Print Story don't forget to reset your clocks
Food
By gzt (Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 12:07:51 AM EST) gzt, witch, spell, friggin' intense, baseball (all tags)
your every-six-months reminder.

I've been fiddling with cronometer.com because I like having numbers. I'll get bored in a week or so. But it tells me so much about everything. I get, like, 50-70g of fiber per day. I get all my vitamins except choline, but a lot of foods don't have choline information.

AMUSING: somebody at church suggested that perhaps the occasional flareups of the wifing unit's chronic illness are due to a witch casting a spell on her. His mother had apparently suggested it when she was visiting from the Old Country and he agreed it could possibly be an issue. GREAT. So now I have to go on a witch hunt. She wasn't there this week, which was good, since it's definitely a thing she would and did enjoy more being told about than being afflicted with. She was, at least until today, more willing to start coming back and just ignore, eg, the God-talking guy, but some nonsense has been floating around the news and it's like, are you going to spend half of your energy thinking about this stuff (she doesn't have much energy)? Because starting to think about it becomes quite consuming, apparently.

The Cubs run was fun while it lasted. I'm disappointed that Murphy didn't keep his streak going after this. I don't really care about these teams except for my distaste for the idea of the American League - it's not actually baseball. That said, I did listen to last night's game because, once it got started, I heard that it was turning epic. It was pretty fun. I'm listening to tonight's and not really caring. ADDENDUM A LITTLE LATER: okay, it sounds like there were some amusing plays, I'll have to see clips later.

My project isn't working well.

The Republicans are so depressing. I mean, I didn't like Romney, I didn't like McCain, I didn't like Bush, but if any of them won, I could see them as president. The Bush years were an unmitigated disaster - everything the conservatives complain about in schools is a result of NCLB - but they weren't so bad. I mean, we got into a terrible quagmire in the Middle East, but, honestly, it took like 12 years for that to really bite us in the ass, not like whatever war we get into next. That one is going to be horrible. And but like so that's what the problem is with the next GOP presidential candidate: this field is horrible and they're going to pull the trigger. None of these jokers can govern.

< Car Talk | Fugee face >
don't forget to reset your clocks | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
doesn't matter, hillary will destroy them. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 04:52:58 AM EST
YASSS QUEEN SLAY

If I were American by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 06:43:24 AM EST
I couldn't bring myself to vote for her.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
i probably won't either. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 07:38:10 AM EST
hillary clinton is a classic example of what people mean when they say the difference between republicans and democrats is the difference between coke and pepsi. she was a key supporter "on the left" of welfare reform, the iraq war, finance deregulation, and various criminal justice system reforms that have been such an embarrassment these past decades.

watching her campaign claim she's the "real progressive" vs. a democratic socialist is hilarious.

I'd rather re-elect by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 09:37:58 AM EST
Bill

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
bill also bad by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 09:43:29 AM EST
for pretty much the same reasons...

right-wingers didn't hate bill clinton by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 10:30:15 AM EST
because they disagreed with his politics. they hated him because he was moving in on their position in the american power structure. the idea that a democrats were going to start winning on the reagan strategy of baldly representing the reptilian agenda, brutalizing the poor and powerless, waging war on people normal americans had never heard of, and enriching contractors they were only vaguely aware of -- the idea of such a thing infuriated them, as i'm sure it would anyone who'd sold their soul for power in this way and met someone who was even more unprincipled and could beat them at it.

the main innovation of hillary over bill is that she manages to put a sort of "lean in" feminist gloss on the same thing.

It's a two for by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 12:50:29 PM EST
You elect Hilary and you get Bill too - they're a pair.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

They're not really a pair. by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 30, 2015 at 12:01:00 PM EST
Bill Clinton was a slippery and oily dealmaker, whereas Hillary just puts peoples backs up and makes you instinctively want to refuse any request she makes. Even if you say they're a pair, it's Hillary in the driving seat with Bill as the passenger this time round.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
he'll make a lovely First Lady by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Nov 02, 2015 at 08:48:14 AM EST
I can't wait to see what the fashion rags have to say about his clothing choices.

Heh by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 12:57:38 PM EST
The GOP has been train wreck since early in Bush's second term. In fact I think it was the whole Terri Schiavo debacle that points to the end of the feared dominance that Rove and Co. held over the Dems since Clinton left office.

And while I'll be the first one in line to cast my vote for Bill Clinton next Nov I have to say that it's not ideally who I would like to vote for but egads - I can't imagine voting for any of those GOP knuckleheads.

What a mess.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

yeah the 06 election really bowled them over by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 01:06:13 PM EST
but it's shocking how the congress flipped back so quickly.

Sorry bout your Cubs by the way by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Oct 29, 2015 at 03:29:33 PM EST
Yeah - I don't think the Democratic party was ever really that strong in 06 - it was as much a vote against the GOP nutters as it was for the Dem's platform.

Funny thing - it's easy to forget what an unmitigated mess the country was in in 08 when Obama took over. Teetering on the brink of a real depression with all the things that come with it - banks closing, houses foreclosing like crazy, high unemployment, etc. The current people have done an amazing job in many respects - not sure how they couldn't keep power in Congress but that's politics.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Demographics and gerrymandering by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Oct 30, 2015 at 06:14:36 PM EST
I can't remember if it was the 2010 or 2012 election where there were more Dem votes for house members than Rep votes for house members but Reps still won the majority of seats.

Some of that is due to gerrymandering.

More of it is due to the way the borders of natural communities fall.

The best thing that could be done to end it is probably jungle-primaries. Second best thing is non-partisan redistricting.

From what I hear, Ohio is laying the groundwork to move to a more non-partisan redistricting commission. I caught a couple hours about it on one of C-bus' NPR stations while driving back from my family reunion earlier this month.

Cicero, The Republic