Print Story Woof
By yankeehack (Sat Aug 20, 2016 at 03:12:15 PM EST) (all tags)
On watching a new college freshman get outed in real time...

Two of the things I'm really happy about the school LO will be attending is the storied history of women's education and advocacy of LGBTQA students. Not too long ago, the school integrated and later merged with a coordinate women's college, much like my alma mater. These days, undergraduate enrollment is held at 48% women and 41% men.

The student body is pulled from all corners of the US (mostly Northeast, Chicago, and Los Angeles with some in-state scholar types) and is liberal in some ways and not so liberal in others.

With that background in mind, and considering how parents are these days, I should mention the insane parents group on FB. Since I've been not working this summer, my main enjoyment has been reading the threads which appear on the group. Everything from moving in logistics to where to eat and stay in town to the parents who are pissed their snowflakes have been put into a triple.

It's the week of early move in for some students, so the FB group has been extra busy.

Cue the group thread where a Mom just moved their kid into one of the smaller dorms and where the bathroom on the kid's floor is an "All gender restroom." Mind you, the way housing is set up, gender inclusive housing is opt-in. Mom doesn't know why kid's floor has this bathroom and there are single sex bathrooms on other floors. Oh and Mom couched the question as "What if my kid gets attacked by a guy who isn't transgender because he was allowed to use the bathroom?"

So, yeah.

< It's Eggnog Season | Ice Cube comes out for Trump >
Woof | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
my dad has the same questions by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Aug 20, 2016 at 04:51:21 PM EST
because that is what the media he watches tells him is THE concern.  he is completely up in arms over it, having no concept that just walking to your car at night is more dangerous.

Apparently so by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Aug 20, 2016 at 05:18:29 PM EST
Fox news, man...
Reading that literally... by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Aug 20, 2016 at 04:56:34 PM EST
That's exactly the problem: guys who are not transgendered being allowed to use the bathroom.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

And that Mom by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Aug 20, 2016 at 05:33:50 PM EST
meant it literally...

It hasn't been clarified in the thread yet if the floor is indeed gender inclusive. To protect the students that want/need gender inclusive housing, you would think there would be a specific rule about a bathroom being open to residents and guests of that floor only.

I asked LO and she said there was a separate application to gender inclusive housing (you had to write an essay as to why you wanted to be there).

There's always the possibility the kid in question was assigned to the floor accidentally...or maybe not.

A tale... by ana (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Aug 20, 2016 at 06:16:44 PM EST
When I was in college, two friends of mine and I roomed in what once was an RA apartment, with 2 rooms and a private bath (tub only; great for a keg). It was on a fairly isolated little hallway on the ground floor (oddly enough the floors that connect in that building are 3 and above, what with a cafeteria on the second floor). Anyway, while the building was co-ed and most floors were, our little hallway with 4 rooms was all male.

Well, except that one of the guys arranged an unofficial roommate swap which resulted in a woman living with him on our hallway, which had only a mens' bathroom (one shower). Either confused about gender identity or literacy skills, she of course used the bathroom nearest to her room, often with her roommate. Otherwise we would wait in line in the larger bathroom for a turn in the shower, but... uh... no, not while she (or they) were using it.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

It works out by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Aug 20, 2016 at 09:50:29 PM EST
Hell, I lived in all female dorms for 4 years and had men basically living next to me (as they were boyfriends camping out at their girlfriends). Yes, there were times I walked into the shower only to see hairy feet at the next stall.

If only their parents knew.

The had hobbits for boyfriends? <no eNTs> by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Aug 21, 2016 at 05:29:26 PM EST
I could have sworn I wrote this before with a pipeweed comment.

Wumpus

when i lived on campus by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Aug 21, 2016 at 02:57:49 PM EST
twenty five years ago (!!):

the default state for my college was mixed-gender floors with mixed-gender bathrooms. you could request a gender-segregated floor/bathroom, but as far as i know (a) the only gender-segregated floors and bathrooms were women-only, and (b) they amounted to less than 10% of the population.

showers were single-user stalls. toilets were single-user stalls.

it was never a problem.

You kids get off my lawn. by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Aug 21, 2016 at 03:08:13 PM EST
I graduated college 40 years ago May.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

didn't you go to the academy ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Aug 24, 2016 at 09:50:29 PM EST
(or just served in the navy ? )

One of my Navy colleagues... by ana (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Aug 26, 2016 at 05:09:56 PM EST
when asked that question, would answer, "No, I went to high school."  Anapolis is a great jock school with decent engineering. No, I went to an actual university, with civilians and everything.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

When I was in college by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Aug 21, 2016 at 07:51:03 PM EST
Thirty years ago, we had the extra special "apartments", which was four guys with two bedrooms and a bathroom in a mixed-gender floor.  There was of course rarely a time where there wasn't at least one woman sleeping over.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That's how GMU was when I was there by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Aug 22, 2016 at 07:58:27 AM EST
And we had guys sleeping in the women's rooms, and shared showers, and it's a miracle I got out of there without any kids. That I know of.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

First time I'd heard of the "QA" part. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 22, 2016 at 07:59:21 AM EST
Had to look it up.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The more you know. by ana (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Aug 22, 2016 at 09:37:05 AM EST
is there an NT in there someplace?

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

That abbreviation by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Aug 22, 2016 at 09:52:08 AM EST
..just keeps getting longer

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
LGBTT2QQIIAAP by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Aug 22, 2016 at 11:50:11 AM EST
"Damn, the cat sat on the keyboard again."

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Gene Robinson by ana (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Aug 22, 2016 at 01:22:45 PM EST
famously the first out gay bishop in the Anglican communion, asked once in my hearing where straight people's letters are. Surely they're not really all the same?

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

what's the deal with separate bathrooms? by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Aug 23, 2016 at 10:21:22 AM EST
every bathroom that's used by people in their teens or twenties is going to be used to have sex. at least in college bathrooms they've got showers so it's happening in an appropriate venue.

fifteen fuckin' years ago i went to some fancy ass college and two of those years the floor agreed to mixed sex bathrooms. sure, i walked in on people fucking a couple times but you know what? at least they weren't doing it in the damn stalls. that's some scarface shit smh

That poor kid by Noli nothis (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Aug 26, 2016 at 11:26:19 PM EST
 I wish them luck out from under Mom's thumb. I can imagine Tulane was chosen for more than academic reasons <cough>New Orleans</cough>

Woof | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback