Print Story Ask HuSi: Starting out with Tarot...
I've decided to branch out from my materialistic philosophy, into the arcane world of the Tarot.

I wonder if any other Husi readers have any experience with it? Specifically, is it wack or is it good? I am very much on the fence.

I've decided to start out with a Rider-Waite deck, although I was also tempted to go the Thoth route, but the Crowley connection doesn't sit well with me for some reason, probably connected with what went down at Boleskine.

I also ordered a book on Jungian symbolism, which I feel may hold the key to deeper understanding.

As I get older and reflect, the more I seem to resonate with the ideas found in the Kybalion. I know I have some mystic ancestry being descended from gypsy royalty and something seems to be calling me to investigate this stuff further. On the other hand, I am a massive skeptic and think a lot of this mystic stuff is basically bullshit. I have to admit to being conflicted.

So the questions are:  am I wasting my time? and if not, is the Rider Waite deck a good place to start? Has anyone had any good tarot experiences? Any good book recommendations? Should I take a course?

< Operation Muhahahaha | The first is death in Texas >
Ask HuSi: Starting out with Tarot... | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
$cientology by marvin (4.00 / 3) #1 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 01:16:45 AM EST
L.Ron Hubbard invented it just for people like you. Forget tarot, sea org will answer all of your questions at a price you will be happy to pay.

That organization by gmd (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 06:33:22 AM EST
 Seems a little controversial

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Since when by marvin (4.00 / 5) #5 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 09:26:35 AM EST
Were you one to shy away from controversy? Like a moth to the flame, if anything

I've heard by kwsNI (4.00 / 3) #3 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 06:35:46 AM EST
You can read anyone's future by disemboweling them and reading their entrails.

Indeed by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 09:59:13 AM EST
 .. the entrails of everyone I disemboweled predicted that they would die violently and they would not have a long life

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
It's nearly foolproof by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 11:48:21 AM EST
In fact, if you perform the procedure and they come back later claiming you're wrong, give them their money back and walk away slowly.

I used to Tarot by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 09:20:20 AM EST
it was more than 20 years ago (egads, how I hate saying things like that).  I never got past the Rider-Waite mini deck, as that seemed to serve my purposes.  It never amounted to more than a fun party trick, but we were all in our late teens and not in to introspection much;

a lot of people shy away from decks, by the mariner (4.00 / 3) #6 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 09:32:23 AM EST
worried about the inventory management, randomness, and the general finickiness of ally play. for my money, though, if you care about your winrate, you need to take nemelex on pretty much every combo if an altar appears unless you've already got another god.

Old Steven Wright joke by wumpus (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 11:33:34 AM EST
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."- Steven Wright

Wumpus

Urrrr by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 10:31:16 AM EST
I can't comment on Tarot decks. I have one, I use it for D&D sometimes. I don't know what kind it is.

Are you wasting your time?  I don't know.  Seeking spirituality isn't a bad thing.

However, I don't believe in predestination or that the universe is talking to you via pictures on cards.

So is this a waste of time....well a journey to expand yourself a bit more spiritually isn't, but messing around with pretend-magic probably is.

Hmm by gmd (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 11:33:42 AM EST
I don't believe in predestination either, however I do believe that the universe is at some level a sentient thinking entity and may try to communicate with us in various ways. I don't plan to dedicate my life to this, but I am somewhat interested.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
The Universe does communicate with you by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #12 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 11:56:36 AM EST
 But its methods of communication are much more direct.

When it want's to tell you your life is over it sends something like cancer or a motor vehicle to inform you.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
There's that materialism I was talking about by gmd (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Oct 21, 2016 at 07:23:04 AM EST
 Is it over if you get hit by a car? Some think not. Depends if you think conciousness is a product of the brain or not. It could be something non local for which the brain acts as a reciever. The jury is out on this.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Answers to question marks. by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 04:51:56 PM EST
I wonder if any other Husi readers have any experience with it?

Yes, many do, I think. Some do for sure.

Specifically, is it wack or is it good?

If it wasn't wack it wouldn't be any good.

am I wasting my time?

Yes, definitely—but in a cosmic sense. So you might as well have fun with it. If tarot sounds like fun give it a go.

is the Rider Waite deck a good place to start?

I would go Thoth, but I think Crowley had style.

Any good book recommendations?

Neuromancer by William Gibson. Although this is a good book, it's not a relevant recommendation. I do have one of those, but it would give away too much. I'm sure you can find it, though.

Should I take a course?

Yes. But not on tarot. Unless you want to.

Chill out, snowflake.

I my experience by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 30, 2016 at 03:47:37 PM EST
Some of the decks are really cool looking.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
My tarot experience ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Sep 30, 2016 at 06:13:54 PM EST
... consists entirely of playing Tarock with some friends in my first attempt at college.

Cicero, The Republic
Tarot by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #16 Sat Oct 01, 2016 at 05:58:11 PM EST
Been a long time since I read Tarot.  I was fond of a Norse deck that has some very nice pastel drawings.  If you go into it as a way to tap into some subconscious thinking, then it's fine.  I found it relaxing and it allowed me to think about things in an indirect way.  These days I mainly go for a walk to clear my head.

---------------
remember misstrish? by misslake (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Oct 18, 2016 at 08:44:47 AM EST
this is totally her thing. she can answer your questions, she even gives courses.