Print Story It feels like January of an election year
Politics
By georgeha (Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 09:13:43 AM EST) gaming, Roomba, Homestuck, cosplay (all tags)
From all the attention from Presidential candidates trying to get the nomination.

Plus, upcoming unemployment, Race to the Rhine, TTR, joining the robot revolution and less!

Poll: Favorite animated post-apocalypse film or series?

Hillary will be speaking at nineteen_year_old's college today. She shouldn't be too affected, as her classes are over before the crowds start to arrive. She's not planning on going, either, though she had to go, she'd wear her Bernie pin. Instead, she's taking fourteen_year_old to get makeup for an upcoming con, I think fourteen_year_old is doing arsenicCatnip from Homestuck.

Trump will be in Rochester on Sunday, and Cruz will show up in Rochester at some point.

I just can't wait for the robocalls! It's fun to have a primary that matters.

Now all I need is lower taxes, a still good shed and we'd be just like New Hampshire.

Mrs. Ha's nanny job will be ending in about six weeks, and she's about done with nannying. She's been applying for other jobs, but nothing solid yet. We will be done with part time tuition payments by then, and the heating bill should be lower, so the income loss won't hurt as much.

My job is getting busier, but travel is a bit less, so far. I got a new cow-orker from overseas, I don't think he's enjoying an upstate New York winter, even though it's been a mild winter.

Despite the upcoming poverty, I decided to splurge with some of our tax refund and join the robot revolution. We bought a Roomba 880. I've wanted one for a while, since the cats trigger my allergies more than anyone elses, and I'm the one most likely to do the vacuuming. Had I known how fascinated nineteen_year_old would be on cleaning the floors with a Roomba, I would have bought one much earlier.

Race to the Rhine is an odd Euro/wargame that I was intrigued by, and would have bought at the friendly local gaming store, but they were all out. I kvetched on the interweb, and net.friend had a spare. I've been solitaring it here and there.

I like it, it's about as bizarre as I was hoping for. Supply is crucial, and most actions deal with supply. Combat is deterministic, if you have enough ammo and maybe POL, you win. It does take up a lot of table space, in addition to the map there are 2-4 decks, one hand for each player, one set of defeated German divisions for each player, and 3-4 corps cards for each player, to track POL. ammo and food. The only dice are used in the specifically solitaire version, which I haven't tried yet.

In the unplayed pile is TTR Volume 5 map, featuring Pennsylvania, and the UK. The
gaming store had it, and it was a birthday present to myself.

In cult movie news, I decided to watch Bakshi's Wizards one evening when Mrs. Ha was working late. The ambiance could have been better, as the girls were bickering over bandwidth (nineteen_year_old wanted to upload a video) and who would get up and power cycle the Wifi and DSL router. I liked it, though I didn't expect all the Nazi films.

After some reading on the internet, it does seem like Bode was a huge, unadmitted influence on Bakshi. I thought I some some things that Miyazaki picked up on, but I may have been trying too hard. Finally, there should be more Elinore cosplay. Stupid kids with their Poison Ivy.

It also made me want to pick up some Bode.

< Contracting question | Long builds >
It feels like January of an election year | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I might have missed it by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 09:52:39 AM EST
I thought 19yr old was, ah, called home from college ..  Is she going to local commuter/community college ?

Yes, local CC by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 09:57:07 AM EST
right now she's taking two math classes, but is gearing herself up to take three math classes in the fall. As long as tuition equals or exceeds $4,000, I'm okay with that.

Who knows, in four years she may end up rooming with fourteen_year_old.

Rallies by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 10:16:48 AM EST
So Bernie was near my hood the other day and I asked LO if she wanted to go to the rally as we promised each other if he was around, we'd see him.

LO hemmed and hawed because she had sports practice and didn't want to cut it. I told her that I'd write her coach as she hasn't been absent or otherwise fucking up this year. No, no, she insisted that she had to go to practice first. We then halfheartedly made plans.

As it turned out, there were lines around the block by the time the early afternoon set in for an evening rally. If we followed the after practice plan, we would have never made it in as the lines were a mile long.

I find it amusing that the sport I encouraged LO to participate in for discipline and keeping her mostly straight is the reason why I missed seeing Bernie.

Nineteen_year_old is voting for Bernie by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 10:26:18 AM EST
in our primary, and has asked us to vote for him.

I missed the window to register as a Republican and vote for Trump.

I believe... by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 04:05:24 PM EST
There is a constitutional requirement that all 18-19 year olds vote for Bernie.

It amuses me to no end that a candidate that would be the oldest candidate ever elected, older than Ronnie in his second victory, is the one beloved by the young 'uns.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

smarter than the usual teenage generation by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 05:48:32 PM EST
at least, if they go and vote for him (unlike the boomers who didn't bother to vote for a guy who wanted to get out of SE Asia). At that age, being a single-issue voter makes a lot more sense. Especially if the issue is tuition and how to pay for it (I suspect that he is on the right side of most dealbreaker issues as well).

Wumpus

PS. Don't google "cruz birth control" if you can't afford to replace your monitor.

That's by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Apr 09, 2016 at 12:27:09 PM EST
how I look at it. It's a rational decision for LO and her ilk to support Bernie on the tuition and student loans thing. Him being in the race at least has made Clinton talk about it (but I highly doubt she's ever going to do anything about it.)
I don't think Bernie does robocalls by InternetLoser (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 10:42:28 AM EST
You get calls from me or someone else.

Robots are people, my friend by georgeha (4.00 / 5) #6 Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 10:48:35 AM EST
Why is Bernie discriminating against Robot-Americans?