Print Story Fourth quarter blues
Christmas
By georgeha (Wed Dec 20, 2017 at 01:00:06 PM EST) Clerks, ale, BSOD, BDSM (all tags)
Plus, not the right job, close to that deduction, I want my vacation and less.

Poll: Best Christmas song?

I've been in the line of customer support since 1994, and since my support involves expensive pieces of equipment that sales folk push hard to sell in the fourth quarter, my fourth quarters have usually been busy.

On the hotline days it was usually helping users new to this technology, kind of like September on the internet. As I've moved closer to the developers, it's now new problems. The easy, canned demo jobs worked in the demo room, but now when actual customer jobs are printed, suprises can happen.

My current headache is sort of related to the fourth quarter. A customer has a job that rips slow, in a workflow I don't support. They've had this issue for a year, but it's suddenly become hot. I suspect it's a fourth quarter issue, a competitor wants to sell them stuff, and if we can supply a fix for this, they just might. I've been spending a lot of time on the monstrosities trying to get the developers the data so they fix it, and testing patches, all for this a transactional workflow I don't support.

The deadline is 29 December, and I'm supposed to be on vacation from the 22nd to the 1st. I can easily see being asked to travel onsite to install any fix we have, and losing vacation days with no compensation, for a feature I don't support. Yeah, I'm channeling Clerks.

In the US tax system, one can deduct allowable medical/dental/vision expenses if they exceed 10% of your gross adjusted income. We're usually many thousands of dollars away from that goal. This year we may come within a thousand or two. Yeah, we'll probably exceed $8,000 in qualified expenses, mostly due to Mrs. Ha and twenty_one_year old's expenses. That's part of the reason we can't make traction on our credit card debt.

It will probably stay that way for a long time. Twenty_one_year old is getting better, and making strides towards independence, but I'm skeptical she'll be on her own in the next few years.

Rochester is home to a world class supermarket chain, it's been touted as the best in the US, and could be the best in the world. Mrs. Ha's unemployment was due to run out, and she got a job, but not the right job. It's at a supermarket chain, but not the famous one. She hates it, she was close to being fired for being under on her drawers, and yesterday she BSOD'ed the register, twice. She's hoping to move into the bakery soon, maybe that will be better.

She visited a for profit college yesterday. For around $32,000 she can get a two year certification as a medical technician to get a job doing what she did before. That might pay off in eight or nine years.

The adviser thought she could get grants and such to get down to around $10,000, but I'm skeptical. On paper we're middle class.

In the meantime, she's looking for a better job.

Sixteen_year_old is doing great. She got into the National Honor Society, she's getting lots of college emails, and is considering SUNY-Purchase. A sUNY school means free tuition, as long as she's full time.

She's even making presents for Christmas, little chocolate candies. The only downside is I have Holiday ale to keg, and once it's kegged there's no room for her to store stuff in the beer fridge. It's a small beer fridge.

The tree is now decorated. I made the sixteen_year_old laugh during the deocrating, the oldest was being too methodical and regular putting up garland, I accused her of practicing BDSM on the tree.

< Yeah, that's pretty much nowhere
Fourth quarter blues | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A BDSM Christmas. by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Dec 20, 2017 at 02:14:19 PM EST
Wish I was creative enough to come up with lyrics. I reckon the safe word would be "EGGNOG!"

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

ballgags on bottoms by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Dec 20, 2017 at 02:32:41 PM EST
and leashes on gimpsuits
bright stainless handcuffs and warm fuzzy fur suits...

Julie Andrews? by marvin (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Dec 21, 2017 at 01:31:24 AM EST
What does "These are a few of my favourite things" have to do with Christmas?

mittens, snowflakes, sleigh bells by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Dec 21, 2017 at 08:07:23 AM EST
packages in brown paper, come on, it's obvious.

When the dog bites by marvin (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Dec 23, 2017 at 02:03:39 AM EST
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad

WIPO by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Dec 20, 2017 at 08:48:17 PM EST
Any of the following:

Hey Santa (UK Subs)
Homo Christmas (Pansy Division)
Oi to the World (The Vandals)
Fuck Christmas (Fear)
Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh! (Showcase Showdown)

Cicero, The Republic
I don't think I've heard that FEAR song by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Dec 20, 2017 at 09:18:20 PM EST
and I had two of their albums.

It's on a play list I'm making by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Dec 20, 2017 at 09:52:36 PM EST
Keep it a secret. It's for a Christmas present: https://goo.gl/onP14L

Cicero, The Republic
WIPO by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Dec 20, 2017 at 10:08:12 PM EST
Everclear - "I will be hating you for Christmas"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0zBZ6zL_qw
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
WIPO by Herring (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Dec 21, 2017 at 01:09:33 PM EST
It's cliched to be cynical at Christmas

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Your kids by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Dec 23, 2017 at 06:54:55 AM EST
Reading the status update for your kids is like reading one I might post.

---------------
Working in a supermarket... by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Dec 23, 2017 at 12:58:28 PM EST
SWHTL works in the health-and-beauty section and Lamb works in the bakery between semesters - but both find it exhausting work. SWHTL is planning to quit in 2019, she feels she getting too old to keep lifting those crates. They keep asking her to become a manager type but managers are expected to work whenever they're needed and the market is open 24-hours a day so she keeps saying no.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It is a very physical job by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Dec 23, 2017 at 05:05:34 PM EST
Mrs. Ha is really annoyed at the soda sales, it's cheaper than water, but it's a lot of lifting in and out of carts.

She's moving to the bakery, we'll see how that works.

Twenty four supermarket manager has to be one of the worst jobs I can think of, even fast food places close.

Fourth quarter blues | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback