Print Story Thinking of doing a 340 mile bike ride.
By ObviousTroll (Tue Nov 28, 2017 at 12:02:22 PM EST) (all tags)
From Pittsburgh to Washington, sometime in April/May 2018.

Didn't a Hussie once bike this route? I remember someone asking me how cold it was going to get going over the Alleghenies.

Also - anyone interested in either joining the trip or a meet up when I get there?
< The Return of the Bride of Frankenbike | Captain's Log - November 28, 2017 >
Thinking of doing a 340 mile bike ride. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Was it ad hoc? by hulver (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Nov 28, 2017 at 12:28:48 PM EST
I seem to remember him doing some biking at some point.

Or maybe the flighttests? I remember him doing a fairly long ride for charity, but can't remember where he did it.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

You'll need more than one bidon by Herring (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Nov 28, 2017 at 01:17:21 PM EST
HTH

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

allegheny trail by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Nov 28, 2017 at 01:52:44 PM EST
ride from Pittsburgh to DC, I've got a number of friends who have done it.

I think dev trash did some of it at one point, but not the entire trail.

Wiredog has probably ridden many of the VA/DC parts (the tow-path, etc).

The tow path by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Nov 28, 2017 at 08:36:18 PM EST
is the obvious (and flat) way from Pittsburgh to DC (at least from DC to Cumberland Maryland). After that, you take the "Great Allegheny Passage" which while it claims to be "nearly flat" is unlikely to be "canal towpath flat".

Wumpus

Steepest eastbound grade is 0.8% by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 29, 2017 at 06:53:24 AM EST
I'd say that qualifies as "nearly flat".

Headed west, you get just over twice that at one point. Still not very steep.

Cicero, The Republic
Interesting. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Dec 04, 2017 at 08:01:28 PM EST
The maps make that grade look quite steep - like spending a day going up a 3+% grade steep.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Towpath isn’t paved by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Dec 02, 2017 at 07:34:31 AM EST
I wouldn’t ride any distance on it on a road bike.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Fortunately by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Dec 04, 2017 at 07:58:29 PM EST
I have my commuter bike that I never got to actually use on a commute. Nice 30mm wide tires that I can widen if need be.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Actually, after having said that... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Dec 04, 2017 at 08:09:04 PM EST
What is the trail surface? Pea gravel, cinders, dirt?

Doing a couple hundred miles on rutted dirt would be pretty tiring.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Don't know about the whole thing by lm (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Dec 05, 2017 at 06:54:22 AM EST
Right around DC it's packed dirt with some gravel.

This site has a picture so it looks like it's pretty much the same up in Cumberland as well: http://bikewashington.org/canal/

Cicero, The Republic
remarkably smooth from Harpers Ferry to Georgetown by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Dec 05, 2017 at 10:11:43 AM EST
although you might have to avoid the occasional rut/puddle. Long, long and further west of that (near Paw Paw tunnel I guess) ago I remember riding a 10 speed over dirt formed around animal tracks and thought that a bmx bike (not sure if mountain bikes existed then) would have been better.

Wumpus

I rather doubt there is more than a mile total of rutted dirt, but haven't been beyond Harper's Ferry in decades.

My wife didn't say "no" by marvin (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 28, 2017 at 11:14:39 PM EST
The responsible part of my brain suggests that reply may not qualify as consent to join you.

I might be in by lm (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Nov 29, 2017 at 06:49:04 AM EST
Getting up to that distance by spring would be a stretch for me. And my race calendar starts in May so timing might be an issue.

It might be more realistic to meet up with you at Harper's Ferry or such and just do the last 50 miles or so.

Cicero, The Republic
That would be amazing if we can make it work. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Dec 04, 2017 at 07:59:58 PM EST
I realize this is all speculative at this point, but if we can make it work, let's do.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals