Print Story There are no permanent enemies or comrades, only permanent duty
By TheophileEscargot (Sun Aug 07, 2016 at 12:02:00 PM EST) Reading, MLP, Watching (all tags)
Reading: "The Dark Forest. Watching: "Jupiter Ascending". Links.

What I'm Reading
The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. Sequel to the science fiction novel "The Three Body Problem" and second in a planned trilogy.

This one was a bit slow starting, was getting tempted to put it aside, but things kick up a gear as the alien incursion approaches. Turns into a bit of a classic of hard science fiction, with great ideas, original angles and things thoroughly thought through. Has a few of the weaknesses of the genre like somewhat schematic characters and not terribly convincing public moods.

But overall: well-executed, creative, essential reading if you like the genre.

NB: The blurb I saw gives a way a lot of the plot, might be worth avoiding.

What I'm Watching
Jupiter Ascending. Very silly space opera epic from the Wachowski brothers. Bit too long and doesn't quite manage to be tongue in cheek enough to be a camp classic. Action sequences get a bit repetitive despite the lush CGI. Overall: very mildly entertaining.

Also: anti-gravity boots still look stupid despite modern CGI.

Me
Very busy. Team at work has gone from three developers to just me with holidays and reassignments. Also I have to take on a new system I haven't touched before, and handle a few queries from support since no-one else is around.

Toddler was sick for a few days and is behaving pretty badly. Taking away his toys used to work, but he seems to have got used it: gave him about half a dozen back this morning.

Links
Socioeconomics. CEOs look different, more-CEO-looking ones don't perform better. Minimum wage rises leak away. Will a higher minimum wage *reduce* automation? Work as subordination.

Sci/Tech. The End of Ego-Depletion Theory? Dolly's clones aging normally. Inside a fast font renderer.

Local. The Karl Marx pub crawl. Isle of Wight Tube trains.

Pics. Godzilla size.

Articles. The Evolution of an Accidental Meme. Excitement, hatred and belonging: why terrorists do it.

Politics. Stop blaming the old and the ignorant for Brexit.

Language. 35 Classy Slang Terms for Naughty Bits from the Past 600 Years. Tudor and Stewart gendered insults.

< Meta-literature | Stuff >
There are no permanent enemies or comrades, only permanent duty | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden)
Anti-Gravity Boots by priestess (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 05:00:07 AM EST
Sound hard to balance in to me, I imagine if such things existed they would usually result in hanging upside down dangling from your floating footwear, being glad you strapped yourself in well enough that you didn't fall out of them and watch them float into outer-space as you banged your head upon landing.

Pre.........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

I'd expect them to calibrate for that by lm (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 07:17:00 AM EST
Assuming that computer tech keeps pace with increases in gravity control tech.

Cicero, The Republic
So... by ana (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 08:17:03 AM EST
 The boots would be vertical. Presumably they come up above the ankle, like, say, ski boots. So you also need to wear knee braces so you don't flop over backwards? Also a typical ski injury is breaking leg bones at the top of the rigid ski boots.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

I gather so by Herring (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 03:11:29 PM EST
This is why my old snowboarding buddy vowed never to wear hard ski boots again. You can injure yourself differently strapped to a snowboard.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

What if the boots are mostly just the UI? by lm (4.00 / 4) #10 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 06:41:22 PM EST
I think most of the conjecture is presuming that the boots are what floats rather than the boots generating some sort of anti-gravity field that is applied to the center mass of the person wearing the boots.

My guess would be that the boots may be the field generator and the user interface but don't actually support the mass of the wearer. Rather they negate and increase the mass of the wearer depending on the movement of the wearer's feet.

Cicero, The Republic
why wouldn't you just float? by bobdole (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 11:32:46 AM EST
For you to generate upwards momentum (i.e. flip you) they would need to be more than anti-gravity, then would have to be acceleration boots.

However, I can foresee plenty other problems :-).
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Lateral friction by ana (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 12:33:31 PM EST
It's important, yo. That's why it's hard to walk, or even stand up, on smooth ice. And unless there's something going on beyond simple anti-gravity, these boots ain't made for walking. Or even standing up for very long.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

In the movie by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 01:30:09 PM EST
He sometimes sort of surfs with them, and sometimes pedals frantically on the wire in mid-air as if running. Neither way looks very good.
Evidently, bad UI design [en tea] by lm (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 06:37:53 PM EST

Cicero, The Republic
What about Stranger Things? by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 09:36:18 AM EST
From Netflix, it's all abuzz in the states, with it's retro horror feel.

So far, it's been good, we are five episodes in.

Really liking it by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Aug 09, 2016 at 01:38:06 PM EST
It gets the eighties completely right without falling into camp.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Other than some of the flashlights/bike lights by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Aug 09, 2016 at 04:11:37 PM EST
and the Rabbit.

It's in my queue by lm (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Aug 09, 2016 at 09:00:47 PM EST
Not going to watch it until I my new hearing aids come in. (The previously current set fell out of my day bag while I was cycling to work.)

But for the eighties done right, thus far nothing I've seen surpasses The Americans.

Cicero, The Republic
We just finished it, it was good by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Aug 11, 2016 at 10:34:42 AM EST
Finding out that Rosebud was the kid's prized bike was a huge shocker, and made me want to rewatch all the episodes again.

I loved it by theboz (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Aug 13, 2016 at 07:31:19 PM EST
It reminded me so much of the horror movies my friends and I used to rent when I was a kid.  I'm still struggling how to describe it -- a mix between E.T., the Goonies, Aliens, and It?
- - - - -
I'd throw some Close Encounters in there by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Aug 15, 2016 at 09:59:37 AM EST
and even some Stand by Me. Maybe even Carrie, if you want another King influence.

For sure by theboz (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Aug 15, 2016 at 10:43:52 PM EST
Stand By Me in particular seems to be very similar but I see the others as well.  The alleyway fight reminded me some of They Live, which is one of my favorite "bad" horror movies.
- - - - -