Print Story Star Wars
By MillMan (Fri Dec 18, 2015 at 07:16:41 PM EST) (all tags)
spoilery stuff.

Since I can't really put this on facebook.

I give it a 7/10. It was fun.

Bad: straight lifting the plot of episode 4 was a little disappointing. Fan service went a little far. I think Adam Driver is an above average Hollywood actor, but it was hard to not see him as his character from Girls for a lot of the movie. "Hi, my name is Kylo Ren. I'm an emotionally undeveloped, privileged white male millenial who lives off my parents, and I've decided I'm joining the dark side to destroy the galaxy because fuck them and everyone else."

Good: Daisy Ridley and John Boyega. BB-8's cutesy stuff was well done and avoided the worst of C-3PO and that other dipshit. Lasers and light sabers. The music.

Recreating the feel of the originals was nice but I feel like the bar has been raised especially over the past decade for action films. As far as theater experiences this year Mad Max (holy shit) and even Furious 7 (not really even a fan of the franchise) were on another level than this.

< Books I've Read This Year 2015 | i miss you. >
Star Wars | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Basically agree by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 3) #1 Fri Dec 18, 2015 at 07:37:22 PM EST
I enjoyed it more like 9/10 thanks to nostalgia, but I think someone who had never heard of Star Wars would probably give it a fair 7/10.

I was practically bursting into tears though when the X-wings came to the rescue over the lake, locking foils into attack position. And I loved the idea of the scavengers living for years just on the scrap value of those colossal wrecked spaceships.

i really want by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Dec 18, 2015 at 08:13:21 PM EST
the other dipshit to turn out to be Snoke.
jar-jar by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Dec 18, 2015 at 09:25:38 PM EST
ie anyone from the collection of characters made for the kids.

The boy saw it today by Herring (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Dec 18, 2015 at 08:41:02 PM EST
he made similar remarks about the fan stuff. I've got no plans to see it.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Agreed that plot scavenging was disappointing by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Dec 19, 2015 at 12:57:22 PM EST
Also, lifted from my text to my kid (WTF, Messenger? No can C&P?):

Phasma... by gzt (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Dec 19, 2015 at 06:45:21 PM EST
... is supposed to be in the next one so perhaps there will be redemption.

hmm by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Dec 19, 2015 at 11:27:26 PM EST
I did wonder why even bother casting her when she's just hiding under her fancy shiny boss-trooper armor with nothing to do. I mean Daniel Craig's cameo was a more memorable role.

WHA? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 01:14:19 AM EST
Which scene is he in?

linkage inside by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 01:37:34 AM EST
He was the storm trooper who got jedi mind tricked. I didn't recognize his voice; saw it posted on reddit after the fact.

Unless you're explicitly shown by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 01:13:45 AM EST
departing SKB before it exploded, then you're dead to me. It's how storytelling's done.

that's how i feel, too by gzt (4.00 / 1) #16 Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 11:34:32 PM EST
but you know they operate on the rule of "no corpse = not dead"

I'd say 8 or 8.5 by gzt (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Dec 19, 2015 at 05:12:59 PM EST
I pretty much agree about your first "bad", though I didn't mind so much (except, it's like, jiminy christmas, another planet-destroying sphere thingy). I think the fan service wasn't too much. I don't know anything about Driver, so I was not distracted. The plot problems were not the sort of thing that I noticed until afterward, so that's good.

I really liked it by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 11:37:37 AM EST
but I don't expect much from Star Wars movies other than to be entertained.  I was thoroughly entertained by this movie.  A++++ will watch again!

It amuses me... by ana (4.00 / 2) #13 Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 12:08:42 PM EST
when parents of young children say, "will watch again". Possibly a thousand times again, if one of the kids decides this is a favorite.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

heh by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #14 Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 04:23:28 PM EST
the boy is past that phase, and star wars isn't sparkly enough for the girl to obsessively re-watch.

no, this will be all me.

Am I wrong? by theboz (4.00 / 1) #15 Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 06:38:06 PM EST
I thought this was the best Star Wars movie ever made. Yes, it's clear that they did a lot of fan service, but after the prequels it seemed necessary. Overall it had the heart of the original trilogy and fit in well, and gave a good mix of showing us what we wanted to see while answering questions -- yet creating even more questions and getting us hyped for the next one. The two main reasons I rate this one higher than the originals are 1) the characters are more complex, and 2) the pacing was much better. Darth Vader started off just being a faceless bad guy who was mean, but had no depth. Luke was pretty whiny but got better over the course of the trilogy. Leia was just eye candy. Han Solo was probably the most interesting one. Kylo Ren seems like he should be a hero, but is trying really really hard to be a villain. He also isn't fully refined and is obviously not on the level of a sith yet. Rey is confused and mysterious. Finn represents the audience and is just this somewhat cowardly guy with a good heart. In terms of the pacing, the original trilogy had too many scenes of just standing around staring, walking around while looking at stuff, pressing buttons, or whatever boring crap. The overall story was great but they could have edited it a little better (and the editing only got worse as time went on thanks to George Lucas.) So to me, this was the best in the Star Wars series so far.
- - - - -
I'd agree it's the best or at least tied by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Dec 21, 2015 at 02:30:27 AM EST
I gave it a 7/10 in an absolute sense.

