Print Story Attention UK blokes
Travel
By Bob Abooey (Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 07:30:00 AM EST) (all tags)
Some questions about a possible visit to your island.

So - here's the rub - I'm entertaining a trip to the UK next year for me and the little missus.

I have quite a bit to try to work out but some preliminary stuff would be:

1. What's the best time of the year to visit - or maybe this would be better phrased as is there a time of year we wouldn't want to come? Ideally I'm thinking May/June timeframe for the trip.
  2. I'm thinking of 10 days - plus two for travel. Ideally we would want to:
     a) Spend one or two "no pressure" days just wandering about London - drinking tea and eating fish -n- chips and the whatnot.
     b) Spend a few days touring the major sights.
     c) Spend a day (or two) in Scotland.
     d) Pie in the sky wish - visit Ireland or France for a day or two.

Would we be able to do that in 10 days without running like crazed lunatics or would we need a couple more?
How much time would be spend in transit should we try to visit Scotland and either Ireland or France for a day?

Those are my basic framweork type questions - any advice is appreciated!

< a Canuck's snowblower review | Well, sweet. >
Attention UK blokes | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
observation by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 07:31:45 AM EST
If you locate yourself in the London area, it is probably easier and cheaper to visit France than Scotland.

Thanks by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 07:37:28 AM EST
Logistically I'm thinking maybe we would fly into London - do all the London type things (maybe a trip to France) - then travel to Scotland then maybe fly home out of Manchester. Or actually - maybe fly home out of some airport in Scotland.

How long would the roundtrip trip to France be from London?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

LMGTFY by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 08:52:15 AM EST
London to Paris by filthy socialist Eurostar train = 2.5 metric hours.

TAYPSSADB by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 11:35:53 AM EST
~nt~

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Eighteen_year_old's Girl Scout trip by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 10:40:45 AM EST
was cheap, they kept running the numbers, and the cheapest way to and from the UK was to fly from Toronto to Edinburgh, take the train to London, take the train back, and fly back to Toronto. Tehy did that in about eight days.

Holy Schnikes by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 11:22:09 AM EST
Flying out of Toronto (even direct to London) saves me about a thousand dollars for two tickets. That's crazy.

Not sure I'm up for adding 9 hours in the car (4.5 each way) though. Working out the airfare matrix will be interesting.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

You could spend a night in Toronto by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 12:33:22 PM EST
I think Phantom of the Opera is still playing at the Plantages, there's always a party on Yonge street, and you can watch all the Canadians hobble around on crutches since their Socialized health care won't get them replacement hips and knees.

I had good success with google flights by marvin (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Mar 19, 2015 at 12:26:35 PM EST
The numbers change by the hour, it seems. I had fixed dates and no flexibility, but there is a feature showing a bar chart with lowest fares each day over the entire month, should your timing allow a range of dates.

I was happy with the price I paid. Adding a 10 hour stop in Portland saved me $2k on 5 tickets as well. Trying different airports and routes can be a lot of work, but worth the time.

Detroit should save you a fair amount, too. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Mar 19, 2015 at 02:33:44 PM EST
I'm not sure when's best to buy your plane tickets, but buying closer to the date of travel can often be cheaper (say about 2 months out).

Some comments by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 07:40:35 AM EST
May/June is good

Is it outside London i.e:: Oxford, Cambridge etc? Are you going to rent a car?

Scotland: I assume you want to go Edinburgh, you can get train tickets booked in advance from £44, it takes about 4.5 hours from London King's Cross Station.

France is easier to visit than Scotland from London as you can travel by train to Paris via Eurostar, can be cheaper than going to Edinburgh and only 2.5 hours.

Okay by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 07:57:38 AM EST
I would rather not rent a car - can we get around using bus/cab/train/etc without a car?

We would probably want to stay in London proper for much of the visit - but would want to spend a night(s) in other historic areas.

Scotland - I don't know where - someplace that's beautiful.

Maybe get an early train out of London to France - spend a day/night - then get an early train back to London.

I guess my concern would be trying to pack too much into 10 days and spending too much time traveling on trains.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

With a 10-day cap on travel... by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 08:55:46 AM EST
you're going to be wandering around Londinium like the freaking Griswald family. If you bumped it up to 14, you could do a fairly productive London/Paris trip.

You could do the overnight sleeper by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 09:09:29 AM EST
To the highlands of Scotlandia https://www.sleeper.scot.

Windsor, Stratford upon Avon, Oxford and Cambridge easily reachable by train from London.

I think you should decide either Paris or Scotland as fitting both in and visiting the sights in and around London is too much in 10 days.

Cambridge by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 09:27:36 AM EST
If you go to Cambridge and stay off-term time, stay in one of the Unis. Pretty much all hotels in Cambridge are overpriced and pokey so student rooms are much better value and the breakfast rooms are atmospheric.

I've generally stayed at St. Catherines.

Cats? by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 09:44:34 AM EST
Tut...

Says the completely unbiased Electronic Information Officer at another College.

Be aware that the College rooms are almost all singles, a lot of them will have shared facilities rather than en-suite and there won't be a TV. Still good places to stay though.

Actually by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 11:29:09 AM EST
I'm prepared to over-pay for lodging - we're at the stage in our life where we like to be pampered a bit.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Overpaying for luxury is fine by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 02:34:19 PM EST
But Cambridge hotels do take the piss. I guess if you are willing to be silly, Hotel du Vins.

I'nm not willing to be that silly! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 03:01:35 PM EST
We'll have to spend some time working out the best mix of location/quality/price for our wants/needs once we get the logistics worked out. I may want a couple nights in a fancy pants historic place with lots of British charm then the rest in reasonable lodging.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

That's it! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 11:34:06 AM EST
Edingurgh looks awesome!

"Castles, dungeons, ghosts and tunnels give Scotland’s capital an air of mystique"

That's exactly what we're interested in seeing! I think maybe 14 days is the way to go if we're going to do it.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Well by Herring (2.00 / 0) #27 Sun Mar 22, 2015 at 10:04:14 PM EST
if you want someone to drive you around the sites of the Surrey Hills, I can do that.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

idea's by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 09:17:54 AM EST
As people have said, London is a pretty good central location, and is easy to get back and forth from Paris if you would like, and then head up to Scotland.

As for Scotland, unless you want to get a car and go off to the country side, I'd second the recomendation of Edinburgh. It's pretty easy to get to, and is a beautiful city. Lots of things to do, particularly if you are there in August (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Festival_Fringe)

Ireland's not so bad to get to either, you could probably find a cheap Ryan air flight to Dublin and back. (Although depending on how much luggage you and the missus have, it might not be that cheap).

But to do 3 cities in ten days, is a bit much. I recently did similar this past christmas and did Detroit (started there) -> Niagra -> New York -> Montreal -> Toronto -> Detroit over 10 days I believe, and by the time we got to Toronto, we barely had the energy to do anything productive or see anything there.

I'd probably agree with the suggestion to do 3 cities across 14 days as well.

Aye by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 11:27:33 AM EST
I'm thinking if we want to add in a short trip to both France and Scotland we would need a couple more days at the least. Especially as I would like a couple days with very little on the itinerary to wonder about and sit at coffee shops and just take it all in.

Then again - I would love to see Ireland too - if even just for a day. We could always leave our luggage checked in a London hotel and go with overnight bags for a day.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

When I was 12, in 1978 by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 09:24:45 AM EST
We went to Soviet UKia for a couple of weeks in the Spring. A week in London, a week in Yorkshire. Side trips to Canterbury and Stratford. Just long enough to get the highlights.

Easter morning service in Canterbury Cathedral was impressive.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Be sure to familiarise yourself by gmd (4.00 / 4) #23 Thu Mar 19, 2015 at 05:58:44 PM EST
 With my definitive guide for Americans visiting the UK. It is a bit old now, but most of the points are still valid.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Thank you by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Mar 20, 2015 at 09:58:11 AM EST
I'll print this and take a copy with me!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

no love for Wales? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Mar 19, 2015 at 08:20:13 PM EST
Do you hate the Welsh, Bob?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
I asked this once by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Mar 20, 2015 at 09:34:29 PM EST
Then got fired a short time later. I hope your experience is better than mine.

---------------
Thanks for that! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 11:56:49 AM EST
There's a BIG DEAL in the hopper which will provide me with a substantial bonus that would twice over pay for the trip - however it's far from a sure thing at this point. Also - they gave me a healthy pay increase this year but that certainly wouldn't preclude them from shit-canning me at any point. The joys of working for a big company now.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

I'm here for you man. (n/t) by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Apr 02, 2015 at 08:17:01 PM EST

---------------