Print Story somewhat annoyed at property management co.
Wizards and Hobbits
By gzt (Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 12:26:29 PM EST) gzt, no heat, idiots, friggin' intense (all tags)
In which gzt doesn't have heat for over two weeks in November.

So on the 7th I was like, hey guys, the blower on the furnace is being wonky, when I hit the switch on the thermostat to turn the blower on it doesn't go, though it usually seems to come on when the heat goes on. Then on the 10th I was like, the blower doesn't come on at all and now the heat doesn't come on no matter how high I turn the thermostat. Not sure if it's the thermostat or the furnace itself, but the thing is I DO NOT HAVE HEAT NOW. Then on the 17th I called them up and was like, uh, so I haven't had heat for a week, and that hasnt' been so bad because the average high has been like 60, but it's getting cold in a few days, what's the deal? And they were like, well, we don't have anything on the work orders you submitted, but you're scheduled to have like the annual furnace inspection on Thursday 19th or something. And I was like, I guess I'll take it, but, you know, it's getting cold soon.

Anyway, the guy came and was like, uh, this furnace should be replaced, it's ancient and repairing it properly would be like $600 of parts, so they might as well spring for a new one. And I was like, great, hope they spring for it, but, you know, there's a storm tomorrow...

Anyway, the guy said maybe he'll get sent out again tomorrow (today) to set something up in the interim. If not, then...?

I'm kind of annoyed because if somebody tells you in November that their heat isn't working, you can't have two weeks before you get it fixed. I mean, for fucking out loud. If it hadn't been unseasonably warm until today, I would be boned.

I'll be fine, I'm just surprised that they don't see being without heat for two weeks in November as unacceptable.

< Paris Question | Pop a wheelie >
somewhat annoyed at property management co. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Maybe I'm too verbose in my work orders by gzt (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 12:28:45 PM EST
In the first one, I described the problem in detail and suggested it's either the thermostat control or the blower. In the second, I was like, the thing doesn't respond to what I'm going on the thermostat at all anymore, so the furnace doesn't work, no heat. Maybe I should just say, "FURNACE NO WORKY."

Sounds better by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 01:05:41 PM EST
Testing "FURNACE NO WORKY" involves a thermometer and passes only when temperatures are appropriate.
Testing "thermostat or blower" involves checking the thermostat settings and if it clicks the fan on or off. It leaves plenty of failure modes that are still cold.
With this crew, you think you would understand that when you report a bug and give test conditions, you should make sure you can live with an answer that passes all given tests.

Wumpus

PS. This is a side effect of the "customer is always right". If the customer is paying, you replace *every* part they complain about, because you otherwise you will be forever more "responsible" for that part. If the evil dog is still on this board, I'm sure he can fill in sufficient details.

Do you have an HVAC background? by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 02:40:21 PM EST
If not, I would certainly limit the complaint to "we set the thermostat to X, the furnace didn't come on even though the house was X - n degrees."

Cicero, The Republic
Another overly entitled college kid by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #2 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 12:31:59 PM EST
Do you think George Washington had an electrically powered furnace?

Bah... by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 03:16:00 PM EST
My employer, a Cambridge College, is having trouble with one of the heating boilers. A few days after being lit for the winter it was discovered the hot water was going somewhere but that place was not the buildings it was supposed to go. The Master's Garden currently has a big trench through it, the Head Gardener is, ummm, "unhappy" with the excavations, we've all been given electric heaters for affected offices and student rooms and we lose hot water for most of next tuesday as they plumb in temporary pipes.
Most of the buildings are listed and one of them was built around the boiler in the 1920s, there's no room to put a new boiler in without removing the old one and no way of getting the old one out without resorting to methods potentially hazardous to the rest of the building. The building my office is in does have fireplaces in most of the rooms, but the academics (most of the recent fires seem to be caused by the Fellows rather than students, but...) kept setting fire to places so we're not allowed to use them

Is there a tenant's union? by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 12:35:02 PM EST
Threatening to withhold rent often gets a landlord's attention.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

and now I get to make the following correction: by ana (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 12:35:45 PM EST
 s/'s/s'/

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Check your local laws by lm (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 02:46:45 PM EST
Landlords are typically required to have a functional heat system. Usually the language is written into the code that heat must be provided if the temperature falls below n degrees.

In many states there is a process by which you can start putting your rent into escrow instead of paying it to the landlord if they aren't meeting their legal obligations. You might consider investigating that avenue. If it's available, it will get the landlord's attention real quick.

Cicero, The Republic
in TX by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Nov 21, 2015 at 03:15:47 PM EST
you call the landlord/property company and say "the a/c isn't working" and they are at your place in <24 hours.

In PA by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Nov 21, 2015 at 07:11:40 PM EST
Your heat gets fixed in 24 hours and even my idiot landlord prioritizes it.
I'm pretty sure that's what it's supposed to be... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Nov 22, 2015 at 04:22:45 PM EST
...over here, too.