Print Story Ditching Patreon, moving to liberapay
Money
By hulver (Fri Dec 08, 2017 at 09:18:55 AM EST) (all tags)
Due to Patreon changing their charging structure to make it more painful for people to give money through the platform, I'm moving to a more open site.

Liberapay

This is based in Europe, so I'm sorry that it might make it more expensive for US people to donate. You don't have a give much, seriously.

The idea with Liberapay is that you have a pot of money you pay into infrequently, and then you pay out from that at regular periods.

The developer of Mastodon (which hulvr.com runs) is on there.

There are no fees for the payment platform itself, they are a project on the site itself.

Let me know what you think, if you hate it and have a better idea please let me know.

Update [2017-12-8 14:44:49 by hulver]: Liberapay is anonymous to me. So if you sign up I can see that donations have been pledged, but I can't see who's signing up or how much you're donating.

< Why is it? | Bad Mood, Good Mood >
Ditching Patreon, moving to liberapay | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Happy to give it a go... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Dec 08, 2017 at 09:30:06 AM EST
I'm not aware of any better options.

Do you know if the Patreon setup will auto-cancel?

I would hope it would by hulver (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Dec 08, 2017 at 09:32:02 AM EST
I've closed my creator page there, and I think that will stop any further payments. You might want to manually delete the pledge anyway (if you can) or close your account if I was the only one you were supporting there.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
So far so good. by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Dec 08, 2017 at 10:08:00 AM EST
No fees for me.

Seems a bit quirky, like they're super private, don't do one-offs, etc. Personally I don't mind.

See you, space cowboy.

Patreon users seem to be unhappy by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 12:42:39 PM EST
On Slashdot again  Patreon Hits Donors With New Fees, Angering Creators

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Switched over [nt] by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Dec 10, 2017 at 02:05:58 AM EST

Thank you [nt] by hulver (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Dec 11, 2017 at 03:55:02 AM EST

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Wow by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Dec 10, 2017 at 05:38:20 PM EST
Liberapay clearly doesn't spend much overhead on UX designers :-P

But from a financial standpoint, sure, it's all good.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Of course not by hulver (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Dec 11, 2017 at 03:54:45 AM EST
It's open source. :-D
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I got a little confused when by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 12, 2017 at 11:04:08 AM EST
I got a notice from my CC company about "foreign transaction fees" but otherwise it worked fine.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals