Print Story Done With Utah
Death
By wiredog (Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 11:31:06 AM EST) (all tags)
Well, probably done. Only took a week out there to finish wrapping up.

Saturday the 2nd of September, the start of a 3 day weekend, I flew out to Salt Lake City, rented a car, and drove down to Cedar City. Hadn't done that drive in a few years and, my, how SLC has expanded in a few decades. Pretty much solid urban area all the way down to Spanish Fork. (Lehi, north of Spanish Fork, was in the middle of nowhere when Footloose was filmed there.) Got to Cedar in the late afternoon.

Normally, by early September, Cedar is cooling into the mid-80's, but this year the west was having extreme heat and it was mid-July hot. Mid-90's daily. Got into the house, unpacked, went out to dinner and then down to Rockville for the Saturday night AA meeting. Got home and the air conditioning (original to the house, so 30+ years old) was making awful and loud noises as if it was shedding parts. Monday was a holiday, so it was Tuesday before the HVAC guy could come out and take a look at it. Turns out it sounded like it was shedding parts because it was, in fact, shedding parts. Specifically, the blower fan had come loose from the motor and was banging around in the housing. So both had to be replaced. The parts came in Friday, and the heat broke on Saturday. Pity it couldn't have waited a couple months but if that $500 is the only unexpected expense then I'm doing OK, I guess.

Other than that it was mostly wrapping up some odds and ends. Sold Dad's Subaru to a friend of his, the ex-wife of a college professor of mine. Finished up the packing of the things I wanted to keep. Took care of a few paperwork things that were easier to handle on site, especially the bank accounts.

Fortunately Dad had very simple investments. A small savings account, a checking account, some CDs, and a Roth IRA. Since my bank had bought an investment house during the crash of 08 I used them to set up an investment account to hold all the money from Dad's accounts and the (eventual) sale of his house, and an inherited IRA for the Roth IRA. So a couple of hours at Dad's credit union working through the intricacies of wiring all the funds to the various accounts and the discovery that their computers didn't have a code to wire an IRA rollover to an investment account, so they cut a check for that, which I deposited in the inherited IRA when I got home.

The estate sale people were in and out all week figuring out what was salable, organizing it, and hauling off stuff that wasn't.

That Friday, the 8th, the moving company loaded up the stuff I was keeping. Not much, as I don't have room for much and I'm a bit of a minimalist anyway. All of that stuff arrived here last week and need to get a small storage unit for some of it. 50 years of slides to sort through... It only cost $3000, which is competitive with a U-Haul once you figure in the cost of fuel, hotels, and meals on the road, plus the hassle of driving it 4 days across the country.

Sunday I drove back to Salt Lake, via the scenic route on Rt 89. Hadn't driven that in years. Very pretty drive if you have the time, which I did.

The estate sale was weekend before last, the check came in the mail yesterday. Yesterday was also the day I hauled the stamp and coin collections to Annapolis Md. Got $1000 for the coins, and $1000 up front for the stamps, with more to come once they sort through them and sell them off. They would have been worth twice as much a few years ago, but all the collectors are my Dad's age, so the market is getting flooded. Same thing is true of his model railroading stuff. Probably take a few years to sell all of that off.

So nothing left to do but sell the house. And find a good tax guy. Won't have to worry about inheritance tax, but do have to worry about Dad's taxes, and mine will be a bit more complex, and I just want to hand someone a box full of paperwork and let him deal with it.

It was weird going around Utah and realizing that after almost 30 years I just didn't have any real connection there anymore. A few, 4 really, old friends that I saw while I was out there and that was it. 17 years of living elsewhere and almost all the people I knew had moved on. So I probably won't have any reason to ever go back there. Maybe if a job took me out to Salt Lake or Vegas I might take a weekend to visit.

< argh so close | more stuff and things >
Done With Utah | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
No reason to ever go back... by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 11:55:45 AM EST
It's kind of a stark realization. I know after visiting several times a year toward the end of my parents' lives, there was rather suddenly no reason to go at any particular time, so I didn't. Though I did see the close relations who still live there at a family wedding in the meanwhile.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

that looks nothing like Beaumont! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 02:28:23 PM EST

That's because by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 03:50:18 PM EST
it's in Lehi Utah.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Turbotax has not let me down yet by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 03:11:34 PM EST
and it's dealt with the inheritance from Mrs. Ha's dad, her many jobs, her unemployment, my job switch, some 401k cashing out, expenses and revenue from our rental, and expenses and royalties from my books.

I don't buy it though, my dad does.

The investment company we went with for Mrs. Ha's dad's stuff did let us down, we choose them because our brother_in_law works for them. They gave us incomplete forms, which lead to letters from the IRS, calls to them, and a nice and productive meeting at the local IRS office.

Seriously, the IRS guy reviewed my paperwork, said it looked good, we did our taxes correctly, didn't owe, and offered to send in the documentation for us.

I worry about the books and computer crap our kids will have to deal with. Games might still be collectable, but inkjets and desktops?

I'm like that about San Diego by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 11:16:19 PM EST
Spent much of my youth there, college and the early part of my career.  Met my wife there.  But now, twenty-five years later, I know no one from that time.  Everyone left.  Oddly, a number of old college/high school friends live within fifty miles of me...no one back there.

It's especially odd, because I go there on business all the time and it just seems...alien now.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

this is how i feel about the san gabriel valley by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 02:53:16 PM EST
I lived there from 1983-1991, the end of elementary school, all of middle and high school.

I know people, vaguely, from high school, but i'm not close enough to most of them that I'd visit them, and the ones I'd visit don't live there.

So I have no connection to that place.

Santa Cruz and New York still are home, in a way. The San Gabriel Valley isn't.

My home town is the same by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 07:43:44 AM EST
It's the small town that every high school kids says they'll escape - but never do.  Somehow almost all of mt graduating class did actually move on.  I know of three people from my general circle that are still there.

Done With Utah | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback