Print Story Shit shit shit shit shit
By yankeehack (Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 11:21:27 AM EST) (all tags)
This diary has mostly shitty content inside.

Question: Do you ever think we'll see sustained attacks from terrorists? Why should I be scared if all you're doing is attacking somewhere - or a few somewhere(s) where I'd likely be - every few years?

Other stuff inside.

I gave a small amount to Bernie this weekend while watching the debate. As much as I enjoy him being a PITA and bringing up important issues, I don't think he did well on foreign policy during this past debate. But that's just me.

...

No news on the job front, other than I finally got paid for October. No idea if I am getting a November check or if founder is hoping we'd forget about it.

On a call last week it became very apparent that stuff won't change unless annoying co-worker and I threaten to quit.

I ended up inadvertently bouncing my rent check - but I caught it and warned my landlord - because of an ill-timed bank to bank transfer. I'm sick of dealing with this shit.

I've been putting out resumes and posted my resume to a shitty career site in hopes of getting a bite or two. Only got a thanks but no from a small local consulting outfit (which is fine).

...

My car got a big dent in the rear bumper last week when it was parked outside of my place. No one owned up to it, so I put a note on my car asking if anyone saw anything.

My next door neighbor narc'd, and said she thought it was one of the milennials on the end of my block with a big jeep. He's got silver paint on the side of his front bumper.

Since no one saw, there's nothing I can really do. I don't have the energy to argue with anyone else -- especially a shitty neighbor -- right now.

...

College news.

LO got into college - the state school in our old home state. She was virtually assured of admittance, but still, one less worry. In addition, she got into the most selective academic program on campus. (I think the only reason why the program is unranked nationally is because of the undergraduate admittance requirements of the university as a whole.) But all good, still. We'll hear of possible monetary awards next month.

The other good (but might have come too late news): LO finally got the score she was capable of earning on her ACT test from last month. Which means she's in the hunt for the schools she thought were reach schools.

The bad part is that the scoring for the ACT is going slow, and her early application for the dream school in the southern city known for it's food and music and culture was due on Sunday. The school doesn't require the writing part of the test (which she took because other schools require it). LO didn't submit her in hand, lower SAT scores, because...so her application is waiting on whenever the ACT people score her test. She has an email thread going on with an admissions counselor with the question of "if my score is late but everything else is in, will you still consider my application as early?" I don't know if she's heard back yet on that.

The other unfortunate part of the late ACT test is that she can't submit her score to the school she got admitted to for scholarship consideration.

Also, apparently, LO was saying that if she they separated out her ACT score from the writing/language parts, apparently her ACT score would be higher. I have no idea how/why that works.

....

In other LO news, I confronted her about her weekend sleepover activities this past weekend; after we knew about her college admittance, her taking the SATs again and her completing the application to dream school.

It was a perfect storm of her not giving a shit at all.

Let's just say we argued.

"Of course I lied to you, you wouldn't let me do it."
"You should be happy that I'm not partying up here!"
"You can't go to his coach and ruin his life!"
"I don't see what's wrong with what I'm doing!"
"I'll be 18 in a few months, what's the big deal?"

She disappeared again this weekend on Saturday, swearing she was with girlfriends. And turned off Find My iPhone. And we're just growling at each other.

Someone needs to get a job when the child support runs out, which is when hockey season ends coincidentally.

I oh so look forward to dealing with this shit for the next 9 months. I hope she enjoys getting interrogated by her aunties this holiday season.

So, there's that.

< How many ears has Captain Kirk? | Help >
Shit shit shit shit shit | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
when the child support runs out by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 11:36:48 AM EST
Oof. Hope she's paying attention to that deadline...

Also hope she and the bf are Taking the Usual Precautions to ensure you don't become Grandma Hack.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I know by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 12:39:36 PM EST
If she wants to party like an adult she can start by paying to be an adult. I'm thinking of some tough love by dropping her off my phone plan too. Shit's expensive.

She's got that 99.9% birth control, so that is one less worry I hope.

Sustained terrorist activities from overseas? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 12:26:56 PM EST
I doubt it, the oceans are a big barrier.

I suspect ISIS/ISIL can plan several operations in Europe/mideast/Asia for what it would cost to plan one in North America.

We still want to visit Paris in four or five years, assuming we can save the money somehow.

All things considered by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 3) #4 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 02:41:36 PM EST
I still fear Christian terror more than Islamic terror.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Then you have not been paying attention n/t by gmd (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 04:36:07 PM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
The Christian is much closer. n/t by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 04:50:25 PM EST

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

until recently by wumpus (4.00 / 2) #11 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 07:41:50 PM EST
the Christian target was much closer (I moved a few years ago but was there a good decade). As in on the block directly across from me. Remember that doctor in Iowa murdered for performing abortions? The surviving member of that practice works on that block (and is the only third trimester provider in Maryland). The local Christians therefore target:
The doctor in question.
The doctor's landlord.
The landlord's inlaws (the parents are either dead or have already been targeted since long before this).
The landlord's kids. Yes, even protesting in front of their school asking "will no one rid us of these troublesome kids."
I've never noticed harassment of patients. I suspect it has more to do with Maryland law (and why he practices here) than anything else.

No, nobody (since Iowa) has been murdered so far. It still doesn't make me happy about Christian terrorists at all.

Wumpus

another bernie bro. wow. by the mariner (2.67 / 3) #7 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 05:09:10 PM EST
whenever i hear someone promoting the candidate of violence against women, i think back to my time as a hedge fund manager in downtown manhattan when the planes hit the world trade center. even as the maniacs piloting the planes forced the engines to maximum thrust to cause the greatest possible damage to america, i knew my senator, hillary rodham clinton, would be there to provide for the safety and well-being of my body, my fund, and my profession.

to me, this election comes down to character. do we spend our time relitigating the same old class hatred or do we come together behind a unifying candidate who brings together small donors, some 60% of them women, and more traditional donor bases? with radical islamic terror being an even more crucial issue than ever before, i know we need real leadership from a real new yorker. that's why i'll be supporting hillary clinton for president. real leadership, ready on day 1.

ah, the good ol' days by gzt (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 01:05:22 PM EST
nice.

what was old is new again by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 02:00:15 PM EST

all of this has happened before by gzt (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 06:26:30 PM EST
and all of this will happen again.

a zero from a manarchist! by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 04:23:02 PM EST
i'll wear this as a badge of honor!

according to my facebook friends by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 06:50:31 PM EST
ISIS is coming and it's to time to round up the brown people and get your guns in order.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
If you are fortunate enough to live in a country by gmd (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 07:23:59 PM EST
Where you have not been neutered/disarmed by your 'leaders'.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Back in 1940 by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 07:35:26 PM EST
The stalwart English were prepared to meet Hitler's panzers and fallschirmjaeger with staves, shovels and pots of boiling lard. Where did that fighting spirit go?

something something America something something ED by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 11:05:07 PM EST
something something prosthetic phallus

Chill out, snowflake.

does it matter? by wumpus (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 10:18:22 AM EST
On the same block as my above "terrorist target #1" there were 3 murders during that period in time. One was a bludgening of a Catholic priest (burglary/robbery gone wrong), the other involved a domestic violence case involving an ex and child. My guess is a gun could have been used, but wouldn't change much. Any lack of fear of terrorism in the US should be overshadowed by a fear of your neighbor and of the cops.

The last time I heard about a terrorist attack in Scotland, it involved some idiot with no idea what explosives involved. Thus, he at least survived long enough to be attacked by the local Scots. The Scots, being "neutered", proceeded to properly neuter the terrorist (unfortunately breaking his own foot while kicking the hapless jihadist in the balls). I'd have to say that even with the remarkably low ownership of firearms (8 per 100 Scots, very low even for the EU) it seems to have only changed the weapons of their fighting (and presumably allowed most Scots to live a bit longer). The whole point of the rambling statement is that somehow this is always ignored in US discussion of weapons (stupid US exceptionalism). I might not say that most firearms in the US are in the hands of those of Scottish descent, but they certainly own more than most (and being a significant portion of the US population, makes it much easier to have "most of them").

Wumpus

Great-great-great-great-$wumpusname-grandad married a Scot, and his son married a Scot, and so on down until dear old dad married a girl of German descent.

See, some English still have fighting spirit by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 11:27:42 AM EST
the Scot English sorts.

Of course I lied to you, you wouldn't let me do it by gzt (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 11:01:35 AM EST
Yeah, that shouldn't end well.

Yeah by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #20 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 02:40:28 PM EST
she is trying to reconcile everything and make me happy again, I think.

Yesterday she was being extremely clingy and went to the supermarket without complaint and got some other shit done.

Then last night, a boy she had a crush on who is at another local college called her and I let her go hang out with him for a bit.

She was surprised...but then understood I am encouraging her to move away from the wannabe jock.

I'm playing the long game here.

Risk assessment by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #16 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 11:38:58 AM EST
I live in London, and we had one murderous attack on July 7th 2005 on the tube and a beheading of a soldier by two radicalised youths last year. A number of plots have been disrupted and a couple have been stopped via the incompetence of the terrorists.

Yes, it's a real threat but it's not something happening everyday and in terms of other risks to your life, it's minimal.

and... by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 12:46:18 PM EST
...some have been stopped by various security services. Who knows, anything handled before it becomes hot is still avoidance.
-- The revolution will not be televised.
Sustained attacks by terrorists by lm (4.00 / 4) #22 Wed Nov 18, 2015 at 05:04:43 AM EST
White supremacists have sustained a low level of terrorist attacks in the US for my entire lifetime. I don't expect that to stop any time soon.

Doesn't change my behavior any. I'm fortunate to not be in their crosshairs.

But, even if I were a target, getting hit by a truck while crossing the street would still be more likely than being involved in a terrorist attack.

The problem is that imaginations find it far more easy to grasp the terrorist attack than getting run over by a truck.

Cicero, The Republic
The LO moniker is giving me cognitive dissociation by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 12:08:38 AM EST
at this point in time.

You Americans never cease to amaze me. by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #24 Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 09:36:41 AM EST
For homicides:

US gun deaths per year : over 11,000
France gun deaths per year: about 150

Lets say the events of last week multiplied that risk by 5 and you still wouldn't even get close.

My advice is that if you live in America, you should flee immediately as its far to dangerous to live there. Go and live somewhere relatively peaceful like Syria...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Is gun deaths what you want to look at? by lm (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 02:20:53 PM EST
I'd think that intentional homicide would be a better metric in which case living in the US is only about 4x as dangerous as living in France.

Sure, accidental gun deaths happen, but given their proportion of gun deaths, I don't think that they significantly alter the numbers.

Cicero, The Republic
I was looking at gun homicides only by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 06:37:33 PM EST
For the USA, there are a further 21000 suicide by gun, 505 accidental deaths and 84000 non fatal injuries (deliberate or accidental).

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I understand that by lm (4.00 / 1) #27 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 04:48:59 AM EST
My point is that when guns are available, they're usually the weapon of choice for murders (and suicides for that matter). So comparing homicides by firearms in a nation with strict gun control to homicides by firearms in a nation without strict gun control tells you nothing with regards to personal safety issue.

What really matters is how likely you are to be murdered. The implement doesn't matter much.

Cicero, The Republic
We're talking by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 05:27:20 AM EST
...about the threat of death by terrorist or shooter, and whether there's an increased risk in visiting Europe. The answer is sure the risk has increased, and increased substantially, but compared to the level of armed violence in the US its a drop in the ocean.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
'Drop in the ocean' is overstated by lm (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 02:15:48 PM EST
Violent death at the hands of someone else is only 4x as likely in the US than in France. Sure, that's an increased risk. But it's not even one order of magnitude away.

And I'd also argue that the level of risk in Europe has not increased and certainly hasn't increased substantially.

Cicero, The Republic