Print Story winter BBQ tips
Food
By clover kicker (Wed Dec 07, 2016 at 09:34:30 PM EST) (all tags)
This summer, circumstances led to me BBQing at least one meal every weekend. It was great.

I've kept at it fairly frequently this fall and winter, and have learned a couple things I would like to pass on.

#1 it is dark as hell by suppertime, get a headlamp.

#2 that clean plate you brought out to put the cooked food onto is ice fucking cold. Hold the plate a foot over the flames and warm it for a minute while the food is finishing up or it will suck all the heat out of the food before you even get inside.

#3 your neighbours already thought you were crazy, but now they know.

< Picadilly Circus | The Company of Wolves >
winter BBQ tips | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
wipo by marvin (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Dec 08, 2016 at 02:00:03 AM EST
Real men just sear their steaks with a blowtorch after cutting them out of the nearest cow.

Ugh, no by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Dec 08, 2016 at 11:33:21 AM EST
You have to age the beef first.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

So... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 08, 2016 at 11:44:37 AM EST
I clicked in here from another comment thread with the phrase "bit rot" on my mind.

Mmm, rot-aged beef.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

a few by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Dec 08, 2016 at 09:42:46 AM EST
well aimed, high power spotlights or floodlights (and porch light) can help with that ...  I also put the plate in the microwave for two or three bursts of 10 seconds to pre-warm it.

On the plus side by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Dec 08, 2016 at 10:05:05 AM EST
The chimney starter cools down quickly after you put the lit charcoal in the grill.

alternate use for hot chimney starter by clover kicker (4.00 / 3) #6 Thu Dec 08, 2016 at 12:27:34 PM EST
I've been using it to scorch the grass growing between the pavers in the walkway, works pretty good if you do it often enough.

Say by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Dec 09, 2016 at 10:31:28 AM EST