Print Story Ohhh boy
Working life
By yankeehack (Mon Jan 04, 2016 at 12:45:35 PM EST) (all tags)
Oh boy oh boy oh boy...

If I wasn't already uncomfortable and looking for a new job situation, I would have had a breakdown this morning.

Come to think of it, I did have a breakdown in November, nevermind, there's still a story.

Anyway, so today's fun with the startup was I was asked to go to an offsite sales meeting at a resort. Room and allegedly transportation would be paid for.

When the founder said this outloud, we were all quiet. Until founder goes, "uhhh yankeehack, I understand it might be hard for you with LO to make this, so uh, let me know if you can't." Ya think bud?

Then later in the morning, I was going through my work email, and found the founder's end of year update email. He attached a spreadsheet with his "growth plan" we had been asking for. I didn't bother to audit the growth numbers - because he's pulling that out of his ass. And as for growth in people, he literally just put some handwavy with no timeline at all "We're going to need to hire some marketing, sales, support and developers." Dude is so fucking out to lunch that he refuses to believe we need developers and data analysts.

But the best part is when I happened upon the spreadsheet with his plan for raising our stipends to "market rates"...let's just say my market rate at a non-startup is at least double whatever the fuck number he came up with.

I just laughed. There is nothing else to do. I let annoying co-worker know about the numbers (he hasn't responded as of yet).

So I am doing what what I was before the break and just keepin' the work gmail tab open while I do other things like applying for other jobs.

Anyway... I have one potential place that I really want to hear from as their process stalled in December, but other than that, still looking.

< We're all zombies when it comes to love | Thinking of joining PEGIDA >
Ohhh boy | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good luck by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 04, 2016 at 02:09:12 PM EST
n/t

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
An offsite resort meeting sounds fun by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 04, 2016 at 02:28:05 PM EST
as long as you're sure the tickets are paid for, and round trip.

resort meeting by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jan 04, 2016 at 03:22:26 PM EST
is probably why you aren't getting paid.

Yeah by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jan 07, 2016 at 11:46:24 AM EST
in a way not-expected.

The guy who owns the "resort" (he rehabbed a small community in the Keys and is now calling it a resort) is also the founder's best friend. And he's the guy who is supposed to give us upcoming loan to make him the largest investor.

I also feel like payroll at my small by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 05, 2016 at 12:27:58 AM EST
and shady employer is some sort of elaborate Ponzi scheme. At least we're paid (for now) with cashier's checks. Praise Jebus.

Why by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 05, 2016 at 05:20:10 AM EST
Aren't you paid by electronic bank transfer like most people in the UK (and until now I presumed America) are?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Che(ck)ques are like guns over there by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jan 05, 2016 at 06:45:59 AM EST
Prise from dead cold hands, etc.

I still have the occasional USian client ask if they can Fedex overnight a cheque to me.

Which is cool 'n' all, but Poland never really had cheques, and everyone I've ever mentioned the idea to goes all goggly-eyed at the very concept of them still being used.

We usta be. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 05, 2016 at 11:45:32 PM EST
I will leave the inference to the astute reader.

Hah by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Jan 07, 2016 at 12:25:38 PM EST
we're paid from online bill pay from an account that can't have transfers larger than 10k a day or something crazy like that. From the description, it just sounds like a money market account.

So, that's why the checks are not paid in any timely manner.

Damned startups by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 05, 2016 at 03:00:54 AM EST
It took me a decade to realise that I was doing it wrong: if you want to have any chance of doing well at a startup, you need to be a 30%+ founder right from the very start. Otherwise, forget it.

The other lesson recently learned is that the majority of people who get funding really are incompetent, and there are stunningly few people with real business skills who even bother ever trying!

Dunning-Kruger rises once again; the trendy Silicon-Valley types have been quite masterful in projecting an aura of "we're oh-so-smart, and that's why we raised 100+ millions."

And then, even if you raise millions in funding, there's a good chance the investors will find one way or another to fuck you over - for your first startup, at least.

Personally, I'm now moving towards the "how much can a one-man shop do online" school of business. 2016's the year to see if it's happy-happy-new-BMW time, or yet another lesson in plumbing the depths of my own stupidity. Again.

/rant

Allegedly by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jan 07, 2016 at 11:47:45 AM EST
I'm an early employee who is supposedly getting sizeable pass through equity once the bills are paid and I will be rich.

No timeline on that though.

Just think by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Jan 08, 2016 at 03:05:54 AM EST
how many times in their lives some dude has said that and still been able to look at themselves in the mirror.

It's really kinda frightening.

Equally allegedly by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun Jan 10, 2016 at 10:55:01 AM EST
 Unless you have some form of agreement in writing, don't hold your breath over it happening even if $startup succeeds

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Oh I know by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jan 14, 2016 at 11:09:39 AM EST
that (among the other things which have been going on) is why I am leaving.
Ohhh boy | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback