Print Story Not Just Because I'm Parentally Obligated...
Family
By atreides (Tue May 17, 2016 at 01:19:29 AM EST) (all tags)
...but it's also pretty good on its own for a fan made movie.

It's called Rain, it's a fan film about Storm of the X-Men, and "The Child" is played by the Despoina herself.

There are other things in the works for the Despoina. If she is willing, her school is looking to skip her over second grade and into third. Anyone here have their kid skipped a grade? Or been skipped a grade themselves? I'd totally like you opinion on what it was like for your child/you...

As for the Duchess, well, she's still in the doghouse for ripping off the back of a chair and throwing it at her sister. Did I mention she is freakishly strong for a five year old?

< I like the new (to me) car but missus is meh | Soft Kitty... >
Not Just Because I'm Parentally Obligated... | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Don't know in the US context... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue May 17, 2016 at 03:38:58 AM EST
but the tricky thing we've found with SD is when the hormones kick in - socially it's tricky if you're physically younger. Big changes in what people like to do and attitudes, driven by a change that hasn't arrived for you yet.

FWIW by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue May 17, 2016 at 08:09:59 AM EST
My mother skipped grades back in the day, and refused to let me. Not much talk of why, but there you have it.

Achievement based on month of birth? by marvin (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue May 17, 2016 at 08:56:47 AM EST
Just for the advantage in size and maturity, I recall reading that the oldest kids in a class (that would be those born in January here, ymmv) outperform those who are in the same grade but a few months younger.

Physical education and sports would be rougher especially if she ends up 18 months or more behind the oldest in her class.

And of course, kids suck and are bullies who prey upon the weak and those who are different.

Sweet. by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 17, 2016 at 09:41:49 AM EST
 I love the movie, and your kid really can act.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Also... by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 17, 2016 at 10:16:53 AM EST
My younger brother skipped a grade (2nd, i think). He's very smart, very silent, not so very unlike my other brother and my dad. People think I don't say much, but iGrrrl was amazed after the wedding to find that I'm the chatty one in my family.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

I skipped a couple grades by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue May 17, 2016 at 10:07:58 AM EST
Ended up completing highschool add 14 and had my first degree the week I turned 17. Wouldn't want it for my daughter. The social interactions can be extremely hard even if the educational challenges weren't. I'd find other ways to challenge her, personally. Feel free to hit me up if you want more details.

will no one come to the Duchess's defense? by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue May 17, 2016 at 07:32:53 PM EST
What was it that the older sister did first?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Unfortunately, the Duchess had already been pissy. by atreides (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed May 18, 2016 at 01:29:06 AM EST
She picked the original fight. That's why I sound like I have less sympathy for her. She has endured the consequence for her destructive fit, but this, combined with other issues, has kept her in a low level state of trouble ever since.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

focus on channeling that strength though by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu May 19, 2016 at 09:18:44 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
The trend is to not allow skipping grades by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu May 19, 2016 at 06:42:07 AM EST
Both in MD and OH, schools prefer to put kids in advanced classes rather than have them skip grades.

When in OH, I pushed the local schools to allow my girls to skip grades because they were flat out bored with the work they were doing.

When we moved to MD, boredom was not a problem.

Cicero, The Republic
skipping grades by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu May 19, 2016 at 08:32:03 AM EST
i know a few people who did it, and it was miserable for them socially in high school.  they wished they hadn't.

clock's mom skipped a grade or two, and she talks about how it totally wrecked her life because of the social issues.

does the school have a gifted program?  it's always easier to add additional challenges.

Part of the problem is that it's a charter school. by atreides (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri May 20, 2016 at 12:47:52 AM EST
Even the principal says that they are well geared to help students who are behind, but not well prepared to handle students who are far ahead. They don't have a gifted program. The teachers group students who are ahead together so they can work on more advanced stuff together. For really advanced cases, they will send a child to a higher grade classroom for certain subjects. In the Despoina's case, she enough in math to transition to something higher, and her reading is off their charts. If they put her in things for her levels, she would barely be in her classroom, which is a reason they're looking at bumping her up.

All that said, the social issues are the biggest reason people keep pointing out. So now I'm kind of torn. I don't want to hold her back, but I don't want her to be miserable because of social crap, either. Why does having a smart kid have to be so difficult?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Talk to the board of ed by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat May 21, 2016 at 12:38:27 PM EST
When my youngest was at an elementary school without a sufficient gifted program,  they bussed her to another school during part of the school day for math and reading classes.

With the school being a charter school that may not apply. And Texas likely has different rules than Ohio. So YMMV.

Cicero, The Republic
If Gov. Abbot had his way... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat May 21, 2016 at 05:53:52 PM EST
...he'd probably abolish all schools except for religious schools (that specifically teach religion) and private schools (for people with money).

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Are the schools that closely controlled by ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat May 21, 2016 at 07:58:43 PM EST
... the state?

In Ohio, that sort of thing was mostly up to individual school districts.

Cicero, The Republic
Perspective of kid who wasn't allowed to skip by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri May 20, 2016 at 04:48:17 AM EST
It was the best decision my parents made for me.

I would suggest if she doesn't know the option is on the table, don't let her know that the option was on the table unless you decide to have her skip a grade.

I had a bit of a chip on my shoulder because of it.

Particularly since I was a late August birthday, so my parents also started me late.

And even with that I was bullied quite a bit in school (which looking back at it is kind of hilarious, because in general I was bigger, and had a older brother who was often quite rough with me too, so anyone that bullied me, whether they were my age or a few grades above me, lost, and sometimes lost real bad (which looking back at it I kinda feel bad about in a few cases).

It most likely would have been much worse if I was pushed forward a grade.

As to not having advanced classes, I wouldn't worry about it to much at the grammar school level, but I would try my best to make sure that she gets into a good high school that does have those options. As that's usually where you are going to see the biggest difference.

The small funding challenged catholic school I went to for most of grade school (I believe costs tuition was around late 80's early 90's it was $300 or $400 a year for the first child going down greatly with additional children in the family, so we're not talking about an exclusive or expensive private school), did not have a reputation for good math and science, and in general was very average in regards to it's classes. On the other hand, that didn't prevent the kids from my year doing exceedingly well later in high school and later in life. Granted almost all of us then went on to some very very good high schools in the area. We had a good foundation of the basics, and were able to capitalize on that (out of the 40 kids in my grade, I know of 7 or 8 of us that went on to be national merit scholars in high school, and there's a few that I lost track of that I'm sure did as well). So even with a curriculum that only covers the basics, and no advanced classes, if there's a good foundation, later she will still learn.

The one thing I would stress if you don't have her skip a grade, is to make sure she has good study habits. Even if the school work doesn't require doing any studying, and minimal effort to get A's on tests and homework. That's the one thing that I know my friends and I had the most difficult time adjusting to that later in life, particularly in college.

oh yeah by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue May 24, 2016 at 09:50:40 PM EST
I breezed through k-12, and was slapped down really hard my first year in college since I had never actually studied before in my life.  I did eventually figure it out, but my freshman year did permanently damage my GPA as a result.

I do remember... by ana (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed May 25, 2016 at 09:39:45 AM EST
what a rude awakening it was that first year in college, figuring out that I actually had to [a] do my homework, and [b] it was going to be hard.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch