Print Story New England Girls
By yankeehack (Tue Sep 08, 2015 at 11:09:18 PM EST) (all tags)
A question: So with the Syrian refugee crisis raging now in Europe, why are Europeans so against the refugees coming to their country? Today we saw a video of a Hungarian camerawoman kicking refugees. Governments seem reluctant to help. Is it because they are brown and Muslim, or why haven't other Muslim countries taken them in or is there some other nuance that isn't getting covered in the US news?

Non-sequitur: Present company obviously excluded, but Massachusetts drivers suck.

Did a college tour in New England with LO last week. Glad that we got to do it, as I needed the break and she needed the inspiration, but holy moly, it was brutal. Lots of driving (20 hours over four days, I think) and way too hot weather. We bickered until LO realized I was right about most things and then we bickered some more. (Teenage daughters, amirite?) The worst part about the trip was the weather and the Massachusetts Turnpike.

The drive to Connecticut was ok, once we got on the road. Waze took us up the NJ Turnpike, to the George Washington Bridge, then Henry Hudson Parkway (which is gorgeous) then some other road up to the Merritt Parkway, which has got to be one of the prettiest roads in America. Also, CT has a thing for keeping all of their Department of Transportation employees working. We had an earlier tour at Trinity in Hartford, CT (that's near where jimgon works, I think) and there was no aircon in the buildings at all.

Later in the day, I got heatsick while on a two plus hour tour of UMass, which is not a small, leafy campus sadly enough. I had problems with my feet swelling in the heat (I think heat plus walking so much) and had to run errands at a strip mall outside of Amherst to get new shoes, gatorade and dinner from Whole Foods. The only good thing was that the hotel was right near by. I was upset that LO and I couldn't find the energy to explore downtown Amherst more, but LO crashed because of the heat too.

Score for first day: 0, I didn't like Trinity and LO did not like UMass. And the heat.

The next day we woke up and had to be in Boston by 10am for a session at Northeastern. So we booked it out of foggy Amherst, and then drove on the Massachusetts Turnpike, which is a turnpike with hills and trucks that go by too fast on the hills. And drivers who pass on the right. Your drivers suck Massachusetts. Now, having driven through NY on the George Washington Bridge the previous day, where I had to merge through 3 lanes of traffic to get to where I needed to go was not as bad as Massachusetts traffic near Boston. I had some moron kid nearly ram into me trying to cross traffic near a traffic merge. (He apparently needed to get to Cambridge badly.) The traffic merges were bad and the lack of turn signals people...c'mon, C'MON.

The Northeastern info session and tour was slick and we sat through it halfheartedly as it's a reach school. (According to the admissions software, she's on the cusp as previous kids from her school did get admitted with her gpa/scores.) The tour again was longer than I expected even with the grad student who gave zero fucks giving it, it was hot and the new shoes were bothering me. After seeing that school, we decided to ditch the car near the hotel and head up to BU as there is no parking at BU. It was a good choice. We figured out the T (even though we ended up walking around the block to get to Copely station) and went on up. We couldn't grab a tour as the students had just returned to campus as it was a mad house, so we chilled for a bit on campus and waited for LO's appointment with a sports coach. We then walked over the bridge and were treated to an awesome view of Boston. So, long story short, LO is being recruited for a sports team with no hope of a scholarship or of any help other than the financial aid office giving LOs application an early review. (Which actually may help us in the long run, so...) LO might be eligible for an unofficial tour with a team member later in the year, so we decided that we'll come back to campus if she gets accepted.

Score: 2; liked both schools, crossing fingers for both. Dinner at a sushi place in Back Bay, which was great until LO got up to leave and spilled water all over me in front of everyone.

Next day we reserved for driving over to Boston College, but by this point LO didn't want to see another reach school. Also, admissions from her high school are very competitive as it's a school that Philly Catholic kids like going to. So we bailed and drove up to Vermont, through New Hampshire and up on I-89. At one point we passed by Bunker Hill Community College, and I said to LO, "There's the college that was in that movie." Me: "Oh you know that movie with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon." LO: "What?"

After a brief stopover at Ben & Jerry's, we got to Burlington. Which was the first time in nearly 12 years since I've been there. Not that much has changed. It still looked pretty much the same. We stayed at the hotel right by the lake, and it was so worth it for the view. LO and I just sat in our room for a few hours and looked outside and bickered at each other. We then walked up to the main shopping/restaurant area, looked around and grabbed dinner. Kind of surprising to me, LO didn't really remember that much about the area. She kept on asking if we could do touristy things and I would say something like "Oh don't you remember that? you used to love being there."

The next day, we toured UVM on a bright sunny day. (I forgot how differently the sun shines up there, it was so weird to notice.) UVM really packed in the info session as there were a number of families who took advantage of the labor day weekend to go up to VT and we got a smart personable kid who did the tour for us. It's a safety school for LO (she's applying Early Action so she can get her ducks in a row), and she'd do well there, but she was like, "It's so big." I promised I would get her a bike. LO wanted to stay in town to do touristy things and she even wanted to see the old house, but I had to remind her we had to go back because she had tickets to a music festival the next day. It was an 8+ hour drive back.

Score: 1, plus all of the Vermont swag (t-shirts, food, etc.) we overdid. We're talking about going back up later this fall perhaps.

Prologue: My feet were fine after a day of not walking in the heat.

Sidenote: Over the summer I got in touch with our former neighbor in VT and told them we were coming up. The wife seemed excited. Last week, when I was finally able to confirm dates and offered to drive up to their place, they went quiet. No idea what happened there. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

< Clawback | PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT >
New England Girls | 40 comments (40 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hungarian guy by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 05:05:37 AM EST
The hungarian guy is like a rabid subset of the tea party, not generally representative.
Media seems to be focussing on the extremes, not the typical reactions which is worried but welcoming (except in a few countries with peculiar media).

Got it /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 07:58:12 AM EST

Hungarian woman by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 10:20:59 AM EST
Actually, if it's the same incident. She's been fired for doing it.

Mind you, getting between the camera and the journo in any situation is never a good idea from your health point of view...

Yup by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 10:39:57 AM EST
I keep persistently misreading Petra as Peter.

drivers who pass on the right by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 07:13:42 AM EST
Are an indication that you're driving too slowly in the left lane... And if you think New England traffic is bad, come to DCia. I've been going down I-66, doing 70 (in a 55 zone) in the left lane, and looked over to see a cop passing me on the right.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I concur by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 08:12:27 AM EST
I think the DC area is one of the all-time worst for driving - maybe just a touch behind driving in NY city.

But - I've never driven in Boston (although we may take a long weekend trip there next year!) and I hear-tell that it's wicked bad driving round those parts.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Pittburgh is far worse than DCis by lm (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Sep 11, 2015 at 06:46:48 AM EST
Just saying.

Cicero, The Republic
Really? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #32 Fri Sep 11, 2015 at 09:35:56 AM EST
Granted it's been a good 15 years since I've been to Pittsburgh but I don't recall near the trauma that I experienced in DC a couple years ago.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

DC certainly has more volume in less space by lm (2.00 / 0) #34 Fri Sep 11, 2015 at 06:37:28 PM EST
The sheer volume of automobiles on the road makes driving difficult.

But Pittsburgh drivers are just nuts.

Cicero, The Republic
because almost every highway by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Sep 11, 2015 at 09:38:22 AM EST
on/off merge ramp in PGH is maybe 10 yards long .. Crazy ..

PGH drivers by lm (2.00 / 0) #35 Fri Sep 11, 2015 at 07:44:21 PM EST
A few things I've seen in Pitt that I don't recall seeing any where else.

A guy driving on the shoulder on the freeway during a traffic jam madly honking and swerving to force cars to let him back into a proper lane because a few hundred yards up is a large sign filling the entire shoulder.

A guy that stopped at a light and then backed up for 200 yards or so.

A woman that did a U turn on a busy street across the concrete median on a divided highway.

...

On the other hand, the only time I've seen a car driving the wrong way on the Interstate was in Cincinnati.

Cicero, The Republic
I drive in Boston by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 08:15:53 AM EST
I thought Dallas drivers were nuts.

Of course, I did get a ticket in Iowa for going 12 miles over the limit. When I flew back and drove home from Providence, I had people passing me (on both sides) for only doing 15 over the limit.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

On the drive by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 08:50:26 AM EST
from Amherst (or wherever backroads entrance Waze decided to put us on the Turnpike to Boston) I was pacing with a middle age guy in a Mercedes convertible. When a slower car came up in the middle lane, I'd take the left and he would take the right.

Funny thing is, until he got close enough to his close to Boston exit, he stayed with me. I guess it was some sort of early morning amusement for him.

Also, I was fine driving ahem faster than the speed limit on the Mass Turnpike except for the bridges - the bridge pavement was pockmarked to hell.

Actually... by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 09:25:31 AM EST
I find it somewhat encouraging that the grunts who repave most of the highway leave the bridges to the engineers to figure out.

I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal. --ni

how's it like by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 09:01:37 PM EST
Driving at 3am.  Every time I've been on 66.  Well.  ugh.  At least they're smart enough to put a metro line down the median,

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
The rules are different here. by ana (4.00 / 7) #3 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 07:21:14 AM EST
A friend summarized Boston driving by saying that people have eyes; they'll stop if you do something stupid in front of them. Sometimes I'm aware when driving elsewhere that I'm no longer street legal anywhere but here. We joke that there's a constitutional right to turn left from the right lane here.

In fluid dynamics there's a combination of viscosity, flow speed, pipe diameter, etc. called the Reynolds number. If it's much less than one, flow is laminar, nice parallel flow lines. If it's much more than one, the flow is strongly turbulent, with lots of eddies and stuff.

In Boston the Reynolds number is very close to one. Any disturbance, and suddenly it's all turbulent.

I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal. --ni

That is a great description of a Reynolds number by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 12:21:30 PM EST

the no-fault rules help by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 02:45:26 PM EST
there's a reason you see in the fine print for a number of auto insurance companies about how such and such doesn't apply in MA, or not available in MA, etc. If someone doesn't have to pay the actual price for their poor driving ..

I remember an article in American Scientist by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 11:00:58 AM EST
maybe 20 years ago where the authors used fluid dynamics calculations to describe traffic jams.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

College tour by johnny (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 10:17:19 AM EST
I did them with both daughters (7 years apart); Dear Wife opted out. I remember UVM with Younger Daughter. We got in town late the night before, it was 0F. Went for tour in the AM; campus snow-covered, no tracks, I thought it was beautiful. We also checked out St. Michaels. But later that day we got to St. Lawrence U, which she loved, and that's where she went to college.

Older Daughter loved Bennington, and they threw money at her, so that's where she went -- for a year, until Things Changed. . .

Yeah by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 12:34:13 PM EST
LO wants to be pre-med but her lack of patience for work has her on this weird cusp of gpa/sat scores, so some schools are unpalatable and others are just out of reach.

The other thing is that I think she'll do better at a bigger campus where there's multiple science majors / a connection to a med school and/or co-ops as an undergrad. She has no fear of talking to people, so she'll seek out her professors if she needs to. Kid doesn't enjoy academics but she likes being busy.

Anyway, if you missed my previous diary, it was your alma mater where she was rated as unadmissable.

Just read your prior by johnny (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 10:12:06 AM EST
diary. Lots going on there, kid.

Hope it sorts itself out.

We're dealing wit lots of stuff on our end too. Seems it's the way of the world, don't it.

It's by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 05:31:18 PM EST
OK - sometimes the best thing is to just move forward.

The school thing was funny, the coach had been contacting LO for months, I'm just surprised he didn't have more pull in the admissions office (hell, even Ivy sport admits are graded on a rank + gpa scale).

Also, LO got to spend a day in your neighborhood - she loved MV, got to rent a motorized bike, loved the pizza (she kept on mentioning one pizza place), and the beaches and she threatened to get a "I vacationed with Obama" shirt for her grandfather.

I don't miss the college trips by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 11:32:17 AM EST
I never properly diarized the last one, in 2013. It sucked, tent camping in 90 degree heat in an aging battered minivan with two flat tires.

The first flat tire was near Elmira, we ran over something. I called triple AAA for help, as I couldn't get the lugnuts off, and couldn't access the spare. When we were done, the oldest informed me to get the spare, you turn a knob in the back. I'm not sure why she didn't tell me that earlier, when I was struggling with it.

The second flat was due to a leaky valve stem, replaced in Bridgeport CT.

We were broke, Long Island camping really sucks, and none of the universities did much for the oldest. She though Western New England was too paternalistic, she didn't want people checking up on her.

Postscript, she withdrew from RIT with an abysmal GPA, partially due to not going to class. Had the staff been checking up on her, she might have done better.

