Print Story wild goose chase
Food
By clover kicker (Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 08:25:41 AM EST) (all tags)
My goose will soon be cooked, sock bankruptcy, my current musical obsession.

Only a couple more days until hunting weekend. I'm crawling the walls in anticipation, my bags have been packed since the weekend.

One of the lads is bringing a batch of wild goose breasts, I'm trying to decide how to prepare them. Almighty Google says to cook 'em medium which seems unnatural given how paranoid you're supposed to be with chicken but I guess we'll find out.

A couple years ago I read a blurb on "sock bankruptcy", basically you throw out all your current umpteen different socks and buy all new and identical, half black and half white. No more fiddling with orphan socks. Admittedly sock matching is a minor nuisance, but there are very few nuisances in my power to eliminate and I'll take any fucking thing I can get at this point.

Current musical obsession - Doc Watson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vls4W5Eydc

< It's been a while | We thought we were smarter than the Bugs >
wild goose chase | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The fourteen year old rarely wears matching socks by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 08:50:43 AM EST
she likes the mismatched look. I think she makes an exception for her Dalek socks.

Guy I worked for... by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 09:10:20 AM EST
Always wears purple socks. I guess he must buy them by the gross.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Goose by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 09:12:29 AM EST
Goose is weird. It's a very fatty bird, generally, but is hard to keep from going dry. If you roast one whole, you have to stop and drain the grease half-way through. (Save it for roasting potatoes later. Holy crow that's delicious.) It's really easy to overcook goose, and like other waterfowl (duck), works best if you treat it like a very lean beef. Unlike beef, though, I really recommend brining it first.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

You don't have to stop and drain by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 10:44:46 AM EST
Cut slits in the skin for the fat to drain, and roast it in a rack over potatoes. Works for duck,too.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

or chicken by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 12:13:13 PM EST
Butterfly the chicken, rub butter under the skin, put it on a rack over the potatoes.

I learned about it on America's Test Kitchen, someone has kindly ripped it off transcribed it for me -

Sometimes the grocery store has butterflied chickens sealed in plastic with a marinade, those work well for this.

depth of pan by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Nov 06, 2015 at 12:05:53 AM EST
It was the amount of fat in the bottom of the pan that meant I needed to drain it. But I kept that jar of goose grease for a month or two. Many good potatoes.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Sock matching by Oberon (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 11:11:36 AM EST
I am a non-matcher -- though I will accept and wear a matching pair if one comes up randomly. This is subtly different to matching-contrarians who will throw back one sock if they get a matching pair.

(Also I will only wear pairs of similar length and thickness, so not completely odd socks).

How now, mad spirit?
In theory, I'm a non-matcher by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 09:27:11 PM EST
But all of my socks are the same brand, product, and color so it doesn't really matter.

Cicero, The Republic
goose breast by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 01:32:10 PM EST
how's it been handled since ? A soak in buttermilk helps tenderize it and what not (reduce gameyness).

Little chunks, wrapped in bacon and a jalapeno slice are excellent over the fire/grill.

(I'm assuming it's wild goose, not domesticated, so also look for shot in it.. The 3 times I've cooked or had wild goose, sure enough I get the CRUNCH of shot in my serving.. )

handled by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Nov 05, 2015 at 02:20:31 PM EST
AFAIK they went straight into the freezer.

And yeah they're wild so I'm expecting lots of shot.

wild goose chase | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback