Print Story I'm getting too used to traveling on other people's dimes
Games
By georgeha (Thu Feb 04, 2016 at 03:44:17 PM EST) (all tags)
or Euros, or rupees, or whatever.

Plus, Fifth con, or was it first con? single parent living and less!

I've been a single parent for nearly a week. Last year my wife and her sisters talked about going on a cruise with some of their inheritance. One teaches and couldn't go, and one didn't want to go with the other sisters. So, my wife and the sister she is closest to went.

It's a Norwegian to the Western Caribbean, we didn't bother setting up any cell coverage, so I haven't heard from them, but I hope they're having  fun. She left from Buffalo, so she should fly back to Buffalo on Sunday, and drive back to Rochester Sunday or Monday.

It's been more exhausting than I remember. The last time she did this was after her dad died, and there was no school. Now I need to get fourteen_year_old to school by 8 am, making it most logical for me to get up at 6 am (a half hour early), to get my shower in, so I can go straight to work.

While fourteen_year_old is good about emptying the dish washer and scooping the cat litter during the week, the rest of the domestic chores fall on me. I really need to get a few loads of laundry done.

It was a good excuse not to plan a trip to Kentucky though, for our newest Windows release. This is the same sw that I had to drive to and from Lowell the last week of January for. The quality is not where I like it.

Just before the trip to Lowell I took a two night trip to a boardgaming convention in Niagara Falls. I think this was my fifth con, but the first one I ever slept over. My wife said I could go when she was feeling guilty about the cruise. She didn't like it when the Lowell trip came up, as we barely saw each other.

It was cheaper than I expected, thanks to the exchange rate, plus, who the heck goes to Niagara Falls in January? I also ate out less, and survived more on granola bars. I got too used to being reimbursed, eventually, for my meals. That said, I ate a lot of granola bars too and from Lowell, time was off the essence and I didn't have time to stop for a meal.

I played hours of hex and counter wargames, Friday night was a long Panzer Grenadier scenario while Saturday was learning Reluctant Enemies. Sunday I was able to get into two games of A Study in Emerald, thanks to friendly Torontonians. I lost of course, but the second game I did have a strategy that could have possibly one (sacrificing agents to Yog Sothoth for one VP each).

I'm still not sure if I'll go again, it was only $200 USD, but I don't know if it was worth it.

< Well, Shit | Set and setting >
I'm getting too used to traveling on other people's dimes | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
For me... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 05, 2016 at 03:36:48 AM EST
I can't imagine having the time for a two night trip for a hobby.
$200 as a number depends on circumstances - in Soviet UKian money it doesn't sound too bad... but the time - that's where "was it worth it" really bites me at the moment.

Mrs. Ha ended up annoyed by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 05, 2016 at 07:25:54 AM EST
since I came home Sunday and was off to Massachusetts on Monday. I got back from Massachusetts on Friday and she was off on Saturday. She would have been furious if I had gone off to Kentucky the day she got back.

It was an opportunity to learn a very complex game that I had been curious about, and an opportunity to meet people I only knew from the interweb. I did take a vacation day from work, too.

The idea of a such a trip... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 05, 2016 at 09:49:15 AM EST
makes me daydream and I'm kind of jealous, although I probably wouldn't spend it on war-games - and indeed right now I can't think what I'd spend it on, I sort of suspect I'd spend on it on sleep.

You'd be amazed. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Feb 08, 2016 at 02:34:28 PM EST
2-3 times a year, SWHTL holes up in a hotel for a weekend to engage in a bizarre ritual called "scrapbooking".1

Apparently this is a big thing - last trip (during the snow storm) there were 4 different organized groups at the hotel having scrapbooking events, all swapping stories.

1Yes, I choose to believe her on this because it gives me a lot of latitude to disappear for monthly "gaming nights" and "happy hours" at work. Also, she always shows me what she was working on.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
You could buy a lot of boardgames by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Feb 08, 2016 at 02:50:44 PM EST
with all the money spent on special paper, Cricut dies and stickers.