Print Story Nostalgia
Music
By hulver (Thu Jan 19, 2017 at 06:21:38 AM EST) (all tags)
It's not what it used to be.

I've finally given in to the idea that I'm not actually going to be getting a new PC anytime soon, due to having more important things to spend money on.

So I stuck my old laptop drive into an external enclosure and finished copying all my music library over to the external hard disk that's connected to my "working at home" PC.

That previously had a copy of all the music that was on my phone, which was a fairly large portion of the complete library, but was missing a few essential items.

Now I'm back up to full speed, so to speak, I've been listening to some stuff that I've not heard for a while.

5 years ago I got an album called "away" from "cloxco". Been listening to that a bit. Only 5 years ago, it feels like it should be longer, almost another world.

I was going to write more, but now I'm not. I'm instead going to post this, instead of just closing the window like I usually do.

How are you doing?

< Body dysmorphia... | My bones have started glowing >
Nostalgia | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Thanks for the reminder. by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jan 19, 2017 at 06:58:09 AM EST
I have a couple days of no-carpool commute, so I've queued up cloxco.

And I probably should write a diary sometime soon. It's good to hear from you.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Eh, I'm OK by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jan 19, 2017 at 08:05:04 AM EST
New job, shorter commute, same money.

Been warm enough this January that I've been able to get some riding in. About 50 miles/week.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Working on the weekends! by me0w (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Jan 19, 2017 at 09:55:17 AM EST
Paid a lawyer a bunch of money to get my divorce application going. I should have been a lawyer.

I hope it goes by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Jan 22, 2017 at 10:56:22 AM EST
as well as these things can.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I don't think there will be too many problems ... by me0w (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Jan 22, 2017 at 05:07:18 PM EST
Besides, I can't afford the $25k retainer if it needs to go to court.

Wait whut? by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jan 23, 2017 at 01:59:13 PM EST
I mean I know it's CANADIAN money and all but $25k retainer?!? OMGWTFBBQ!

Your standard middle class USian might charge 10k retainer.

That's what he charges ... by me0w (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Jan 23, 2017 at 06:00:07 PM EST
I paid a $2500 retainer for basic divorce proceedings - pretty much just filing the documents. I was told that if it needed to go to court that the retainer is $25K ... and that is cheaper than what most lawyers charge.

In a way by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jan 24, 2017 at 12:05:04 PM EST
that makes sense, as the cost will really make you reconsider not settling.

In Canada, is court just for property settlement or does it include custody issues? (I know that custody wasn't at stake for you.)

Court by me0w (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Jan 24, 2017 at 12:33:15 PM EST
It's for property, custody and support.

A little more stressed than usual by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Jan 19, 2017 at 10:11:04 AM EST
Finances are tighter than they should be, partially because I'm waiting for reimbursements from business trips in December and last week.

There's a slight chance of a trip to El Salvador. The crime problem is so bad there that the corporation I contract to discourages direct employees from going there, but I'm a contact, no problem!

My cow-orker has headed home for about three weeks, nearly doubling my work load.

Twenty year old is returning to uni Monday, so in the next few days I need to learn how to fix iastora.sys issues on a Windows 10 laptop, and maybe learn to read crash dumps on Windows 10, to make sure it's really Intel that's the problem.

No real complaints by clock (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jan 19, 2017 at 05:24:02 PM EST
Things have been pretty good. Busy. The kids are nuts and the job is a ton of work. The wife is perfect.

Yeah. Not enough music, but other than that...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

and then Saturday morning hit by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jan 23, 2017 at 10:31:02 AM EST
and there went the perfect wife!  HA!!!

Still perfect by clock (4.00 / 2) #18 Mon Jan 23, 2017 at 06:14:19 PM EST
Always.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

No valid complaints by jimgon (4.00 / 3) #6 Thu Jan 19, 2017 at 07:09:29 PM EST
I'm remarkably middle aged, middle class and white.  More than I ever imagined possible.

---------------
Starting my own company by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Jan 19, 2017 at 09:11:59 PM EST
Other than that, um, keeping the kids alive seems to be the priority. And I was stupid enough to agree to choreograph a production of Spamalot.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

hulver! by miserere (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 06:36:47 AM EST
The black dog of January is nipping at me a bit more insistently than usual. But I have good friends, a loving partner, and an excellent therapist, so I know it will get better.

I want to plan a trip to England -- I'm not sure for when -- but hopefully I/we will be able to make it to the north. I would love to see you and your lovely wife!

Ooo, look forward to it by hulver (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Jan 22, 2017 at 10:58:18 AM EST
Let us know dates and things.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Hi by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 10:50:23 AM EST
Other than the jorb situation, LO is doing spectacularly - she loves school, she went through sorority rush last week (and ended up joining the nerdy but fun and chill one) and she is happy.

Me? There's stasis to be broken through on many levels. Here's hoping I can do it.

D's burning. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 07:52:50 PM EST
But I have a new job

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Which one? by hulver (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Jan 22, 2017 at 10:58:48 AM EST
Weren't you after a few? You should write another diary. :-)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Failing by Herring (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jan 24, 2017 at 04:18:13 PM EST
Still haven't got out on the bike. It's been cold. And wet. And ... stuff.

If I got up at 5:00am, I could do an 45 minutes on the rollers, get cleaned up and get off to work. But that's not going to happen. If my next contract is in That London, well I hate the tube at rush hour and it's only 17 (flat) miles to The City from here.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Away by Herring (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Jan 24, 2017 at 04:22:10 PM EST
I played some of that in the car the other day. Mrs. H. was all "Who's this? I like it". So I burned her a CD

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Not bad. by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #23 Thu Jan 26, 2017 at 09:39:55 AM EST
Waking up, listening to the news, thinking what fresh hell is this, going to the office, steering the crazy stuff, trying not to let the burnt out drag me down, periodically being tortured by a pilates teachers, and finally getting around to reading a bit more in the evenings after a  nearly 4 year hiatus.

Nostalgia | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback