Print Story I have turned into one of THOSE PEOPLE
Gadgets
By clover kicker (Sat May 09, 2015 at 08:17:32 PM EST) (all tags)
That's right, bought a Weber charcoal grill.

I am now legally entitled to lecture everyone about the difference between BBQs and grills but let's not and say we did.

My cheap old propane rig died last summer, actually it's been down to 1 burner for a couple of years, but I got over 10 years out of it so I can't complain.

Low end propane BBQs of today are flimsy as fuck, so I decided to get something rugged though admittedly less convenient.

Speaking of inconvenient, this is the perfect outdoors cooker/smoker when you've got lots of time and a few beers.

In unrelated news, have some Dylan songs fed thru audio processing software to lower his voice 3 semitones.

< Woo. Subtropical. | Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good >
I have turned into one of THOSE PEOPLE | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
de-tenored by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat May 09, 2015 at 08:24:01 PM EST
How... odd that 3 semitones would make such a difference.

And we were days from starvation until those missionaries knocked on our door. We made Alfred Packer stew. --georgeha

the link I found to it said 3 semitones by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat May 09, 2015 at 08:55:48 PM EST
Pretty hard to say what processing was actually done though.

I Just A-B'd The Times They Are A Changing by motty (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat May 09, 2015 at 10:50:50 PM EST
Original is in G.

Pitch-shifted version is in E.

So, yes, three semitones down.

I don't think it's using tempo-preserving pitch shift, though, which is kind of a shame. The shifted versions seem slower.

Audacity (which is free) has tempo-preserving pitch shift. It's slow: takes about 2x the length of the file to produce the new version, but works great.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

I fully approve of abandoning propane by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat May 09, 2015 at 08:53:20 PM EST
Not all that of a big fan of Weber but there's worse. No you can cook on charcoal for convenience and on wood because it's better.

Cicero, The Republic
cooking on wood by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat May 09, 2015 at 09:14:56 PM EST
My and my high school buddies get together a couple times a year at one of the lads' hunting camp. We've cooked all kinds of stuff over the campfire in all weather, and getting those racks has been transformational.

Very stable, infinitely adjustable, and the highest rack position makes for a great smoker.

In a way it's unfair to compare our meals there to regular meals, I mean we're sitting around the fire all day in the fresh air building an appetite, smelling the ribs or whatever for hours before you get to eat them, of course everything tastes great.

Propane by Herring (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun May 10, 2015 at 01:20:15 PM EST
That's not barbecuing. That's having a cooker outside.

I am going to buy a Webber at some point. I had one before but ... long dull story. They work really well though.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I can't entirely agree by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun May 10, 2015 at 09:59:18 PM EST
Things like smoker boxes mean you can do things with a propane grill that are decidedly different than what you could do with a normal stove or oven.

But, still, moving away from gas as a heat source is always an improvement when it comes to outdoor cookery.

Cicero, The Republic
Well by barooo (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue May 12, 2015 at 10:26:31 AM EST
with a commercial-quality range hood you could do it indoors :)  Lots of chefs use smoke in a restaurant kitchen.

To my mind, a propane grill is an outdoor stove with an excellent range hood.  A grill implies charcoal and 400-500 degrees or more (or wood if you want but you'd tyipcally burn it down to... coals anyway) and barbecuing means smoking at 200-300 degrees.  One can smoke on a gril, can add wood smoke to an outdoor stove, or can use a smoker.  I've done all 3.  A dedicated smoker holds more and is easier to run at 200-300 degress.  A grill is more intended to run at about 450 or so, the coals are closer to the grate.

Some models of grill have adjustable grates or adjustable coal beds.  That is a nice option to have, but you can simulate it with fire zones (bank up the coals so you have a ripping hot section, a hot section, and an indirect/cool section) if you don't need to use 100% of the grate for cooking.

