Print Story Um, hi
By riceowlguy (Tue Dec 12, 2017 at 05:50:42 PM EST) (all tags)
and stuff.

Hi, folks.  Haven't written here in...more than two years.  The last time I wrote I was apparently whinging about what kind of car I wanted to buy.  A bit more than a month after I wrote that, I ended up getting a VW GTI, which I had previously dismissed because the seats were too uncomfortable.  Turns out that those were the leather seats, the cloth seats are more comfortable (although still kind of rough for a wide person, and I've gotten a lot wider in the past two years).

So hey, I finally moved to Cascadia like I had talked about doing since, I don't know, 2006?  I'm in Portland, specifically.  Actually, I work in downtown Portland, but I live out in a suburb just on the west side of the city.  What this means is that all of the people who actually live in Portland look down their noses at me for being a boring suburban loser, but the people I meet out in the country assume I'm a snobby effete urban asshole.  If the shoe fits, right?

< You know what they call a quarter-pounder with cheese on Vulcan? | Brexit means not Brexit >
Um, hi | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hello! by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Dec 13, 2017 at 06:28:13 AM EST
I've always loved Portland. My brother lived in the far western exurbs for a while.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

I know lots of good people out that way by lm (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Dec 13, 2017 at 07:11:42 AM EST
My youngest daughter is currently a junior at Lewis & Clark. And a few families I knew from Ohio have since settled in Portland.

Cicero, The Republic
VW Seats by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Dec 13, 2017 at 08:13:29 AM EST
I've never sat in a VW and thought the seats were comfortable.  I test drove a Passat once while shopping for a family car and it was like sitting on a wood bench.

Hard seats by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Dec 13, 2017 at 11:50:42 AM EST
Builds STRONG GERMAN CHARACTER!

What year was that passat? by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Dec 13, 2017 at 09:00:41 PM EST
I had a late nineties passat for a few years. It was probably the most comfortable car I've ever driven regularly.

Cicero, The Republic
Sporty = lots of bolstering by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 14, 2017 at 06:35:43 PM EST
Given that it's a GTI, a certain amount of aggressive side bolstering is expected.  I have definitely broken in the driver's side seat over the past two years; any time I sit in the front passenger seat the difference is astonishing.

True by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Dec 15, 2017 at 08:38:08 AM EST
But that can be done in a way that allows for comfort.  My Alfa seats are pretty aggressively bolstered, but they are comfortable (even for a fat old bastard).

welcome back by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Dec 13, 2017 at 04:00:09 PM EST
I'm due for another diary, but it would be about the same as all my previous diaries.

dude!! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Dec 14, 2017 at 02:09:28 PM EST
I had hoped you escaped Harvey!

hope things are going well for you.

More or less by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 14, 2017 at 06:33:12 PM EST
I was glad I sold my house before Harvey, but in retrospect, since I'm pretty sure my house made it through Harvey just find, I wish I'd hung on to it a bit longer because I probably could have gotten another 25% on the price due to the spike in demand.  Yes, I am a vampire/vulture.

Um, hi | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback