This year, LO rambled in from where ever she was (at a girlfriend's) last night at about the time I woke up. She's still sleeping.
After the tumult of last year, and finally sending LO off to where she needs to be and me getting stable again, I can say that I'm itchy for change. Which is good. I need to be itchy. Itchy makes me grow.
Many thanks for the advice for LO on her chem class. She took your collective advice to heart and stuck it out. As it turns out, the second part of class was easier for her (as she learned to work for it) and she ended up with a B for the class (it was curved, but we'll take it)...and all As for her other classes. Who knew that frequenting the 18+ and over bar would increase the GPA?
This next semester starts early, she's leaving home in a few days to go thru (southern) sorority rush (that should be interesting). She has most of her same classes as first semester, but she has to take english this semester so if she can keep that GPA up or close, she'll be golden.
Other than academics, LO has been doing well. She's a applying for a classroom experience/fieldwork internship in Ecuador this summer. As it turns out, she wants to be a scientist. If she doesn't get that, then she'll apply to summer sleepaway camps (as they will employ her being 19 with some college) to work as a counselor.
LO finally told me what happened over thanksgiving break. She broke up with fucky mcfuckface (the kid going to delaware) but he keeps on texting her. She's been working some frat boys at school and there's one freshman who is also an Italian (but grew up in Louisiana) who she likes but he is trying to date two girls at the same time and LO is having none of that. She told him to come back when he's ready. Good girl.
The one piece of family gossip is that the 4th or 5th nanny my brother and sister in law has employed, quit on them and opted to go back working in a daycare. My brother and sister in law are pissy at my parents yet again. I heard one half of the story at the cousins only party and then the other half from my parents, which concluded with "they wanted us to watch the youngest for a number of days." My parents said no because of my Mom's fatigue. So my brother and family were a no-show at Christmas Eve and Christmas. My sister came over for Christmas Eve and stayed at my brother's for Christmas. But here we are with my sister in law saying things to others...when there's more to the story...
All of this would be more amusing if it didn't involve my nieces and nephew.
The only other thing of note is that my sister is getting a hard look at the interpersonal dynamics up close.
Work is...what it is.
The founder likes me and is now running projects on my say so, "because the guys won't listen unless I help." As an example, we've gotten X more downloads since my new Web site redesign went live. Or, the fact that many more of our pages rank in Google because of the Web redesign. Or, the (amusing to me) example is the chart of new visitors to the company Web site since I was hired, which shows unmistakable spikes...it's not all because of me directly, but I like to refer to it in meetings these days.
I'm a woman wielding soft power. It's delicious.
In other news...
- Bought those programmable Xmas lights and they have provided me with much amusement, even tho the app sucks.
- Just before Thanksgiving I had a date with a German dude who relocated to the US. He was quitting his corporate job (um failing out) and wanting to open his own car repair shop. If the stereotypes weren't enough, he said that American education was terrible because "all people are different." He wasn't referring to differently skilled, oh no, he meant different intelligence.
- I had a Seinfeldian date and second date with a sweet Jewish guy not long after that other date because of course I did. Nice guy, I even invited him to my place after he suggested a second date (as he was having his kids that weekend). And, he said he couldn't see me again while he was having an anxiety attack. If I was only joking...
- 2016 also brought me two guys who wanted to date me who live in my immediate neighborhood...one guy who was described as a "real mensch" who was long separated but had some story about him. I blew him off as he was separated and something was off, but a few months ago read his obit with his backstory, his real age, his wife, and his kids after he died in an accident after his antique plane caught on fire.
- Then there's the state administrative judge who I went on one date with, blew off after the date, and he continues to try to talk to me. What makes this worse is that I tend to run into him on the train home after a late night in Philly.
In 2016, I cut a few people (who needed it) out of my life. Sometimes trees need to be pruned. It's all good.
What did you learn?
|< I find that answer vague and unconvincing | Bonus Christmas #1 >|