Currently I have a weber grill.  They are well made and will basically last forever.  Mine has a gas light option which means I just pile up some coals, turn it on, then go in and prep and by the time I'm done prepping it's probably about ready.  I am considering either adding a weber smokey mountain now that I have more space (had one of the old smaller ones, they make a bigger one now which will actually hold a rack of ribs) and they are excellent in almost all respects.  But I'm also considering ditching both in favor of a Big Green Egg.  It will serve as an excellent smoker, and is also one of the best grills around but it's expensive ($800 or so) and heavy as fuck.

Pro Tip: Use lump charcoal instead of briquettes.  You can just close down all the vents and use the leftovers next time, and it gets to temp a little bit faster than briquettes.  Plus it contains wood, not wood and filler.  This means you can throw another handful on the fire and not get any weird smells (this is a divisive topic; many people claim they can taste the ammonia-ish smell that not-yet-fully-lit kingsford gives off, other say they can't so some people do this with briquettes and some don't. I think I could taste it once, but I've done it other times and couldn't tell but I generally am in the "don't do that with briquettes" camp.) because it's just pre-burned wood.

I suspect I may have been trolled.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I call it "grilling" by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon May 11, 2015 at 07:08:06 PM EST
nt

I'm on my second Weber by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat May 09, 2015 at 09:08:49 PM EST
They're a good charcoal grill, and you can even cook over old Christmas trees, though I mostly use them for tinder.

WHAT by barooo (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue May 12, 2015 at 10:27:49 AM EST
are you on about?  cooking over pine is a bad idea because of resin.  you could probably get away with something that cooked super quick, but why risk it?

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
tinder is the word by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue May 12, 2015 at 11:14:37 AM EST
a few tiny branches of desssicated Christmas tree with needles still attached flares right up, enough to start the hardwood twigs to hardwood sticks to leftover lump charcoal. By the time I'm ready to cook, everything is burned off except the charcoal.

Yeah, but by barooo (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed May 13, 2015 at 05:29:59 PM EST
the first part of that sentence implies just cooking over the old christmas tree.  The second part is certainly true.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Dylan by johnny (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat May 09, 2015 at 09:13:12 PM EST
What a revelation. Do you have a link that explains it?

google... by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat May 09, 2015 at 09:16:24 PM EST
 turned this up.

unfortunately no by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat May 09, 2015 at 09:18:33 PM EST
Was bouncing around YouTube and found this

I've got one too. by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon May 11, 2015 at 09:59:57 AM EST
I got a Weber kettle grill last year.  Pretty cheap way to get into charcoal grilling, not too much investment if it doesn't work out.

Mine's been great.  The chimney I bought for it has been great for lighting it.

we got a weber gas grill by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #14 Mon May 11, 2015 at 07:12:07 PM EST
because i had one for a bazillion years and it was great for quickly throwing on some food.  we sold it before the move because clock prefers vertical heat instead of horizontal.  and it wasn't cost-effective to move across the country.  anyway, we got a new one when we moved here, and love it more than the old one.

most importantly, weber makes parts for their grills for almost ever.  so, 15 years from now we can replace anything that dies for a pretty reasonable cost.

i love charcoal, but most of the time grilling is a last minute thing and gas is just so much easier to get from "huh, we should grill this" to eating.

outdoor oven! by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri May 15, 2015 at 05:16:40 PM EST

Ye Olde Weber. by technician (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun May 17, 2015 at 03:00:05 PM EST
My father has one of those new fangled Weber Performer grills. Loves it. With a convection chimney starter, the coals get up to speed pretty darn quickly. In fact, for high heat, they probably get ready within a few minutes of a propane grill getting to the same temp.

You can make one for about the same price as buying one (see http://www.instructables.com/id/Low-Budget-BBQ-Chimney-Starter-IKEA-Hack/)

I got rid of my smoker and my Weber, since moving them wasn't an option (they're heavy, messy, and replaceable). I did keep my solid iron hibachi grill, because it is tiny and awesome.