Print Story Johnny coming to UK in July
By johnny (Mon Jun 27, 2016 at 08:00:25 PM EST) (all tags)
Quick, before the UK evaporates!

I'll be in Edinburgh, but only for a few days. I'm to give a talk at the SynbioBeta synthetic biology conference on July 7th (or 7 July, as they say over there in Europe, while it still exists.):

Here's a little podcast containing the kind of bullshit you might expect to hear from me were you to attend the conference:

I've never been to the UK. Which means I've never been to Scotland. Although my mother, grandmother, and virtually all of my relatives on my mother's side are (or were) Scots who emigrated to the USA after WW2. Despite my Swede-Finn surname, my predominant ancestry is Scottish. So this will be a (very abbreviated) kind of "roots tour" thing for me.

So since it's my first time to the UK and since I have a fond affection and ancestral connection to Scotland and since I'm a total anglophile you can be forgiven for thinking I might make a bit of a trip of it and at least see Edinburgh, Glasgow, my mother's home town not too far from Glasgow, and London.

But alas, for now, I can afford neither the money nor the time for such an extravagance. Besides, Dear Wife won't be coming with me on this trip. If I ever do assemble enough $$ to go on a proper visit, shell be with me. So this is just me going to Edinburgh, spending a few days there, then heading back home.

I'll be giving my talk at the University of Edinburgh on the afternoon of Thursday, July 7, and flying home to USA mid-day Sunday, July 10. I'll be lodging with an imaginary friend in Edinburgh.

If any of y'all British HuSians happen to be anywhere in the neighborhood on Thursday, Friday or Saturday evening, July 7,8,9,  I would dearly love to share a pint (or a wee dram) with you. This Husi family has meant so much to me over the last dozen & more years (All Hail Hulver). I would welcome the chance to meet you in the so-called real world.

< Brexit | Each day that came a little more hope was gone >
Johnny coming to UK in July | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Got your Visa sorted? by hulver (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Jun 28, 2016 at 04:16:06 AM EST
Don't tell immigration that you're being paid.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Shit, that reminds me. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jun 28, 2016 at 04:21:32 PM EST
I need to do an FoI to Border Force. I strongly suspect that as a man of a certain age, Johnny is immune from that. I think it's predominantly young women who get refused entry and into those shithole holding rooms.

can afford neither the money nor the time by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Jun 28, 2016 at 06:38:04 AM EST
I dunno, the way the British Rupee has been collapsing your Yankee Dollars might go a bit further.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Edinburghing by Oberon (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jun 28, 2016 at 10:51:20 AM EST
Would be great to see you again! I'll PM you nearer the time, but the evening of the 7th would definitely work for me.

How now, mad spirit?
I might be in Scotland for job interviews by then by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jun 28, 2016 at 04:22:52 PM EST
Firstly, I've got to get this application in by midnight. I'm done with England. This is the final straw.

What's wrong with England? by gmd (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 01, 2016 at 11:52:10 AM EST
People are queuing up in Calais to get here...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I don't have to justify my feelings to racists. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Jul 02, 2016 at 12:47:38 PM EST

So let me get this straight ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Jul 02, 2016 at 02:17:42 PM EST
... Johnny plans a trip to the UK and the UK leaves the EU.

Interesting.

Cicero, The Republic
I detect the sinister hand of Monty by Herring (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Jul 09, 2016 at 06:04:08 PM EST
Burns

Herring - Official HuSi diarist of the 2016 European Korfball Championship (October 22nd, Dordrecht, Netherlands)
Check your PMs! n/t by Oberon (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jul 07, 2016 at 07:56:53 AM EST