Print Story Funding HuSi
Money
By hulver (Thu Nov 16, 2017 at 10:19:59 AM EST) (all tags)
A few thoughts about paying for HuSi (and Hulvr)

I was going over my household budget the other day, due to impending fatherhood and reduction in income when baby is born.

That made me do a little review of the accounts for HuSi, and to make sure that everything is up to date.

Which it is.

But I'm trying to find ways of cutting down my expenses, and paying for HuSi is one of those expenses. Especially now I've decided to increase the server costs by running another site as well.

I know people are great about donating money, but they don't always remember, and I hate asking as it always feels like I'm begging.

So, I've decided to set up a Patreon site to take regular payments towards the server costs of HuSi and Hulvr. If a few people could chuck a few quid a month, that would be great. If you can't, or you don't want to, no worries. The site isn't going away anytime soon, I've always said that I'm going to carry on running it while I still want to, and I do.

I'm not using Patreon anymore, due to some recent fee changes they've made.

See here for more details.

Cheers,

h

< That made his ears burn | Lessons learned >
Funding HuSi | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yay—a non-paypal option. by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 16, 2017 at 11:23:18 AM EST
The last time I gave them my details it caused me a lot of trouble. Patreon uses Stripe, which is... I mean here, have some money.

See you, space cowboy.

VAT by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 16, 2017 at 03:09:22 PM EST
To get 1 dollar to you we have to sign up to pay 1.20 to cover VAT. Is there any advantage to just using the HuSi donation page instead?
No by hulver (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Nov 16, 2017 at 03:53:01 PM EST
It's just more regular.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I would have expected by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 12:18:23 AM EST
You to be below the VAT threshold, but signed up on Patreon now.
It looks as though Patreon is the thresholdee by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #14 Sun Nov 19, 2017 at 09:33:21 PM EST
I guess the VAT's worked out properly, but yeah, it's 20% extra going to HMRC that wouldn't if we paid by PayPal.

I was super-confused by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Nov 16, 2017 at 04:11:02 PM EST
last time I had a VAT-affected client was before they changed the rules. No VAT needed on my side of the pond:

Kind of stupid that they need to collect VAT at all, but it's expected you'll ransom content for pledges.

See you, space cowboy.

Peru .... by Oberon (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 05:44:31 AM EST
According to that page, it seems that Peru has joined the EU. Cool! Maybe swapping places with the UK?

How now, mad spirit?
Good catch by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 12:25:30 PM EST
I skimmed the list to make sure I didn't spot anything in the Americas. Derp.

See you, space cowboy.

Done! by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 07:13:23 AM EST
The McClocky family is in!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Thank you by hulver (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 07:36:13 AM EST
Much appreciated.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
No, THANK YOU! by clock (4.00 / 6) #11 Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 10:08:39 AM EST
I owe you a debt that can't be paid in cash. But we can start here.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

It may be a good time by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 09:33:12 AM EST
...to revisit where and how Husi is hosted, as hosting costs have tumbled over time.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
$25 a month is quite cheep. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 10:04:16 AM EST
I tried to go cheaper with hulvr, but the instance didn't have enough memory.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Done by jimgon (4.00 / 3) #13 Sat Nov 18, 2017 at 03:55:01 PM EST
Thanks for providing us a village.

---------------
Done by miserere (4.00 / 2) #15 Mon Nov 20, 2017 at 11:59:05 AM EST
And thank you! I can't even begin to tell you how much this place means to me.

When I next get a job ... by Herring (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Nov 20, 2017 at 03:32:22 PM EST
n/t

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Thanks by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Nov 27, 2017 at 01:00:47 PM EST
I sent a bit of money your way last weekend. Sorry it's not more and sorry I haven't done it in a long time if not at all. But thanks for making a great place here.

And looking forward to baby pics.

Thank you by hulver (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Nov 27, 2017 at 03:17:48 PM EST