Print Story Why is it?
Money
By hulver (Thu Dec 07, 2017 at 04:56:50 AM EST) (all tags)
That as soon as I start using something, they fuck it up.

Patreon are a bunch of greedy fuckers.

So Patreon are changing their fee structure. They're trying to sell this as "Creators get more money" when what it really is is "Patreon gets more fees".

Previously if you pledged small amounts to different people, they took a payment processing fee, and a 5% charge for themselves.

Now they have said that they're passing these payment processing fees onto Patrons. The fee is $0.35 + 2.9% PER PLEDGE.

So if you pledge $1 to 10 creators, the charge is 2.9% + $0.35 * 10.

This is such bullshit.

So, looks like I'm looking for an alternative. I'm going to stop using Patreon for the small pledges I was doing (no word from them, but I'm pretty sure they'll take the "payment processing fees" from money that's been paid to me by you guys).

Fuckin hell. What a PITA.

< Everybody's Looking For Something
Why is it? | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Well by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Dec 07, 2017 at 08:07:35 AM EST
Husi was born out of the clusterfuck that K5 became. Time for Huseon?

fliegende kinderschei├če by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Dec 07, 2017 at 09:18:40 AM EST
A flat fee per-pledge really fucks up their business. The thing about Patreon is while it's nearly universally popular among artists, the patrons make up their own demographic. In less polite terms, the internet art scene is a circlejerk and that's really going to turn off these people who are supporting dozens of artists.

I guess the hope is they've got a critical mass or most people "won't mind" enough to stop combined with the SV-logic that $100k/year is barista wages.

Chill out, snowflake.

I think by Gedvondur (4.00 / 3) #3 Thu Dec 07, 2017 at 11:29:41 AM EST
Kickstarter just started a pledge support program called Drip.

I don't know what they charge, but it might be worth checking out.

I can't see their charges page by hulver (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Dec 07, 2017 at 12:30:15 PM EST
It goes to a bizarro 404 type thing at the moment.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
skim by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 07, 2017 at 02:05:47 PM EST
I think the financial middleman skims a lot more than Patreon does, the system is not at all designed for frequent microtransactions.

Congratulations by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Dec 07, 2017 at 05:52:52 PM EST
 You've been Slashdotted

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Gargon is using by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Dec 08, 2017 at 12:28:23 AM EST
Liberapay. I'm happy to switch to that, or back to the one-off donations page (which I think was VAT-free), or anything else if you think they're better.
Yes by hulver (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Dec 08, 2017 at 04:51:15 AM EST
I saw fluffy mention that as well. I'm definitely going to look into it.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock