Print Story No one ever got fired for buying Amazon
Gadgets
By georgeha (Tue Mar 10, 2015 at 03:26:29 PM EST) (all tags)
I love to read, and I've been doing a lot of traveling. Normally a good combination, but the logistics were killing.

So, I bought a kindle.

Lots of work travel lately. Some of it is because of the three people in my organization in the US, only two are citizens, and the other citizen rarely visits customers. I guess because he's in southern California, why leave paradise.

Most of it is due to the newest plastic melting on paper thingies having a hugely different interface for communicating with the front end computer than previous ones. Our developers are still learning. That thingies has caused five of my last seven trips, all since October.

Then, the headquarters of a casual southern restaurant with attached gift shop was convinced to replace three mature devices with three of the newest ones. Hence my third trip to Tennessee since December.

The book situation was driving me nuts, trying to handle four books along with all my other crap while flying from regional airport to hub to regional and back and trying to make connections.

So, a kindle hd 6, since it was the cheapest tablet I could find that I wouldn't hate after a few months.

So now I'm the person you hate in security, laptop, two phones and a small tablet.

< Pet Cemetary | Vaginas? Vaginas. >
No one ever got fired for buying Amazon | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wow, Reagan National is a shithole by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #1 Tue Mar 10, 2015 at 10:31:38 PM EST
it rivals the American bound section of Toronto's airport for crappiness, maybe worse.

Absolutely by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 10, 2015 at 10:40:10 PM EST
But the views on take-off and landing are nice.

Not this time by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Mar 10, 2015 at 10:49:31 PM EST
Too much rain and drizzle to see much. This was also the first time I had to take a bus from my arriving gate to my departing gate, then a bus from the departing gate to the airplane. I guess I should count my blessings that I didn't have to load my bag into the cargo hold myself.

Next time by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 03:56:04 PM EST
Ruth's Chris, Crystal City.  Awesome view on the top floor of the buildings overlooking Reagan and the Mall.  Bonus if you're on an expense account.

Ruth's Chris would really dent my $50 by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 04:01:59 PM EST
a day food reimbursement.

Aside from former corporation's just closed training center in Leesburg, I haven't had a business trip to DC since Palm Pilots were big. The local team is too good.

Though, I'm pretty sure I saw Crystal by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 10, 2015 at 11:05:19 PM EST
City on takeoff, somehow I've never had a chance to see it before.

Pity you weren't in town long enough by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 06:00:20 AM EST
for lunch or something.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah, I barely had time for dinner by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 06:52:56 AM EST
Land at 6:20, board at 7:15, and fit in a bus ride and dinner.

Quote i read recently by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 08:17:48 AM EST
A kindle is not good at being a book. It is good at being a bookshelf. That's why I'm a 3 device traveller too.

The kind of person I hate in security is the businessman who looks as if he flies a lot yet mysteriously forgets he needs to remove belt and empty pockets.

Yeah, I was behind one of them yesterday by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 08:50:42 AM EST
I've already switched to slip on shoes, despite any amount of snow. I suspect next will be pants with an elastic waistband, and some sort easily removed gadget vest.

TSA Precheck by ks1178 (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 09:36:43 AM EST
Does your local airport support TSA Precheck?

That way you don't need to worry about taking off shoes, removing all electronics etc...

It costs a bit of money, you need to fill out some paperwork, and have an interview, but after that, you can pretty much ignore most of the security theater stuff at most US airports.

It does, I got sent into it once by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 09:55:50 AM EST
and enjoyed the easy passage.

But, I don't want to pay for it myself (better things to do with that money) and my corp is unlikely to pay for it.

Plus, if they pay for it, they may want to travel every few weeks.

Say no to elastic waistbands by Oberon (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 09:44:09 AM EST
I got one of these (just because I don't like leather belts) but it happens to be good for airporting too:

How now, mad spirit?
then you have to trust TSA employees to by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 10:03:51 AM EST
follow the spirit of the rules, and not the letter of the rules. Not sure if I want to risk that.

Didn't have any trouble last August by Oberon (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 11:42:35 AM EST
The TDU belt stayed on throughout my last North American adventure (through airports in UK, Canada and US). Then again I'm white and reasonably conventional-looking so I no doubt have a great deal of airport privilege ....

How now, mad spirit?
Now that you have a Kindle by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 11:08:09 AM EST
Get Calibre and head over to Gutenberg.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

In time by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 11:17:33 AM EST
I also need to install Acrobat, and figure out how to move my PDF's over to it. Some SME docs, some manuals, many Classic Traveller books from Marc Miller's DVD I bought a few years ago.

Calibre does conversions, too. by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 12:15:59 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It was how I moved my Nook library by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #17 Wed Mar 11, 2015 at 12:16:31 PM EST
over to the Kindle.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Calibre, as wiredog mentions, by technician (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Mar 13, 2015 at 11:13:52 AM EST
will totally do conversions. You can have them all in one format.

I also use Moon+ Reader for things that aren't Kindle. Lightweight, reads a tons of formats, presents them well. They have it for Kindle Fire: http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Reader-Pro/dp/B004TN7QPG

I took your advice yesterday. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #23 Fri Mar 13, 2015 at 04:11:42 PM EST
And now, thanks to the MUCH looser copyright restrictions of the AUSSIE Gutenberg site, I have a comprehensive digital hoard of E. R. Burroughs' stuff.

Sadly by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Mar 12, 2015 at 08:28:22 AM EST
I haven't used my kindle in a couple years - in fact I just bought the latest Erik Larson book (about how Al Quadia attacked the Lusitania http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307408868/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and didn't even think about getting it for the kindle. I guess I prefer to cuddle up with a real book as opposed to a bunch of glowing 1's and 0's...

I should take it for business travel though - it would save me from those impulse purchases at the discount bookstores in the airports.

I've been real lucky the past few trips - I get sent through the priority line where you can leave you shoes on and your laptop stays in your bag! I suspect it's because my new manbag commands respect from the TSA lackeys! Or my tired and worn appearance makes them feel sorry for me - either way I win!!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

It must be the manbag by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Mar 12, 2015 at 10:45:01 AM EST
because I'm pretty sure I've got the weary and worn look down.