The acting is a lot better than the originals - it's not even close, even with a bit of wooden acting from the original cast. The acting and plot, however, aren't as good as Nolan's Batman movies, for example.

I think up until Die Hard in the late 80's all action movies were campy as shit with bad acting, giant plot holes and generally non-existent plot. I was watching the end of whatever superman movie has the "kneel before zod" scene recently and the quality is something I would expect from high school kids or maybe college theater kids making a 20 minute movie in 2015. It's stunning how poorly it's aged.

So anyway I think acting and plot quality took a step up during the 90s, so maybe from Die Hard in 88 to, I dunno, probably The Matrix at the end of 90s.

Now in the past 10 years I think we've taken another step up with the top-tier action movies. Acting and plot quality aren't on par with the best dramas but they come close in some cases. I thought The Dark Knight was tantalizingly close to an all time pantheon movie - it didn't get there but I was surprised to even think it possible for an action movie. So a movie like that is getting my 9/10. Star Wars gets a "7/10, generally enjoyable."

I don't claim this is unbiased by any means...probably most of the reason I liked furious 7 as much as I did is because I was mildly drunk and in a good mood that evening. (they also figured out how to appeal to modern, very self-aware audiences, but that's another convo.)

I have trouble rating it relative to other movies by theboz (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Dec 22, 2015 at 06:01:36 PM EST
Since we went to the first showing on opening night, and since my boys are fanatics of it, there was simply too much excitement which added to the fun.  We're going to see it again this week and hopefully with a second viewing I can nitpick a little more or something.

In terms of old action movies, you're onto something.  They weren't at all realistic so while they were fun especially for kids, they just ended up being silly as an adult.  I do think that we've gone to the other extreme now -- the Batman movies you quoted worked fantastically, but that type of mood and darkness ruined the latest Superman movie.  It seems like everything has to be dark and serious because it worked so well for Batman that they run the risk of ruining action movies (especially with all the remakes) by going against the spirit of the originals.

Also I'd argue that humor has taken a similar approach.  Humor is mostly dead except for people acting neurotic, but that's probably more due to how culturally we don't want to offend people, and partaking in humor that could be offensive tends to be more of a niche thing.
- - - - -

I liked it. Worth the $20 for IMAX 3-d. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Dec 21, 2015 at 09:11:13 AM EST
Kylo Ren. Hmmm. Almost a meta take on fannish behavior, to the point of basically cosplaying Vader. I like that when things go wrong he takes it out on the equipment rather than a person. The scene where he's having his tantrum and the two stormtroopers are "Nope! Time to patrol that corridor!"

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Let's not over-analyze by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Dec 21, 2015 at 09:59:02 AM EST
Star Wars was only ever meant to be good, campy fun.  TFA succeeded on every level it needed to.  It had the feel of the original trilogy but with generally better writing and comprehensively better acting.  I refuse to give it a number score.  We've all become entertainment snobs incapable of just enjoying things for what they are.  I dropped $120 on IMAX tickets and popcorn, and my whole family left the movie smiling and talking about when we could go back.

Maybe I'm a cynic - or I just don't get it by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Dec 22, 2015 at 06:46:20 AM EST
Granted - the only Star Wars movie I've ever seen was the original (as a kid) - so I'm not a fanboy although I really did really like the original.

I thought the story line was far too predictable and the humour was forced and the Lord Voldemort scenes didn't work and while the action scenes were fun it wasn't enough to save it for me. The retro vibe didn't evoke nostalgia as I was expecting a more cutting edge feel.

Sadly - I feel the Emperor has no clothes.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

I liked it by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Jan 02, 2016 at 01:25:45 PM EST
But it was Abram's reboot of the first one. The acting and directing was good and I liked the new characters (what contrast from the sequels!) but I was constantly thinking about which scene had been nicked from the original trilogy.Hopefully it's just setting the scene for the more originality in the next ones.

Saw it on the IMAX which was my first ever IMAX film, not sure if I'd bother again, found the googles distracting and some of the 3D effects were a bit fake.

Star Wars | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback