Print Story Volunteer Firefighter Superfecta! I Win!
By johnny (Fri May 01, 2015 at 12:30:40 AM EST) (all tags)
I’m a volunteer firefighter. Page came in this morning, report of a car rolled over with somebody trapped inside.

I’m on the ladder company, not rescue, but the accident happened near to where I was working, & they usually need extra manpower at rollovers. So I hop in my jeep, turn on my flashers & head to the site.

(Asshole school bus driver won't pull over for me. Other assholes clogging up the lanes. I drive on the right for another 20 yards. When I can see the cops' blue lights & the ambulance I give up & park. Get out of the car & start running towards the wreck.)

I’m one of the first on scene, cop cars flashing, ambulance flashing, car on its side. Rescue truck not there yet.

Jus as I realize what's up & say something like "Holy Jesus Fuck", Chief appears before me, impeding my progress, looking me in the eye like I'm some kind of felon.

The car’s my wife's car, and the person trapped inside is my 27 year old daughter.

That was kind of an upsetting development.

Chief is checking me out, making sure I'm cool before he allows me to approach rescue scene, my daughter trapped in a car on its side.

During the 15 minute rescue I held her hand (the car was up on its side) and told her she was OK. She was sobbing & terrified, afraid she had killed somebody.

Looks like she’s going to be OK. Just bruises. They’re overnighting her in the hospital to keep an eye on her.

My wife’s car is out of commission.

You can imagine all the emotional stuff that happened over the next two hours, my ride to the hospital, calling Dear Wife, etc, etc.

I'm not going to mention the severe & newly diagnosed medical condition that was, in all likelihood, a contributing factor to the accident. Younger Daughter has lost all memory of the time before & during the accident, so we'll likely never know.

Trauma today was all the fucking assholes on the Facebook group "Islanders Talk" speculating that the accident was cause by her texting (Wrong. Her phone was home on the kitchen counter when the accident occurred.) And that she got off with only a civil citation & not a criminal one because her father's a firefighter. Lucky him.

So that got her a bit upset.

But she knows assholes gonna be assholes.

It's late & I can't say any more now. She spent one night in MV hospital with concussive symptoms but is hone & getting better now.

< UK Election: SNP does a deal with the Tories? | You Finally Made a Monkey Out of Me >
Volunteer Firefighter Superfecta! I Win! | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Whew by marvin (4.00 / 3) #1 Fri May 01, 2015 at 01:13:51 AM EST
That ended a lot better than I expected. So glad to hear that everyone is mostly okay.

By about the fifth or sixth paragraph, I was dreading that I'd be reading something similar to a recent incident near the place I live, so seeing a happier ending was a huge relief. The daughter of one of the first responders was the victim in a crash a few months ago.

Thank you for putting "I Win!" in title. by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri May 01, 2015 at 03:20:30 AM EST
While reading I was very much comforted by the thought that "everything worked out well enough for johnny to find a win in this."

Hope everyone is ok. Re: texting. A friend of mine texted her friend to ask when she was getting in town. Turns out: while trying to read that text while driving, her friend reached down for her phone and ended up crawling out from under a transfer truck with her neck broken in 3 places. She recovered and took the whole thing rather well.

Chill out, snowflake.

Ack! by ana (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri May 01, 2015 at 06:45:33 AM EST
 So glad she's okay, and I hope all the bruises etc. really are minor. The car is just a car.

And we were days from starvation until those missionaries knocked on our door. We made Alfred Packer stew. --georgeha

Oh, Johnny by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri May 01, 2015 at 07:23:02 AM EST
Hugs to you and Dear Wife.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Wow, surprised your heart held out by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri May 01, 2015 at 09:15:17 AM EST
at least she's okay.

Oh no! by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri May 01, 2015 at 10:37:58 AM EST
I'm so sorry to hear that.  My best to her and I hope she gets better soon.

Sweet Jesus! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat May 02, 2015 at 02:34:36 AM EST
Is your Fire Chief Rod Serling? Glad she's okay.

Glad Young Daughter is ok by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat May 02, 2015 at 09:16:06 PM EST

Iambic Web Certified