Print Story It's Eggnog Season
Food
By Gedvondur (Fri Aug 19, 2016 at 10:34:49 AM EST) (all tags)
Aged eggnog, that is.

Made this last night, thought I'd share.  Anybody else age their eggnog?  I'm normally not a fan of eggnog at all, but everyone says this is awesome.

Aged Eggnog
Scaled up recipe from reddit user /u/SHv2

Ingredients

48 Egg yolks (I have 2 quarts of egg whites in my fridge if someone wants them :P)
1 gallon of whole milk
1 quart of heavy cream
7 cups of white sugar
4 liters of bourbon (no, Jack Daniels is not Bourbon)
1 quart of Brandy
2 cups of Myers's Dark Rum (or any dark rum. No spiced!)
Fresh ground nutmeg (I used about a teaspoon and a half)

Directions

•    Separate a shit-ton of yolks

•    Blend/whisk the yolks and about half the cream

•    Put the mixture in the aging vessel

•    Add the rest of the ingredients.

•    Stir

•    Let it age for three months

•    Do NOT try for at least three weeks

NOTES

The point of this recipe is that by aging the eggnog a few months, it mellows out a lot and gets delicious. 2-4 months is recommended. You can also scale the recipe down if you don’t want 3 gallons of the stuff.

I keep mine in the refrigerator.  With this much alcohol in it, that is probably unnecessary, but I’ve got the space.  Do not try the eggnog for at least three weeks. It will take that long for the alcohol to kill any nasty critters that may be in the raw egg yolks.  This stuff can be kept for at least a year. Here’s a link if you are really worried about those raw yolks.

If you are serving it, it is indicated that whipping egg whites and some more cream into soft peaks and folding it into the eggnog is a good idea, as this stuff is rocket fuel.  Also, make sure that you serve it over ice, to help dilute it.  You could also stretch it out with a bit of milk.  Now that being said, you don’t *have* to do that, it’s good just on ice too.

August 18, 2016 - First batch.  Used Jim Beam bourbon, instead of cognac (which seems a waste here) I used brandy (Korbel).  I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference, especially with four liters of Jim Beam in it. I also changed the above recipe.  Fuck cognac, I’ll drink that in a snifter. It’s wasted in this mess of eggs, cream and sugar.  I am ageing in a retired beer fermenter with an airlock, but the airlock is basically unnecessary, there will be no actual fermentation going on.   I saved the two empty handles of Jim Beam for Christmas distribution.

< Martha my dear | Woof >
It's Eggnog Season | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Egg whites freeze well by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Aug 19, 2016 at 10:42:29 AM EST
If you ever need to make a couple dozen angel food cakes.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Ya by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 19, 2016 at 10:45:38 AM EST
I am kind of out of freezer space, so I dumped them.  I feel bad about it, I'm going to do a better job of that next year.  There are a number of places I could have used them, but I wasn't careful and broke a few yolks and contaminated the whole works, so out it went.  I have to use a better procedure and plan on space to freeze and bag the whites next time.

Angel food cake is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

I may try that by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 19, 2016 at 08:38:18 PM EST
But first I need to try Mingus' recipe.

"Unsurprisingly, the recipe calls for enough alcohol to put down an elephant."

I bet that would also age well.

Cicero, The Republic
+1; Jack Daniels ain't Bourbon. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Aug 20, 2016 at 08:31:34 PM EST
-1; Ingesting Jim Beam Anything, for any reason.

I'm not a Jim Beam fan by lm (4.00 / 2) #5 Sun Aug 21, 2016 at 08:13:21 AM EST
But using it to make eggnog seems like a fitting use. Using a better bourbon would probably only marginally make it taste better unless you're shelling out for some really nice booze.

Cicero, The Republic
Ya, well by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Aug 21, 2016 at 04:24:39 PM EST
In this case, no real need to use the good stuff.  I just need burbon flavor and I figured Jim Beam was better than X-Brand on the bottom shelf.  Plus it's hard to beat $26.00 for a handle.

Heh by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Aug 21, 2016 at 04:25:29 PM EST
I feel the same way about Cutty Sark.

It's Eggnog Season | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback