Print Story Anything is better
By imrdkl (Sun May 15, 2016 at 05:00:01 PM EST) (all tags)
Than studying to renew certs

Tomorrow I'm going fishing, if the wind settles down a bit.  Partner's dad owns the boat, and doesn't enjoy anything much over 8m/s, but it's forecast at 7m/s, so hopefully it's on.  Even at that speed, drifting is practically trolling (so to speak), so there's not a lot of time to get your line stretched, if you're steering the boat.  He's not the doting grandfather type, but if cod are to be had, then he'll be happy - even if he doesn't catch them.  Cod are always good to catch.

My cisco certs are about to go out, I have pass at least one new 300 level exam to renew them.  Switch work and relatively simple OSFP comprises the majority of my network duties, so I really dont care to learn all of BGP again thanks.  300-206 looks promising.  Even though its a new cert for me, I still find myself bouncing over to Netflix/HBO at the slightest whim, not to mention my fave golf site.   Gotta stay focused, relearning BGP and the new requirements for IPV6 would probably kick my ass.

Norwegians have tomorrow and Tuesday off, mostly.  Tuesday is their independence day.

< On the road again | I like the new (to me) car but missus is meh >
Anything is better | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by ana (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun May 15, 2016 at 05:33:43 PM EST
 Ardbeg. Got it on sale yesterday.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Scotch on sale by imrdkl (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun May 15, 2016 at 06:05:26 PM EST
Three little words.  One big happiness.

That's a really hard question by Herring (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon May 16, 2016 at 06:00:40 AM EST
My Dad managed to acquire a bottle of Port Ellen (distillery closed in the 1980s) and that was nice. Also my mum got a bottle of Ardbeg 17yo that was very nice - but is also pretty pricey.

There's a Laphroaig quarter-cask that is nice - a lot less phenolic than the standard. For something sweeter, a Highland Park is nice.

At Christmas, we had a taste-off at my sisters comparing 8 different malts. I cannot remember which was the favourite though.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Had never even heard of Port Ellen by imrdkl (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue May 17, 2016 at 10:45:31 AM EST
I think I'll try some Ardbeg this summer, at least the lo-range stuff is in my price range.

Back when I drank by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon May 16, 2016 at 09:37:40 AM EST
Whatever bourbon was on sale, or possibly a locally produced, small batch, sold in mason jars corn liquor.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It took a long time, but by imrdkl (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon May 16, 2016 at 05:01:49 PM EST
I finally developed a taste for something other than Jim Beam.

I would tend to think by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon May 16, 2016 at 06:03:53 PM EST
that moonshine is a little harder to find these days in NoVA than in wiredog's drinking days. Or not (they busted a still within sight of a suburban shopping mall not that many years ago). Also expect the safety of such to be somewhere between Jim Beam and crack.

Wumpus

Shine is still popular in DCia by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 17, 2016 at 06:39:56 AM EST
Heck, West Virginia is only an hour and a half away.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Is there enough profit in moonshine by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #8 Tue May 17, 2016 at 10:15:36 AM EST
when you can be mixing up meth, or growing marijuana?

Maybe they diversify.

the've only been making the stuff by wumpus (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue May 17, 2016 at 04:04:40 PM EST
since 1791 (well, illegally anyway. Legally long before that) and aren't going to give up anytime soon*. Why the locals drink it is beyond me (although it might be a bit more popular in Maryland now that Everclear is banned).

Wumpus

* Reminder to Brits. This is considered a long time ago and critical heritage. Note the "short" distance to WV.

Anything is better | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback