Print Story I don't write much
Games
By gzt (Sat Sep 19, 2015 at 04:11:30 PM EST) gzt, grad student, eating plants, friggin' intense (all tags)
Because nothing happens in life anymore. I don't get much work done, I really should get more done.

I post all my short takes on things on facebook, anyway.

This semester I'm not teaching. I'm helping grade for one of the first year grad classes and being the departmental consultant for one of the colleges. I now also have an office with a door (shared with two others). Technically, in that other college, I also have an office with a door, but it's a sliding door and there are 8 desks, so it doesn't count. I kind of miss having students, but I don't miss lecturing.

I recently switched over to an almost entirely plant-based diet for a couple reasons. This has radically increased the amount of cooking I do. Also, the store stopped stocking the bread I like, so I've been using the bread machine more, too. Now, I'm not exactly a stranger to eating only plant-based foods: generally for Lent I'd been having a plant based diet, but in the last few years dairy crept back into that out of convenience. A positive benefit: no heartburn.

Choir at church is going okay, except right now it's me, the wifing unit, and somebody else who just follows along with other voices (which is great to have, but it'd be nice to have somebody who could independently sing the alto...). We finally got rid of one of the pieces that I hate because (1) it has the soprano really hammer a high note that we can't really do except on a good day (2) the family that really really liked the piece moved away (3) I have no idea how they would sing it when we're not here - it simply can't go well. I mean, it's not all that high - we go  higher in other pieces, but this one is like a climax - high volume and sustained. Of course, the argument that "I hate it" is not acceptable, the only acceptable reason to scuttle it is that the people are worried about their voices. But we're not doing much else with the music, since it's just two people here, you know? We need to make it so that, on the occasions we're not here, people can do it, and that precludes, like, getting fancy.

There are a million little things that don't work right in life right now. It's mildly annoying but it kind of saps productivity at times. Like, emacs likes crashing right on startup. Great, I won't do any work in a text editor... The towel rack in the bathroom keeps falling down. Marvelous, we'll hang the towels on the shower rod. Water leaks into the car when it rains. Great, we'll park in the garage. The cigarette lighter outlet on the car seem to have gone funky and the GPS seems to lose charge easily. Super, we can charge it at home and only use it a couple minutes at a time when we do need it. etc etc. These are problems that can be solved easily if you're not a poor grad student.

Politics are pretty sucky right now. Our continued insistence on intensive energy use, which requires a dependence on fossil fuels, is really going make things blow for a lot of people in a couple decades.

< When he was bad. | Attention London infidels >
I don't write much | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A positive benefit: no heartburn by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Sep 19, 2015 at 10:12:09 PM EST
So your H, Pylori infection cleared up!

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Wait by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Sep 20, 2015 at 07:04:11 AM EST
You're supposed to write diaries when something happens?! Man I've been doing this wrong.

Good to hear from you, even if you're going through those times when life is trying to kill you with a million paperless.

I don't get much work done by gmd (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Sep 20, 2015 at 04:44:46 PM EST
 "emacs".

i rest my case

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
plant based by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Sep 20, 2015 at 08:38:31 PM EST
so no more GOMAD ? I haven't seen you talk about lifting in 3 years or so ..

I got third in a strongman competition 2 yrs ago! by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Sep 21, 2015 at 12:28:52 AM EST
Actually tied for second, but lost the tie breaks because my grip was shot. Since then, things have been spotty. GOMAD is only when bulking - I've been plenty bulky for several years.

Hmm by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Sep 21, 2015 at 10:30:45 AM EST
Since I had my gall bladder out last year, I have been finding a need to become more plant based.  Greasy does not do well for me anymore.  I still eat meat, but I'm finding that I'm happier, lower tummy wise, with more plants.

Kind of sucks, I'm not inclined towards plants to begin with.  I'm a picky eater, and despise a couple of staple plants that everyone else thinks is the bomb.  Sigh.

I put a lot of EVOO on stuff by gzt (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Sep 21, 2015 at 03:37:45 PM EST
and eat a fair amount of avocado, so I'm not exactly low-fat, but even so it still definitely irritates things less. I mean, I can even drink without heartburn now.

plants by barooo (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 22, 2015 at 03:52:50 PM EST
Are tasty.

For some reason i was under the impression that you were paleo-ish, probably because of training.

I've actually been playing with this recently too, mostly for environmental/bleeding-heart reasons.  If I actually followed through on my convictions I'd be vegan (and also would probably live like RMS), but meat is yummy and a lot less work/thought/planning.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Never paleo. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Sep 23, 2015 at 01:26:45 AM EST
I'm not an idiot.

hence the by barooo (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 23, 2015 at 10:06:46 AM EST
-ish suffix.  It's not all crazy pants, if you strip out the woo and the fact that cavemen need expensive supplements and a vita-prep and vibrams.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I do still like my vibrams! by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 23, 2015 at 04:48:55 PM EST
I've never bought any of the low-carb stuff, though there are a couple decent ideas in paleo: eating a lot of plant matter, for one. apparently paleolithic humans ate one the order of 100+ grams of fiber every day.

I don't write much | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback