)
I now serve three masters.

Plus, Trump dread, increasing shabbiness, hooray for Azuradisk and less in this first Georgeha dairy of 2017.

Poll: What ends Trump's Presidency?

In the late spring of 2011 I was at a customer site in the midwest, the customer had a new monstrously big shooting wax onto a huge roll of paper thing. The monstrosity was from my employer, and I was providing support since my team supported the digital front end.

I got news that my development team was being outsourced, not the product development and support, but the whole team. It's been a long strange trip.

Last week I was the middle of Pennsylvania supporting two digital front ends for melting plastic on paper things when I heard that my former employer was selling the product I support, rights and IP and such, to a company that specializes in digital front ends. The support and development still stays with my outsourcing company.

I'm not sure what will change in the long term.

Travel will probably become more rarer, as now three companies would have to agree to split the costs of last minute travel, my company, the new owners, and the previous company which makes all the ink, wax and plastic melting onto paper and other media contraptions.

I hope travel is still needed though, there are only a handful of people who know our software well and hold passports allowing them last minute short term business trips through out the US, Canada, Europe, Korea and Japan, and I'm one of them.

I heard some bigwigs from the new company will be in town next week, it was a good excuse to get my hair cut.

In other work news, I have been buried lately. I normally have a co-worker who supports everything I do, especially the really big iron that hasn't been offshored. He's a great help, but he went back to visit his family last month, and should be on his way back. I worry our President may do something rash and poorly thought out and poorly implemented in an attempt to protect American jobs, something like banning re-entry of visa holders. But really, should I be worrying about our President doing something rash and poorly implemented?

Our house is becoming increasingly shabby. Mrs. Ha's hours have been slowly increasing, she's still around 30 per week though. But, it's a physical job and she's doesn't have the time for as much housework. I do more, as does Roomba, but there's never enough time. We need to teach twenty year old to do more.

There's been a few teething pains on the new iMac. My Civ III DVD was pretty tore up by the old Mac's drive, and even repeated brasso couldn't fix the scratches enough to let it load. Trying to copy it took three days, and didn't work. Trying to find a local gamestop that fixed scratched disks didn't work. But mailing it to Azuradisk did, for a very modest fee.

Playing Civ III on a large archipelago map with 11 other civs is kind of boring, it's real hard to take over a civ on it's own island.

Next up, fix the wierd aspect ratio issue and the intermittent wake from sleep issues.

< My bones have started glowing | a new nadir of nerdery >
I've got to stop having business trips like this | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
On the upside your CEO by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 03:41:08 PM EST
didn't just publicly support Trump's policies.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I don't think Vijay has made any comments on Trump by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 03:45:28 PM EST
I'm still working for the outsourcing company who now gets money from the new company instead of the old company for development and support of the product I support.

I imagine Vijay is also concerned about Trump adjusting the visa policy, but he can just move more work back.

President Trump winning bigly!! by gmd (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 07:30:46 AM EST
 he can just move more work back.

And that's a good thing...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Make India Great Again! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 09:55:52 AM EST

Fifth poll option by marvin (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 08:23:39 PM EST
I recall something to that effect earning someone a visit from the secret service, a time long ago on a site far away.

So long as it's not the type of bang which leads to sudden lead poisoning? Or instantaneous for that matter.

Oh shoot by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 09:25:53 PM EST
TS Eliot probably isn't taught in Secret Service school.

They're not big on context either by marvin (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 11:24:26 PM EST
No poetic souls in that organization.

I don't know about that by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 06:32:43 AM EST
I seem to remember a couple of jokes being cracked.

Cicero, The Republic
Probably just their interrogation technique by marvin (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 08:58:09 AM EST
Some have said that their devotion to the organization is such that they may even crack a smile. Whatever it takes to extract the info.

2024 by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 09:19:58 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
WIPO by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 10:50:20 PM EST
Aneurysm.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I know this'll sound crazy, but... by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 12:56:31 AM EST
rubbing a banana peel on those scratches, then buffing with a soft cloth actually works.

Probably not with the deep concentric scratch by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 09:35:17 AM EST
brasso helped get out the small scratches, and it did read better, but couldn't fix the deep scratch.

I even tried vaseline, no luck. I think it needed the heated buffering machine to melt some plastic into that crack. Only about $5 a disk, too.

The Obamacare riots by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 06:44:13 AM EST
May come sooner than next year.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

hi there, i might resemble that remark. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 05:32:59 PM EST
> to a company that specializes in digital front ends

Wave!

Any trips to upstate NY in the future? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Feb 11, 2017 at 11:25:16 AM EST

business-wise? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Feb 11, 2017 at 03:35:25 PM EST
no. i work on internal tools, which means there's no work justification for me to travel at all. :)

i am going to Toronto for a wedding over Memorial Day, though.