Print Story Fall leaves falling
By LoppEar (Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 12:50:53 PM EST) (all tags)
Finally kicked the heat on this week, hard to believe the last time I wrote here we'd just bought this house. But as always, I've been lurking.

This year, we had a baby girl. Plans change.

Mastodon, social media, reading, etc.

Hard to believe she's already 7 months old, too! I now make close note of which friends have kids sandwiching her birthday, near and far. Made a meal to take to another new family in town today, cause that was the nicest thing folks did for us in the first weeks. She's army crawling her way to everything in whatever room we set her down in, and singing while she waves any object she finds around before either dropping it loudly or putting it in her mouth. Sitting up, smiling at everyone, she's perfectly healthy and happy 99% of the time.

Still run into the family member or friend I haven't seen in a while who asks "weren't you two planning on never having kids", and yep! But of course it was a quiet slow road to changing our minds and then actually making it happen - and once you're deeply on that road and have nothing to show for it yet, it's even harder to talk about with folks. Happy to talk about it now, of course, because we entirely lucked out in the end and know it.

* * * *

I still love you all (though not in the way that duxup may), as has been long mentioned enough of you migrated to Facebook a decade ago that I've still got my HuSi circle close to my heart. But man 2016 killed my social media buzz, and I wish they would all fade into the oblivion that we used to have for social media sites (bye MySpace!) after a couple of years.

I've set up camp in the Mastodon space @loppear@social.coop, a cooperatively maintained and funded federated instance that gives me some joy and a focused reminder of what I want the web to return to. Discovery is a little hard, good and bad. Forging a new set of like-minded folks in the fediverse echoes some early K5 moments of randomness, and I'm mildly optimistic.

Still mostly consume the web through RSS. What dinosaurs may come.

* * * *

Having a kid has not yet slowed my reading down, though perhaps a few more audiobooks than before. Sci-fi, social justice, and history the bulk of it. 18/74 books by women so far this year, so still struggling to get that 50% goal I set for myself each year. Easy recommendations from this year:

The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas
Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
The Waves, Virginia Woolf
Uprooted, Naomi Novik
Lincoln in the Bardo, George Saunders
Do Not Say We Have Nothing, Madeleine Thien

And I'm almost done with The Stone Sky and expect that series to be my fave of the last few years.

< This made me laugh | Public Service Announcement to UKIANs >
Fall leaves falling | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Stone Sky by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 02:33:47 PM EST
heh, finished that last night and it's sitting in the return-to-library pile now.

Some doofus checked it out the day before I went in to get it, so I had to read her Inheritance trilogy while I waited for it to be returned.  Both good series, I enjoy her work.

Nice by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 04:10:13 PM EST
I think I read the first of the Inheritance, but Broken Earth pulled me in a lot more.

About half my library reading is ebooks these days, which means knowing that I'm "25 of 56 holds on 10 copies" or whatever... the approximate knowledge of when it's coming (within a week or so) is outweighed by the tick... tick... tick...

Inheritance by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 07:57:39 PM EST
Yeah, I read the first one, thought it was ok, never bothered with the others.  The Broken Earth pulled me in and didn't let go.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Inheritance by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Oct 26, 2017 at 11:43:37 AM EST
skipped around in characters and perspectives between the books, but stayed in the world. The first was definitely the strongest of the 3.

Broken Earth: I'm totally a sucker for any "deadciv" type of sci-fi, and that it was a more or less consistent character/narrator over the series helped.

Both left me feeling like the story was incomplete -- lots of unanswered questions about the world etc. It's funny, in a hard sci-fi, I don't need to know how the quantum frabulator allows FTL travel or whatever - I can just accept it, because science.

Yet I felt the magic in Broken Earth was just left there ("every living thing produces it" ie "it is what it is") and that felt unsatisfying. Similarly with Inheritance, the Gods and magic felt kinda like the Harry Potter joke ("Why's Hermoine fix Harry's broken glasses with magic, instead of fixing his eye sight?" -- that kind of "problem with magic" setup - do all this overly complex stuff on one hand, but on the other hand "waves hand and does magic" to do all this other complex stuff)

Those are fair critiques by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Oct 26, 2017 at 12:00:09 PM EST
But like you, I'm a sucker for far future apocalyptic fiction, playing with points of view and unreliable narratives and complex characters.  So it really just pushed all my buttons.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
congratulations by gmd (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 07:07:11 PM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Good to hear from you. by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 07:46:32 PM EST
Congrats and best wishes for the little one.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

And you! by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 07:57:49 PM EST
Always keeping my eye out for a NE trip but who can say when we'll see each other again - hope to before too long though.

Mastodon by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Oct 28, 2017 at 05:48:21 PM EST
Do folks have a preferred app for connecting?  I'm an app guy for social media and not big on web interface for such.

Also congratulations on the youngun.

---------------
Not so by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Oct 29, 2017 at 02:57:15 PM EST
I use the web gui (as I do for TW/FB), but folks I follow seem to use either Tusky or Twidere.

Fall leaves falling | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback