Print Story Everyone needs some good covfefe every now and then
By lm (Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 08:21:20 AM EST) (all tags)
And since I am part of everyone, I decided I needed some too.

So I present to you, Covfefe, my new commuter.

Note the dork disk. I`m too lazy to remove it.

I pretty much commute by bike year round. So I've been wanting a rig with disc brakes and fenders for a while. That coupled with the various mechanical difficulties I've had this past summer and long swaths of time where my bike was in the shop, motivated me to buy a new commuter rig and demote The Frankenbike to back up status.

I was kind of surprised at how much bike you can now get at the bottom of the semi-serious range. After adding fenders, a rack, pedals, and paying The Man his fair share in taxes, I ended up $250 over budget.

The specs:

Fuji Sportif 1.5
Aluminum body
Carbon fork
Internal cabling
Tiagra 10 speed derailleur
Disc brakes
Dork disc

I swapped over my old saddle and aerobars.

The ride.

I was a bit surprised at how heavy this bike is. My old steel framed commuter is actually lighter.

The latest Tiagra level shifters are much smoother than the aging ones I have on The Frankenbike.

The default cassette has a much larger chainring in the back than the 11/25 I've been riding for the past few years.

Disc brakes are great in wet weather.

Fuji saddles suck donkey balls.

What the aluminum adds in energy transference, the larger tires take away. I was riding 23s for a while on my commuter. Went up to 25s when I bought a racing bike last winter. 28s are whole lot bigger than 25s.

With the fenders, I have some toe overlap in the front. That's taking a bit of getting used to. This is mostly a function of me riding with big clunky MTB sandals. If I switched shoes the overlap would probably go away entirely, or at least be greatly reduced.

It doesn't feel as fast as my old commuter but Garmin tells me that I'm going at the same speed.

Unrelated to the bike itself, I'm been trying to increase my RPM. I went to a seminar a while ago that recommended having a cruising cadence of 92 RPM. Unsurprisingly, I don't get down to my 11 very often anymore.

Also unrelated, my wife started telecommuting so now I no longer have to driver her to work. I found a nice 10.5 mile route to work that is pretty anti-stressful. The only downside is that the old route was really easy to extend on a nice day if I found myself with extra time in the morning. The new one, not so much. Well, it's easy to extend on roads that have mostly bike friendly motor traffic but those roads are in desperate need of repair. They're bad enough that I won't ride them and I'll ride over almost any road.

< A quick plug | Happy Death Day >
Everyone needs some good covfefe every now and then | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Potato quality picture by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 10:47:38 AM EST
I demand higher resolution bike pr0n. Got any lights on there?

Fenders and disc brakes are the bomb. I won't ride in rain without fenders, but I sadly have no road bikes yet with both disc brakes and clearance for fenders. Congrats on moving up, looks like a nice ride.

I'm so glad to see bikes supporting wider tires again - one thing to thank the gravel bike promoters for, and I hope it is a long term trend. The racing bike fad where you could barely squeeze a 25mm onto most road bikes was dumb.

Addenda by marvin (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 10:51:45 AM EST
Fenders and a rack add a surprising amount of weight, and wider tires contribute too. Worth every (kilo)gram on a commuter though. I took all the accessories off my own frankenbike/ monstercross last year for some races and was amazed at how light my old steel frame was without it.

And more by marvin (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 10:59:53 AM EST
When I built my bike, the weight of my bare 1980s steel frame and fork was surprisingly low. I doubt you gained even a pound of weight savings on the bare frame and fork, and likely less. Good quality steel frames are so much lighter than the box store BSOs. The larger tubing diameter for Al frames erases a fair chunk of the difference in raw material weight, as does the fancy design such as curved stays. All of those aluminum bends and any non-cylindrical tubing requires a greater wall thickness than a double butted straight steel tube.

Yeah, I think larger tubing is the main culprit by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 03:58:39 PM EST
I don't really care about weight for my commuter.

Most of the tris I've done have been on flat courses so weight hasn't really mattered then.

I'm hoping to do Savage Man next year which has 5k feet of climbing over 50 miles. Weight would be a large factor with that.

Cicero, The Republic
A section with 31% grade? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 07:37:44 PM EST
You're one sick mofo :)

That type of masochism should see you institutionalized, but that could be said of most triathletes.

Are you planning to strip the bike for the race? IIRC, you had bought better wheels for your last bike, but they're probably not disc ready, are they? It sounds like 25mm is widely considered faster than 23mm now, so hopefully those bastardly skinny tires are going the way of the dodo.

I could stand to lose another 5kg to make climbing easier, and should get it done if I do the Axel Merckx Granfondo with a friend in 2018. That's got around the same elevation change as yours, just spread over twice the distance.

No book of faces. I've held off long enough now that it would be silly to join. Plus I have no desire to see the stuff my mom posts.

This is my commuter by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Oct 23, 2017 at 10:16:28 PM EST
I bought a carbon racing bike last winter. No more stripping bikes before races for me.

Cicero, The Republic
Why aerobars by marvin (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Oct 24, 2017 at 10:02:10 PM EST
Do you have empty dedicated paths for most of your ride? Aerobars are insane in traffic and around pedestrians.

They're comfy and you go faster by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 06:11:00 AM EST
I ride them about 50% to 60% of the time. Outside the first and last mile of my commute, I have about 8 miles with 4 stop lights. My work and home are both close to Rock Creek Park. It's not a dedicated path but it's appropriate to riding aero. During that section of my commute, I average over 20mph.

Cicero, The Republic
The Frankenbike has a rack, but no fenders by lm (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 03:56:27 PM EST
When I first bought it, it had 28s. When I bought new rims (Mavic Ksyrium) I went down to 23s. At that time it was my only endurance bike so I also did triathlons on it, taking off the rack, kickstand, etc before every race.

In the current configuration neither has lights. They'll be added soon as the northern hemisphere transitions to fall.

Cicero, The Republic
I like lights. by marvin (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 08:27:44 PM EST
While I dislike feeling like my use of lights and high-vis is a tacit acceptance of society's victim blaming towards cyclists, I don't like to give motorists any excuses to hit me either. Not that they need excuses under our legal system. The best and easiest way to commit a murder in North America is to run over your target when they are riding a bike.

Daytime running lights have been mandatory on cars in canuckistan for over 20 years. If drivers can routinely fail to see an entire car in daylight, there is no such thing as being too noticable.

My helmet has built i lights by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 06:12:43 AM EST
Lights on my bike get stolen frequently. I've yet to find one that has a decent bracket that allows for easy removal that will last more than one season.

Cicero, The Republic
Are you on the book of faces? by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Oct 22, 2017 at 04:08:30 PM EST
That has the large version of the pic.

HuSi is funny. Large pics tend to page widen.

Cicero, The Republic