Print Story It's August
Death
By ana (Sun Aug 09, 2015 at 08:43:01 PM EST) (all tags)
And there's nothing going on.

Events have conspired, the last few years, for a trip to Colorado each August. But this year, not. The olds have gone to their rewards. The estate is still being settled, but it's hard to imagine a reason for going back.

I still think of retiring and moving into some place like the one my brother lives in, where my folks also passed their last few years. Perhaps, one day, I will do it. Or maybe I'll just die with my boots on, shoveling snow in my driveway.

Also coming up on five years, since. I sorta feel like I should be farther along, or in a different place, or something, by now. But I know there is no should, and things will not be rushed. And the imaginary people in my head are more important to me than real people in the real world. Perhaps when I retire I'll write novels about them. Possibly even something somebody else would think worth reading.

The weather's been remarkably nice here this summer. I guess the wave in the jet stream that brought us cold and snow last winter is bringing us seasonably mild weather this summer, though the rest of the country is hot and dry.

Work is worky. Nothing much going on with the sun, which is fine with me. The thermal model I was working on is released, and working much better than the old one (though to be fair, part of that is the passage of time. There was a very odd couple days there when neither the old nor the new model could match the data. Mercifully that's scrolled out of the validation interval now.). So there are a few days or a week or two or whatever to dust off the little stuff that's been pushed aside while I worked on that. We're training up another person to stand watches starting in September, and we have verbal go-ahead to hire another person, probably out of the local talent pool. The mission looks like it'll go on indefinitely, so maybe somebody younger would be good. Best candidate that I'm aware of is 50 or 51, so that's not exactly young. One of our little band who's been with the project since before launch will be retiring in January, though available part time thereafter. Which is good, because he's the only person in the known universe who understands how some of the software works.

I'm getting tired of choir. There comes a time of disappointment, when the director sees we're not going to fulfill his wildest dreams, and he has to salvage what he can and be happy with whatever we can actually put together. He's leaving for Berkeley within hours of our last concert, so he wants it to be amazing. And I, for one, am tired. I don't think I'll be signing up for another one of these gigs any time soon.

I'm pretty much tired of everything. Such is life.

I should probably get a different car. The 2002 Saturn is old, even though it's just at 60k miles. I have no idea what I want, except not an SUV. And everything seems to be converging on the SUV style. Given how little I drive, the extra cost involved in a hybrid is not going to pay for itself in fuel over the life of the car. I hate buying cars. And nowadays they seem to advertise mostly the car-as-smartphone features. It's only a matter of time before somebody gets killed because automotive electronics designers failed to keep the operating network separate from the cell grid and the entertainment system. Keep the mission-critical stuff off the freaking internet.
< Don't let's be beastly to the Germans? | Shiny Happy People Holding Hands >
It's August | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Smartphone cars by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 10, 2015 at 10:06:36 AM EST
You saw the wired car hack stuff I guess?

Iambic Web Certified

Ayup. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 10, 2015 at 11:58:26 AM EST
And most of the car owners probably won't get the software upgrade. Tesla also had a hack (that involved direct contact with the onboard computer network) that they fixed. Though of course if the corporation can push software upgrades over the air, what's to say hackers can't do that?

I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal. --ni

The paranoid conspiracy nutter in me by gmd (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Aug 10, 2015 at 04:11:22 PM EST
 Thinks that there is probably a hidden agenda here. The government and its shady controllers would love the ability to immobilse selected targets.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
consumers are so tolerant of software problems by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Aug 11, 2015 at 08:52:48 AM EST
If you could walk over to a Jeep and use a secret knock on the hood ornament to make the wheels  fall off, consumers would be up in arms.

Retiring by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Aug 11, 2015 at 03:33:06 AM EST

Don't you think now would be a good time to have him write some online documentation?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
He's doing that. by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 11, 2015 at 06:54:41 AM EST
 But it's hard to know what-all is in his head, even for him. So he's talking the new person through a lot of it, and together they're writing it down. The second person, the consumer of that documentation, is an important part of the creation of it, I think.

I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal. --ni

documentation by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 11, 2015 at 08:48:51 AM EST
It's relatively easy to write down what everything is, but the knowledge of why it evolved that way is often just as important and much harder to consciously remember much less write down.

Cars by reellife (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 17, 2015 at 09:19:45 AM EST
Buy a fun car. Like a Mustang.

Carpool by ana (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 17, 2015 at 11:29:19 AM EST
We've verified by experiment that the back seat of a mustang is not suitable for adults.

I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal. --ni

Buy a Subaru, and say goodbye to shoveling by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Aug 17, 2015 at 04:18:00 PM EST
the driveway.

If only because... by ana (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 17, 2015 at 04:34:09 PM EST
it won't fit in the garage. Still have to dig it out, check the blade you'd need to blast through the ice at the end of the driveway, etc.

I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal. --ni

Mustangs by reellife (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Aug 22, 2015 at 04:17:24 PM EST
Oh, they fit. Just not comfortably. :P

Also... by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 17, 2015 at 11:29:57 AM EST
wooo! A comment from reellife!

I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal. --ni