She's now going to the local community college, back on ADD meds, and seeing a therapist for her ADD behavior.

Fourteen_year_old doesn't want to do any trips, but we tell her it will all be online in four years, she will have no reason to leave the couch.

LO's Older Bestie by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 12:24:46 PM EST
who was the captain of the hockey team a few years ago and has ADD, went through similar and finally got kicked out this past semester. Her parents sent her to New Hampshire on a wing and a prayer, I guess hoping that she'd figure things out. She didn't, even after a respite semester at home last year doing the community college thing. Kid is fine - actually thrives to a point - as long as she has a modicum of structure. She's the youngest of four and living at home presently.

Anyway, hot weather and college tours are no bueno. I am hoping we don't have too many to do when it's cold out.

RIT was very supportive by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 12:36:21 PM EST
after an abysmal first semester, she was only allowed to return if she got accepted into a counseling program with a reduced course load, and additional courses in college prep.

She was accepted, but it was still too much for her.

She's now at home, with fewer excuses, and planning on being a professional Civ player as a backup.

RIT ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 02:43:39 PM EST
I thought she was at penn state ? (your alma)

dang, guess I missed all this.

In a rare moment of acknowledging her limitations by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 03:40:49 PM EST
she realized her lackluster grades and test scores would not get her on main campus, and she didn't want to try a Penn State branch campus.

Hence, RIT, who did accept her, and had a lazy river tube ride in their aquatics center.

Its a question of Socialism and Islam. by gmd (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Sep 09, 2015 at 02:56:00 PM EST
No doubt I will be in a minority on this site, with it's surfeit of authoritarian-left 'progressives', but here's my opinion for what it's worth.

Under Socialism, as practiced in the EU/UK, wealth is redistributed via extremely high levels of personal taxation, to fund so called 'public services'. For example, if you live in the UK, the state will pay for your education up to age 18, your healthcare, and has an obligation to house you, should you become homeless. All this largesse with other people's money does not come cheap. The State (at least in the UK) has not scaled to deal with the recent massive influx as a result of Blair's "open door" policy. Allowing hundreds of thousands of migrants into the country puts a huge strain on these already crumbling systems, and the native population (including many immigrants and those of immigrant descent, myself included) are against the unlimited 'blank cheque' nature of the influx.

Finally the elephant in the room which the media basically ignores (or incorrectly labels as racist) is that many people are rightly concerned about importing a load of mentally ill 'Islamists', when we have plenty of our own home grown ones already here.

The stated goal of the fathers of the European movement is to expand the EU into North Africa and the Middle East (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurafrique) It can only accomplish this successfully by pandering to Islam at home. Many people are not comfortable with this, probably due to the European nations shared experiences of the 'peaceful nature' of Islam and Islamists over the centuries.

The Kuwaitis and Saudis know the score aren't having any of it, so much for the 'Ummah'. So my question is, why should we put up with it? Exactly when does it stop? Of what benefit is it to the UK as a nation? What is the point of a nation state if it throws its doors open to all-comers with no regard for the quality of the culture? There is a very big issue with the cultural assumptions of some third world Moslems that ends up with scandals like Rotherham.

TL;DR for me, its a dislike of being around too many third world peasants in general and backward Islamic 'culture' in particular, and not wanting to pay for someone else's healthcare/education/house.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Saudi Arabia by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 07:48:14 AM EST
Is really helping out

Driving in MA by miserere (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 07:31:13 AM EST
When I first moved to the greater Boston area, I was terrified to drive more than a couple of miles from where I lived. After more than a decade here, though, I find that I prefer MA drivers to those in DC or NYC or NC - I know that MA drivers are going to pull out in front of me, or change lanes, or turn left from the right lane. In the areas where I drive the most, I know what the rules are (as ana said, that's important), and I feel pretty confident that nobody is going to slam into me.

That said, I still don't like driving into Boston. If I'm going to, say, my cancer-prevention doctor, or the MFA, or work, I take the T. Parking, for one thing, is an expensive nightmare, and the T is (relatively speaking, particularly since I get a monthly pass paid for with pre-tax dollars) cheap.

I suspect that you also got here about the time that students started returning for classes and dorms and not-up-to-any-sort-of-code apartments, and I've certainly seen in the last couple of weeks that the influx of new people has interrupted that Reynolds number tremendously. I've been in many more near-misses recently than I typically have.

Anyway. I hope that LO finds a school that's the right fit for her. I never went on college tours when I was in high school, and I'm fascinated to read about how they work and if they're useful in picking a school.

I get it by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 07:45:14 PM EST
I was really surprised about parking in summery Boston. The parking garage right by the hotel was a whopping $38/day without the hotel validation. At best, Philly garages might be $28/day in the most touristy of spots. Even short term parking at the airport is only $20/day (which I gladly pay mind you).

As for college visits before the acceptance process, they seem to be 90% for getting said child's butt in gear and 10% for the kid to say whether they can see themselves at the school or not. I did visits with my parents but only for the schools they thought I should apply to - there was no New England odyssey for me either. And my younger siblings did not tour schools at all (as their potential schools were the ones I visited, except for the state school they both attended - it was in my too easy list).

I've talked to a few other people our age who had outcomes like "I thought I liked it during the visit, but realized I hated it." to "I visited the school just once before I went for the fall semester." Even LO's friend group parents who I ran into last night were like "Better you than me!" with a multi-day trip.

More impactful to the admissions process these days is the software the counselors use to guide the kids. You plug in your GPA + test scores to get results (graph based, more likely or less likely to get admitted) based on your high school's competitive profile and previous admits from your school. I'm not 100% sold on it as it seems to eliminate potential schools though.

Refugees... by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 05:14:34 PM EST
...some of the handling is framed negatively by the media. Angela Merkel (German Chancellor) spoke up and said that the German economy alone could absorb 500'000 migrants per year(!). This is twice the number that has arrived from Syria so far.

The tide is turning and a lot of Europeans are understanding that it is our turn to lend a hand. A lot of us never forgot the fairly recent history of refugees within Europe. Most of us only a generation or two away from European conflicts...

Hopefully we'll pull ourselves together and open up and share the responsibility, and stop forcing the weaker southern economies to deal with the whole crisis...
-- The revolution will not be televised.

It's easy for Angela Merkel to say that by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Sep 16, 2015 at 12:16:02 PM EST
Presumably, she's not worried that any of the Syrian refugees will be competing for her job (or moving into her neighborhood).  Same goes for most pundits/talking heads.  I wonder what the average poor working German has to say about it.

hmm... by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #40 Thu Sep 17, 2015 at 03:27:18 AM EST
classic argument, but at the same time they are consumers increasing demand for services and goods where ever they settle.

According to the IRC, the majority of refugees (not immigrants, note there is a difference) return to their homeland when peace and stability returns.

The number of Syrians in Europe is so low that it's not even a blip on the population figures...
-- The revolution will not be televised.

Perhaps by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Sep 10, 2015 at 08:55:18 PM EST
if this happens enough, the EU and the US will think before creating a vacuum they can't control.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Syrian refugees by lm (4.00 / 3) #31 Fri Sep 11, 2015 at 06:53:01 AM EST
Turkey: 1.9 million
Lebanon: 1.2 million
Jordan 630k
Iraq: 250k
Egypt: 130k

I'd say that plenty of predominantly Islamic countries are helping out.

Cicero, The Republic
You can prove anything with facts by Herring (4.00 / 1) #36 Sat Sep 12, 2015 at 02:32:45 PM EST
What interesting* is that, despite the representations in the media:
  1. Economic migration into Western Europe has trended down since 2007
  2. Refugee applications are still nowhere near the levels of the 1992 Yugoslavian crisis
  3. Immigrants are net contributors to the system - at least in the UK. Probably because well over half of our health and welfare budgets go to elderly "natives".
Saying all that, there are signs that popular opinion is turning more positively towards the refugees as the real stories come out.

*annoying

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Hartford by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #37 Sat Sep 12, 2015 at 07:08:53 PM EST
I work in downtown Hartford. And Connecticut drivers are considerably worse than Massachusetts drivers.

---------------
I thought you did by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #38 Sun Sep 13, 2015 at 07:30:27 PM EST
That is a helluva commute you have though. I get the feeling Hartford to Amherst is easy in comparison.

The amount of Range Rovers and other high end cars speeding on the Meritt Parkway (especially around Greenwich) was staggering but that road was nice.

I think I've tamped LO's enthusiasm for the school in Hartford.

New England Girls | 40 comments (40 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback