Print Story Le chapeau de Mitterrand
By TheophileEscargot (Sun Jul 26, 2015 at 03:59:16 AM EST) Reading, MLP (all tags)
Reading: "The President's Hat". Links.

What I'm Reading
The President's Hat by Antoine Laurain. Short novel translated from the French. A man who finds himself sitting next to President Mitterand at a brasserie picks up the hat Mitterand has left behind. It changes his life, and as the hat is passed across a group of characters changes theirs too.

Lovely, whimisical novel. Short and light but charming. Gives a wonderful picture of life in Paris in the 1980s. Well worth a read.

One slight quibble. The hat is described throughout as a homburg, but all the pictures I can find of Mitterand wearing a hat seem to show the pinched front of a trilby/fedora.

Links
Socioeconomics. The new "plague of hypersensitivity" isn’t just about a shift in power, but a wider cultural transformation from a "culture of dignity" to a "culture of victimhood".

Sci/Tech. MPAA Emails Reveal Plan To Run Anti-Google Smear Campaign. Anti-science advocates are freaking out about Google truth rankings. How SQL server licensing issue shut down a plant. "Blogfather" Hoder on how the web changed while he was in prison. Web Design: The First 100 Years.

Video. Fred Astaire: You're all the world to me. Sousaphone player gives KKK march an undignified soundtrack.

Articles. Islamic State and the modern world. The Strange Case of the Duesenberg Midnight Ghost. The Mathiness of Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Was the nail salon exploitation expose wrong? In Iraq, I raided insurgents. In Virginia, the police raided me: "The short-sighted notion that we should always protect ourselves endangered us more in the long term. It was a flawed strategy that could often create more insurgents than it stopped and inspired some Iraqis to hate us rather than help us."

Politics. "Prevent" programme stifles freedom of expression in schools:"boy... was told that "Free Palestine" badges that he wore were "extremist". "In a few short months, Varoufakis completely exploded the idea that economics is the language of power" 6 Reasons Jeremy Corbyn Could Win the Next General Election. Labour's economic narrative. Thatcher was considered too extremist to be leader. Blair, Elvis and the Labour Leadership Contest. Europe braces itself for a Leftist backlash after Greece. How I became a white supremacist.

Random. Hypothetical police procedurals.

< Catching up: our new house | my life (part 1.5) >
Le chapeau de Mitterrand | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
On links by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jul 26, 2015 at 12:01:57 PM EST
Anti-google smear: The use of "news" as corporate sponsored propaganda is as old as the news (I wonder how many farthings you had to slip ye old crier to "adjust" the news). The only interesting thing is that they are using it against an organisation large enough to have a chance at fighting back.

"anti-science advocates against truth": the human brain seems to operate on the "what I tell you three times is true" model. Google doesn't. This makes things much harder on the anti-science advocates (who are used to the "truth and lies get equal time" media model).

SQL server licensing vs. plant: <spoiler>the plant doesn't get shut down</spoiler>. Takeaway: badly configured software of any sort can stop whatever it controls (regardless of total cost).

Police raids: The news has a running joke of Texans protesting US military exersizes in Texas (believing it to be for military control). Presumably this is much safer than protesting the local cops for doing exactly what they are afraid of.

"Prevent": I doubt there is a single political movement whose message hasn't been put on a t-shirt/button/etc in the US and been prohibited by the school in question.

Greece: I've heard more than I care to hear about Greece. I've heard about mooching Greeks. I've heard about cruel Germans. I've heard (barely) about the IMF profiting by making loans that are highly damaging (especially after bailout terms) to countries. What I haven't heard are just how profitable those loans are to those who make the deals (on the Greek side). Somehow between the media and Brussels, this behavior must be seen as sacrosanct and absolutely unquestioned. Adding such a "missing side" would probably make the story too understandable and lose profitable airtime/rage inducement.

Wumpus

Hamlet: Detective by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 09:34:04 AM EST
Made me giggle at my desk.

Interesting point about economics not really being the language of power. All this blaming "neoliberalism" seems a bit off the mark to me. Seems like Krugman and Piketty are working within similar neoliberal assumptions to The Economist. This whole austerity thing would be better off with a new name.

Iambic Web Certified

Neoliberal is a terrible name by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 01:09:08 PM EST
Lots of people are still confused by the US use of liberal.

"Austerian" might be a better one, though it sounds a bit Star Trek.

Austerian warships off the starboard bow! by Scrymarch (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 07:43:07 PM EST

Iambic Web Certified

My hair is on fire by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Aug 04, 2015 at 07:52:38 PM EST
The link under socioeconomics could only be written by someone who simply did not regularly experience sexism or racism, and does not understand the consequences of "behaving with honor." For example the original #iaskedpolitely hashtag on Twitter had so many stories of people having asked politely for sexist insults to stop, and being punished for it.

I call horseshit.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Le chapeau de Mitterrand | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback